Issues since ICS update - "Unfortunately, wallpaper has stopped"

droidby82

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I have been having an issue with my phone since I upgraded to ICS, about two-three weeks ago.

My phone worked fine on Gingerbread. When I updated, my phone got stuck on the white HTC screen for a long time. I let it sit for at least 20 minutes, and then restarted. After updating, it seemed like apps were sluggish and stuttery. I use Go Launcher, and it definitely wasn't working well, and even though I set it as my default it kept shifting back to Sense. I think I had some crashes as well (don't remember everything too clearly at this point).

So I decided I would do a factory reset. I downloaded My backup pro and backed up my apps and stuff. Then did the reset. Everything seemed ok at first after the reset. Then I started restoring my apps from My backup pro, and at some point during the restore the message "Unfortunately, wallpaper has stopped" popped up. I would hit ok and it would pop up again in about 2 seconds. I restarted the phone, and it restarted to a black screen. The status bar was still visible and normal. When I pulled down the status bar and clicked on a notification (new email, for example) and opened gmail, the same message "Unfortunately, wallpaper has stopped" would come up.

I ended up doing another factory reset, again after which everything seemed ok. This time I didn't do a mass restore from My backup pro. First I got the phone set back up the way I like (Go Launcher, disabling apps in settings, etc). Then I restored some apps one or two at a time. This worked fine except somehow the data from the apps didn't restore. That was kind of a bummer, but not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things. Everything continued working well until last night. I was going to bed and set my alarm (Alarm Clock Xtreme), and set the phone back on my nightstand. A couple minutes later my phone lit up bright, and I looked over to see that it was displaying the white HTC screen and wouldn't change. I powered down and restarted, only to get that same annoying "Unfortunately, wallpaper has stopped" message. It has been displaying that ever since -- I hit ok, and it pops back up in 2 seconds. Apps can run in the background, so in the 2 seconds after I hit "Ok" I can open up my email, and then hit "Ok" again and read an email, etc. So it doesn't seem to actually be stopping any apps from working. I've used the internet as well (Boat) although obviously very slowly!

So I could do yet another factory reset, but I really don't want to be doing that every couple weeks, and have to re-download my apps and re-set up my home screens. I'd really like to get to the bottom of this.

(Oh also: I'm not really well-versed in tech or smartphone speak, so please talk down to me when you explain stuff :) ) Thanks!

droidby82

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Re: Issues since ICS update - "Unfortunately, wallpaper has stopp

Forgot to mention -- my phone is not rooted. Everything is stock.

Thanks again! I'd really appreciate any help.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
When you do the factory resets, are you doing them via the HBOOTy screen, or are you doing it via settings? With my old DInc, I discovered that you get different (better) results if you reset via HBOOTy.

As you've done before, I would set everything up piece by piece with new downloads & installs - not backups.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

droidby82

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

I did it through settings. And just did my phone, not the SD card.

I can try the HBOOTy reset. Can you tell me how I do that, or point me to directions online?

Thank you!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site

power off
hold the volume down rocker down
hold the power button down it will flash a few times and then go into hboot
choose factory reset

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site

power off
hold the volume down rocker down
hold the power button down it will flash a few times and then go into hboot
choose factory reset

What pizza said!

I always make sure Fast Boot is off first (Settings > Power).
Then, I pull the battery.
Follow what pizza said.

droidby82

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site

Ok, I did the HBOOT factory reset last night and so far so good! I hope it solves the problem for good. If not, I'll be back :)

Thanks everyone for your help!