Global RUU

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I gotta say, so far I'm loving the new Global RUU. Battery life has been soooo much better. At work, I get a lousy signal, and even just keeping the phone in my pocket, half the battery drained just sitting idle all day. After running the RUU over the weekend, I left work yesterday with more than 80% battery left. Now I use the extended battery, but even then because of the weak signal the extended wouldn't last me the whole day (work + home), but last night when going to bed at 11, I still had half the battery left. At this rate, I can go back to the standard battery.

zrxoa1

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had a chance to see if a t mobile or AT&T sim will work properly now with the newest update?

Sent from my tricked out Iphone!

jwalker007

May 15, 2010
Visit site
I loaded the RUU and would have to agree on the performance. Also, google maps works again with the latest update. Just remember to flash twice.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Are you rooted and if so do you use Autostarts? I have that installed and went in and told a whole bunch of stuff not to start and that helps the battery even more.

craZhorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I am having some problems downloading from the Android Police site, including their mirrow sites. Is there any another download sites available? Thanks

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am having some problems downloading from the Android Police site, including their mirrow sites. Is there any another download sites available? Thanks
Not sure why people keep saying this, but go to Android Police, select the first mirror (beta.androidfilehost.com, a decent, reputable file host for ROMs and developers only, with a fairly fat pipe) and then click the big round green circle with an arrow pointed down in it, that is the correct download link... It maxes out my cable modem and I can download it in under 3 minutes, tried it several times over the last week when people say they can't download it and it always works and the MD5 is always correct. I can download it directly to my phone in right around 2 minutes.

I do not know of any other links, there are 5 mirrors on Android Planet, and the last one is a multiple mirror site so there are about 10 mirrors, you should be able to find a working one there, if not, maybe the issue is somewhere else?

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Are you using your phone or computer? I tried again today and was able to download it again.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Do you use FireFox? If you do it has probably disabled Javascript due to some "instability", download the latest Java from java.com and install and you should be good to go.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Hmmm ... so, tap-to-zoom and pinch-to-zoom in the default browser and Chrome are gone. Was this the case in the previous update?

Pinch-to-zoom works some of the time in Firefox.

In case you guys want the HTC flashlight: http://db.tt/kCMrj5m6

I tried hosting the RUU in Dropbox - not seeing the file in my Public folder. Odd.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed that Global mode is active by default. Is there a reason I should leave it on Global mode when I am not traveling overseas?

4b53b0c9-ed61-d992.jpg

craZhorse

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I was using my computer when getting the javascript error in an effort to download the global RUU. I went to my phone and had no problem with the download on mirror #1. It did take about an hour for the download to complete. I have not noticed much difference between this RUU and the leaked .12 RUU other than the global capability. My phone still get pretty warm when surfing the internet, streaming videos and downloading apps. I have not detected any gains in battery life.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I just noticed that Global mode is active by default. Is there a reason I should leave it on Global mode when I am not traveling overseas?

Click to view quoted image

Hmmm... actually, it is probably best to put it in LTE/CDMA mode unless you are roaming globally. I thought when I did mine I didn't get any 4G until I changed it.

Reactions: TBolt

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
I use LTE switch to keep mine in CDMA auto unless I know I'm in a 4g area. Helps cut back on battery usage. No need to keep any radio's active unless there is a need to use them. Still dying to get my hands on an ATT or T-Mobile sim to try global settings here in the U.S.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I use LTE switch to keep mine in CDMA auto unless I know I'm in a 4g area. Helps cut back on battery usage. No need to keep any radio's active unless there is a need to use them. Still dying to get my hands on an ATT or T-Mobile sim to try global settings here in the U.S.
Before 4G came to my area I tested this theory... I found no noticeable difference in battery usage with LTE enabled or disabled. I think the phone just "knows" (lack of better terminology) when it is in a 4G service area and when it isn't it puts the LTE radio to sleep.

It also seems to use less battery on 4G than 3G, now this just might be my specific situation though, my work and home are about a mile apart, smack dab in the middle is a Verizon tower, so my signal strength is excellent 95% of the time.

318sugarhill

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Before 4G came to my area I tested this theory... I found no noticeable difference in battery usage with LTE enabled or disabled. I think the phone just "knows" (lack of better terminology) when it is in a 4G service area and when it isn't it puts the LTE radio to sleep.

It also seems to use less battery on 4G than 3G, now this just might be my specific situation though, my work and home are about a mile apart, smack dab in the middle is a Verizon tower, so my signal strength is excellent 95% of the time.

I've noticed a little difference when keeping lte off. I also have a weak signal at home, and in my cinderblock work building the signal degrades badly. At work it also toggles back and forth from 4G to 3g causing excess battery drain. It's just easier for me to leave it off until it's more widespread in my area.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums