My Verizon widget bites the dust

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well, the Verizon widget is totally non functional as of now. It seemed to go bad sometime today. Comments from users on the play store from all kinds of phones giving it a 1 star rating due to its non-operating status.

You know, Verizon wants everyone on metered data plans, yet it can't seem to find a way to make sure customers know every second how much data they have used. Someone on the VZW tech twitter actually told me that I need to "estimate" how much data I have left on the last day of my billing cycle. Really???

Hey Verizon, this is NOT rocket science. Get a grip, already!! You are supposed to be an industry leader. Start acting like it!! :mad:

android4life007

Jun 2, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because the Data Widget used to actually work fine not too long ago and then Verizon did an "Update" and actually purposely made it so it does not automatically update.

I guess VZW want people to accidentally go over their limit so they get overage charges. That's the only logical reason I can see why they would do that... :confused:

Last edited:

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Was there not a new one that worked with the metered plans? There was talk a while ago the old one was getting retired for a new one.

SYMAWD

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
It's funny because the Data Widget used to actually work fine not too long ago and then Verizon did an "Update" and actually purposely made it so it does not automatically update.

I guess VZW want people to accidentally go over their limit so they get overage charges. That's the only logical reason I can see why they would do that... :confused:

Yep, it used to update everyday, now I have to open up the app for an update. It sucks.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I am curious to see the difference in between Usage in the phone and what Verizon says I used... Just started the new cycle the other day, but so far the phone thinks it has used half the data that My Verizon shows, and I made sure the days line up correctly.

pblakk

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Isn't there a data metering app that would rule out WiFi usage? I would start there and.compare.

Sent from my Fireball on Android central forums app.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I think that skatergirl had a similar situation not long ago in another thread. Never heard the end result, but I am guessing it is not uncommon for the two to be out of sync. I wouldnt rely on the widget if I was on a tiered plan

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I am confused and concerned as well. My cycle starts the 22nd of the month and stated a little over 1. Already!
Today am at 1.522
sent from my Rezound

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Was there not a new one that worked with the metered plans? There was talk a while ago the old one was getting retired for a new one.

This most recent widget seemed to be a combination of the old and a new. The screenshots show a meter for hotspot, though my widget has never had a meter for a hotspot. My widget worked, even with its flaws, up until yesterday. It stopped working yesterday on the Razr Maxx as well.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am curious to see the difference in between Usage in the phone and what Verizon says I used... Just started the new cycle the other day, but so far the phone thinks it has used half the data that My Verizon shows, and I made sure the days line up correctly.

That works the same way for me.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I think that skatergirl had a similar situation not long ago in another thread. Never heard the end result, but I am guessing it is not uncommon for the two to be out of sync. I wouldnt rely on the widget if I was on a tiered plan

When the widget is working correctly, it does show the same plan total usage as the My Verizon web page. The thing that bothers me about the widget is that I can't look into the individual usages of the other phones. As the account owner, I should be able to do that since I can do it on the web page.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I am confused and concerned as well. My cycle starts the 22nd of the month and stated a little over 1. Already!
Today am at 1.522
sent from my Rezound

Sounds like your meter has not been reset ... one of my pet peeves right now with Verizon. I have Vonage (for emergency incoming calls because I will not leave my ringer on at night and I don't want to mess with selective silence settings every day just to make sure a few numbers come through) and every time there is usage on my Vonage phone, it shows up on my dashboard.

I can't figure out why Verizon is so inept in this area. The meters need to be reset at the strike of billing cycle midnight and data usage needs to be available in real time 24/7.

Just for kicks, I filed a complaint with both the FCC and the BBB. I don't expect anything to come of it, but at least I've spoken my mind.

Jude ... have you rebooted your phone or changed from wifi to data or data to wifi? I think doing one of these two things might reset your meter. If it doesn't work, call Verizon and tell them to GET A CLUE!! :D

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The widget seems to be working again. Also, I have dug deeper into the widget and yes, I can see the data usage of all users. So, I was incorrect about that part of my rant! :D

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
The widget seems to be working again. Also, I have dug deeper into the widget and yes, I can see the data usage of all users. So, I was incorrect about that part of my rant! :D

I never could figure out how to view data usage on the other lines either, and was about to ask you how you did it... But one last look and I figured it out.

For those of you that are as dumb as me - at the top of the screen you will see "<>" with some dots in between representing the different lines - just touch it to scroll through them

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I never could figure out how to view data usage on the other lines either, and was about to ask you how you did it... But one last look and I figured it out.

For those of you that are as dumb as me - at the top of the screen you will see "<>" with some dots in between representing the different lines - just touch it to scroll through them

I kind of think Verizon just recently got that feature working properly, because I had checked on those settings in the past and it was just today that I actually saw all the other uses. I could be wrong, but hey, let's just say I am right! LOL!!

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I kind of think Verizon just recently got that feature working properly, because I had checked on those settings in the past and it was just today that I actually saw all the other uses. I could be wrong, but hey, let's just say I am right! LOL!!

Maybe it is new... And maybe I am not as dumb as I thought...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance