Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Rezound ics update issues-fix

If you are having lag, app, and other issues after the ICS update try a factory reset, I was having severe lag issues, and other app problems as well. Did the factory reset and running like a champ now, although pain in the but gettting apps back and reorganized to my liking.... also the latest google maps update makes the phone constantly reboot, just uninstall the update and it will run fine.

Global Posts
    1,552 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

A good way to get things back to normal is taking a screen shot of each page and you can reorganize the apps back to where they were. I tried the master reset but feel it didn't change much. I wasn't having that many issues to begin with but a little lag and seems to have helped.

Sent from my A500 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by mjoforiam1 View Post
    If you are having lag, app, and other issues after the ICS update try a factory reset, I was having severe lag issues, and other app problems as well. Did the factory reset and running like a champ now, although pain in the but gettting apps back and reorganized to my liking.... also the latest google maps update makes the phone constantly reboot, just uninstall the update and it will run fine.
    you really should do a factory reset after a major software upgrade anyway. it isn't absolutely required by any means, but strongly recommended. and obviously if you are having any problems, then a factory reset should be first on the list.

Sent from my Droid Razr MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

Just got a replacement rez yesterday. Out of box had GB still on it. Got it upland running ans first thing I did was stop play store from reloading or updating anything. Got ICS loaded and stable. Then started reloading my apps. Uses my screen shots to help with setup. Back up and running pretty quick.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Default Re: Rezound ics update issues-fix

So...
    1. How do you do a factory reset?
    2. How do you take a screenshot?

Thanks!

Factory reset: menu,settings,storage, at bottom is factory reset option.

Screen shot: hold power button and then press home button.

Thanked by:
    Egnix 

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Quote Originally Posted by ghess517 View Post
    Factory reset: menu,settings,storage, at bottom is factory reset option.

Screen shot: hold power button and then press home button.

The screenshot must be done quickly though... as soon as you hit the power press the home button otherwise you could just get the power menu
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by Major Payne View Post
    The screenshot must be done quickly though... as soon as you hit the power press the home button otherwise you could just get the power menu
    Or press Power+Vol Down simultaneously, does the same thing, some people just find one method easier over the other.

Ok a couple more stupid questions:

Where do the screenshots get saved? How do you view them later after reset? Are these jpg, gif or the like files that can be viewed if moved to a computer? Etc.

Does the reset wipe the internal drive? The sd card?

Thanks.

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by Robisan View Post
    Ok a couple more stupid questions:

Where do the screenshots get saved? How do you view them later after reset? Are these jpg, gif or the like files that can be viewed if moved to a computer? Etc.

Does the reset wipe the internal drive? The sd card?

Thanks.

Just open the Gallery and they are there... Using the Power+Home method the screenshots go directly into the /sdcard/dcim/ directly (internal camera save path), when using Power+Vol Down they go into /sdcard/Pictures/Screenshots. They are saved in both instances in PNG format and can be opened with most image viewers, my person favorite is IrfanView.

If you do anything that wipes the internal storage, they will get deleted, but you can simply plug your phone into the USB of your PC and copy them out from the HTC STORAGE volume.

A Factory Reset may wipe the internal storage, there are options when you select this to clear it out or not, but some people have noted it can happen anyway in certain instances, so be safe and copy any info off just in case.
    Thanked by:

Looks like screenshots are not working for mine. I'm still on the .10 leak RUU. Can't get a screen shot for the life of me. Just keeps turning the screen off. Neither vol down or home work with the power button.

Correction....FINALLY got the pwr + vol down to work. Never used to give me problem. This morning it doesn't seem to want to let me.
    Devices:

Rooted HTC Droid Incredible
    Rooted Nook Color
    Rooted HTC Rezound
    Soon to be rooted Galaxy S4

Quote Originally Posted by mjoforiam1 View Post
    I agree with you 100% it is a bit of work but worth it in the long run.
    but after a day you have clean your phone and it is running as best it can, I had issue with calendar syncing and belive me it took me longer to deal with HTC suporrt than doing a factory reset and installing my app the only thing I can add when dowloading app it goes directly to your 7 screens so then you have to move them around.you can backup your contacs to the sd card and then import them back with your,for app just do screen shot of downloaded apps all your photos will come back after rest becuse they are saved on your sd cardyou donot need to even import them.
    good luck

I have done several factory resets and it still has not fix my issues. It works for a little while then starts up again. My issues are with the touch screen locking up and doing some other weird stuff.

Global Posts
    1,844 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

When you have done a Factory reset are you installing your apps right away? If you are I would run the Rezound without your apps and see if the problem returns.. If it doesn't that means one of your apps is causing your problem. you would need to add an app at a time until the culprit is found
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Galaxy Note 4

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Also, if the problems persist even on a "clean" factory reset, consider re-installing the full RUU manually... it is not unheard of that an OTA update has problems with the update itself.

[Exclusive Download] HTC Rezound Ice Cream Sandwich RUU For Final OTA (3.14.605.12)

or, if you are going to go that far, why not load the latest leaked software, it has lots of fixes over the official OTA update...

[Exclusive Download] Full RUU Build 4.03.605.2 For The HTC Rezound
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Question Re: Rezound ics update issues-fix

Please help. I've been researching problems with the ics update on the rezound because I have been having lots of problems since doing the ota update.

Did a factory reset, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that removed all updates and I am now back to droid version 2.3.4 and once I got back up and running I was immediately prompted to do the ics update again. Why is it suggested to do factory reset after all os updates if it just removes them, why not just reject? And again, correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

So what should I do now? Since doing reset (and apparently removing ics update) everything is fine again (although I haven't re-installed all apps yet but my internet and wi-fi connections are working great). Should I try to manually do the update while connected to pc (not ota) or just reject the update?

Thanks for all help.

Quote Originally Posted by rvrkids2 View Post
    Please help. I've been researching problems with the ics update on the rezound because I have been having lots of problems since doing the ota update.

Did a factory reset, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that removed all updates and I am now back to droid version 2.3.4 and once I got back up and running I was immediately prompted to do the ics update again. Why is it suggested to do factory reset after all os updates if it just removes them, why not just reject? And again, correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

So what should I do now? Since doing reset (and apparently removing ics update) everything is fine again (although I haven't re-installed all apps yet but my internet and wi-fi connections are working great). Should I try to manually do the update while connected to pc (not ota) or just reject the update?

Thanks for all help.
    A factory reset will not revert the OS back to the previous version. It will remove any apps and settings you have done. If you do a factory reset while you are on ICS (version 4.03), you phone will still be on ICS. You will have to set up everything again.

Is there any possible way to go back to 4.0.2? Honestly, my battery life is now HORRIBLE, I drop several calls a day in the same places I never had trouble (i.e., my desk in my home office--in front of a window in a rancher!), and a bunch of the apps I use were rendered useless. Please help!

jess

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Both the Global RUU (4.3.605.12) and the stock OTA update (3.14.605.12) use the same Android 4.0.3 as a base (there is no 4.0.2 for the Rez, or any other ICS base), the only real difference is the modems and additional settings to go with the additional modes officially supported, and bug fixes. You should be able to just flash back the "official" OTA firmware, although I haven't tried it... generally, hboot will not allow you to go backwards in revisions unless you are S-OFF (a procedure not to be taken lightly), so to be honest it's a 50/50 chance it will work if you are stock. If you want to go all the way back to Gingerbread firmware, you are required to go S-OFF to do that and I would not recommend doing that for a stock GB ROM unless it is only for troubleshooting or temporary use.

Most people find the Global Mode RUU is more stable and battery life is improved... The fact that you are having other issues as well makes me wonder if you got a "dirty" flash and something didn't take correctly, but you didn't give a lot of details as to the problem.

If it was me, then I would reflash the RUU, twice! Then do a hard factory reset from hboot, and setup the device... then install only absolutely essential applications and see how it goes for a while and see if the situation improves, then slowly start adding other apps to see when it breaks.

That being said, the Rezound is not known for it's battery life... getting 2-3 hours of screen time on standard battery with excellent signal is normal, if your signal strength is marginal or poor then battery life with suffer significantly irregardless of the ROM or version used.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on AT&T (SimpleAOSP/hells-Core Kernel/LTE)
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Oh, I'm sorry. I should have clarified. I simply got the OTA update from Verizon last Wed and instantly had the dropped calls and half the battery life I had the day before with the same use...have not done any rooting or manual flashing. I just googled to try and find someone that seemed knowledgeable enough to explain if I could "revert" back. SO.....what was my previous version then? I wish there was some sort of way to set a restore point and revert to that when the new update doesn't have the kinks worked out.

Thank you and I apologize for being such a doof now. I used to be more "up" on this stuff, but once I had a kid and switched to a more demanding job, there just aren't the number of hours in the day I need. Grrrr. Stinks getting old!

--jess

The software number previously was 2.3.4 for the rezound on gingerbread.

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by jsl108 View Post
    Oh, I'm sorry. I should have clarified. I simply got the OTA update from Verizon last Wed and instantly had the dropped calls and half the battery life I had the day before with the same use...have not done any rooting or manual flashing. I just googled to try and find someone that seemed knowledgeable enough to explain if I could "revert" back. SO.....what was my previous version then? I wish there was some sort of way to set a restore point and revert to that when the new update doesn't have the kinks worked out.

Thank you and I apologize for being such a doof now. I used to be more "up" on this stuff, but once I had a kid and switched to a more demanding job, there just aren't the number of hours in the day I need. Grrrr. Stinks getting old!

--jess
    Then a factory reset is in order, it is highly recommended after a change in the OS and going from Gingerbread to ICS is a MAJOR upgrade... The ICS build is very stable but some apps do not like the fact they were installed on GB and now running on ICS, causing issues you describe. I recommend a full hboot factory reset with a manual reconfigure of all apps and settings, do not use Mybackup or other tools to restore apps.

The update was more than an update, it was a complete operating system upgrade and cannot be undone without significant amounts of work that have the potential of bricking you phone if done incorrectly.
    Thanked by:
    jsl108 

Good to know. Thanks so much! Can I use mybackupPro for any of my data (i.e., texts and such)?

Global Posts
    1,230 Global Posts
    ROM
    SimpleAOSP & Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by jsl108 View Post
    Good to know. Thanks so much! Can I use mybackupPro for any of my data (i.e., texts and such)?
    You can, although I recommend against using to restore the data as you can often just restore the problem. Here is a quick guide to doing a factory reset:

I am going to assume you are NOT rooted...

1. (Optional) Use a utility like MyBackup Pro to backup all data (this is a safeguard, do NOT restore from this unless absolutely necessary)
    2. Go into Message app and press MENU and select Back up SMS, then save all messages to a file (note the filename)
    3. Plug the USB into a PC, go into Storage mode, and copy everything from both drives that appear in Windows to a spare directory.
    4. Backup contacts, if you are using any "Phone" contacts, use VZW Backup, if they are all Goggle contacts you can skip this step. (Facebook and Exchange contacts are held on the server, no need to backup)
    5. Take screen shots of all home screens, and the application launcher screens
    6. Make sure you have all usernames, password, WiFi codes, etc., for all accounts and WiFi networks you have in the device
    7. Go into Settings-Apps-All and note which apps you have disabled

Once you have everything you think you need, do a Factory Reset via the menus, then once it completes and you are back at the setup screen, power off, remove and reinstall the battery, and power up holding VOL DOWN+POWER to go into HBOOT, then perform the Factory Reset from there as well. The phone will reboot to the setup screen, go through that.

Google contacts should restore automatically, or use VZW Backup to restore contacts, then once all contacts are back you can restore the Message backup (might have to copy the backup file back to it's original location). If you want to disable apps, best to do them at this step. Setup you local WiFi and any additional accounts if you need to. Then start Play Store twice, pausing about a minute or two between, on the second start load all updates. Now go to Google and the Play Store your computer and select "My Android Apps", and click on the "Verizon HTC ADR6425LVW" icon, from that point you can see the apps you have for that device and other apps in your library, select Install for the ones you want and they will be pushed out to the phone and install. Once that is all done run each app at least once to finish it's setup (this is important, some apps will hold the WakeLock until their setup is complete, draining the battery quickly if you don't finish the setup). Now just change home screens and such as needed and tweak.

With a little practice, this entire procedure can be done in under 30 minutes, depending on your connection speed, number of apps to install, and amount of tweaking needed.

If you are doing anything "weird", like POP3 mail accounts, you might have to back those up separately if they are not stored on the server.
    Also, most apps that store significant or important data have backup or export facilities built into them, such as Contacts and Messages. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak. What each person needs to backup is different, so guides are fairly general.
    Thanked by:
    jsl108 
    jsl108 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    Then a factory reset is in order, it is highly recommended after a change in the OS and going from Gingerbread to ICS is a MAJOR upgrade... The ICS build is very stable but some apps do not like the fact they were installed on GB and now running on ICS, causing issues you describe. I recommend a full hboot factory reset with a manual reconfigure of all apps and settings, do not use Mybackup or other tools to restore apps.

The update was more than an update, it was a complete operating system upgrade and cannot be undone without significant amounts of work that have the potential of bricking you phone if done incorrectly.
    Manually reload apps! Maybe that is why my RZ runs well. I took the OTA ICS, restored contacts and email, then manually loaded desired apps and tailored screens. No factory reset and not issues. Great signal levels and battery life. Chris
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast