Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By yodatom10
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Water damage indicators

What exactly are they supposed to look like when there was damage? On Rezound, there appear to be two: one on connections side of the battery, and another, a bit smaller, on the side opposite of the SIM card. In my case, on both there is a pattern of fine white and red short horizontal lines. It's not what is meant when said that these indicators turn red? God, I hope.

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Simon_y7 View Post
    What exactly are they supposed to look like when there was damage? On Rezound, there appear to be two: one on connections side of the battery, and another, a bit smaller, on the side opposite of the SIM card. In my case, on both there is a pattern of fine white and red short horizontal lines. It's not what is meant when said that these indicators turn red? God, I hope.
    Oh oh did it get wet ?

Sent from my Jelly bean powered Galaxy Nexus
    I'm a android know it all with too much time on my hands
    If I've helped you make sure to hit that thanks button
    Retired Ambassador

Default Re: Water damage indicators

Taking the phone into a steamy bathroom too may times will show up as water damage....
    http://forums.androidcentral.com/signaturepics/sigpic70132_2.gif
    Thanked by:
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

It slipped off my belt on a soggy, swampy field, in the dark, and I discovered it missing about 15 min later. The back part of the Defender was on and it was in a leather horizontal pouch, but the charging port was exposed. I saw somewhere else that the white/red X pattern was normal, but I got it apart and the battery out, and am reluctant to put it together and turn on.

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It slipped off my belt on a soggy, swampy field, in the dark, and I discovered it missing about 15 min later. The back part of the Defender was on and it was in a leather horizontal pouch, but the charging port was exposed. I saw somewhere else that the white/red X pattern was normal, but I got it apart and the battery out, and am reluctant to put it together and turn on.
    Put in rice for 24hrs just to be safe.

Thanked by:

Mine have a fine red crosshatch pattern on a white background. My phone has never been wet, I don't even take pictures of water. They look similar on my old Droid X, I think the red lines mean they are OK.

Global Posts
    45 Global Posts

The indicators are supposed to turn pure red if it was exposed to water damage; supposedly, there's also one inside the phone that you can't access easily.

The red crosshatch pattern is there to prevent people from using white-out to paint over the indicators. Anyone doing this would then have to redraw the red crosshatch patch onto the white-out.

Those red hatch marks bleed into a solid pink when it comes in contact with water. You're fine.
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

It's been working. Thanks to everyone who responded. Now is the music player's turn which my wife put yesterday through a washing machine. What a day it was!

Global Posts
    2,043 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

It's been working. Thanks to everyone who responded. Now is the music player's turn which my wife put yesterday through a washing machine. What a day it was!
    I think your going to need a bigger bowl of rice. Good luck

Thanked by:
    TBolt likes this.

The biggest problem is the power up test after the electronics got wet... that is what fries the componentry. I dropped my smartphone in the ocean one time... immediately pulled the battery out, never turned it on and stored it for a few days in a bag of rice (sucked it dry before any corrosion could happen). I hope you found a way to resolve it. Water damage only impacts your phone when electricity flows through the water causing short circuits unless you allows the corrosion to permanently short them.