Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Default Any way to have the GPS turn on automatcally when maps start? Is there a APP?

Any help would be appreciated. I just hate turning on and off the GPS when I use maps. BTW I'm now in ICS.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Default Re: Any way to have the GPS turn on automatcally when maps start? Is there a APP?

Just leave it on all the time. It only turns on when an app asks for it, so as long as nothing is pinging your location all the time, battery is affected little.
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.
    Thanked by:
    sfrrr 
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Default Re: Any way to have the GPS turn on automatcally when maps start? Is there a APP?

Ok thanks.

I was wondering the same thing, I used Navigation for the first time, it asked for both GPS and Verizon location services to be turned on. is Maps the same as the Navigation app?

Global Posts
    1,833 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Maps and Navigation are 2 different programs but work together
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

I still see my GPS coming on for a few seconds then shuts off. I wish there was a program that will turn it on as soon as maps starts. I know the Iphone does that. My son reminds me yet another reason to get a IPHONE dad. GRRRRR!!!!!!

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Quote Originally Posted by NHBass39 View Post
    I still see my GPS coming on for a few seconds then shuts off. I wish there was a program that will turn it on as soon as maps starts. I know the Iphone does that. My son reminds me yet another reason to get a IPHONE dad. GRRRRR!!!!!!
    I'm not sure I understand exactly what your problem is. I leave my gps on all the time, in fact, I may have never shut it off. When I go into google maps, the gps starts up (I can see it on the notification bar). When I exit, gps shuts off, no extra app to do this. What happens when you go into navigation, does it turn on and stay on there? In maps, is it finding your location to a few meters? If it's finding you to a few meters, it is probably working fine?

---------- Post Merged at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by tarnak View Post
    I was wondering the same thing, I used Navigation for the first time, it asked for both GPS and Verizon location services to be turned on. is Maps the same as the Navigation app?
    You don't NEED the verizon or google location services turned on, gps is fine... unless you want to find a gas station, or a business. I believe google location is needed for searching on the map, I'm not sure exactly what the verizon location is for... possibly the same thing, for searching?
    Took the S4 update on purpose, so I could not mess with my phone.... so so so stupid.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Maybe it is just me but even with maps not open it will still come on for a few seconds here and there.

ROM
    To embarrassed to say

Maybe it is just me but even with maps not open it will still come on for a few seconds here and there.
    Probably an app or website requesting your location. Facebook being the first app that comes to mind, and I've noticed quite a few websites asking permission lately. You can download Gsam battery monitor and it should tell you exactly how long gps is being used each day. If I remember, when I checked, gps was turned on for 15 seconds in a 14 hour day.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

To answer the question, Tasker will do this.

Sent from my Galaxy Note.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Quote Originally Posted by btswein View Post
    To answer the question, Tasker will do this.

Thanks, but I was told I need to be rooted. Is that correct.

Global Posts
    322 Global Posts

Thanks, but I was told I need to be rooted. Is that correct.
    Not for Tasker.

13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Okay so you have tried it? Dev. told me that I may need root.

Global Posts
    269 Global Posts
    ROM
    [ROM] Sense

Google blocked access to the GPS framework in ICS and higher, so you'll need to be rooted to automatically toggle GPS on/off (Tasker or AutomateIt Pro). Unlike the iPhone, ICS and higher does this automatically (make sure you tell your son). Twolastnames is right, even though it is always on, it does not use battery until it is activated by an app that requires it when opening or if an app is pinging in the back round. With the GPS coming on "a few seconds here and there", will have little drain on your battery.

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by joedirt2217 View Post
    Google blocked access to the GPS framework in ICS and higher, so you'll need to be rooted to automatically toggle GPS on/off (Tasker or AutomateIt Pro). Unlike the iPhone, ICS and higher does this automatically (make sure you tell your son). Twolastnames is right, even though it is always on, it does not use battery until it is activated by an app that requires it when opening or if an app is pinging in the back round. With the GPS coming on "a few seconds here and there", will have little drain on your battery.
    Yup, and if it is coming on periodically that means an app is calling for that information, most apps that do this can be told not to but you will have to figure out what app is doing it. Facebook and Latitude (part of Maps) are two common culprits, note that Facebook will use the GPS occasionally even when the location settings are turned off within the app. But joedirt2217 is correct, if it is only turning on occasionally for a few seconds, it shouldn't be a significant drain on the battery at all.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  16. Thread Author  Thread Author    #16  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

How do I tell FB not to do this?

Global Posts
    1,149 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

How do I tell FB not to do this?
    Open Facebook app, then Menu button-Settings-Messenger location services, then untick Location on and press OK.

But the weird part is that is will still access the GPS periodically unless you use a task manager to kill the FB app AND you have notifications turned off (if they are turned on FB will just respawn after you kill it). In my mind, Facebook is one of those misbehaved apps that we just kind of put up with.
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Purity ROM with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (AICP 6.0 ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P
  18. Thread Author  Thread Author    #18  

ROM
    Stock rom/rooted

Thanks I just unchecked that. Maybe that will help.

You can use the "Auto-Enable GPS for Maps" application, which switches both WiFi and GPS on when you launch Maps, Navigation, Local or Latitude, and restores them to their old state (e.g. switched off) when you quit these apps.

Google Play Store link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...duniti.mapsgps

I'll have to look at this, because I haven't seen anything since before GB that could override Android/Google's lockout of apps controlling GPS state. I have Tasker and that was one of the reasons I got it was to control GPS. It still does a lot but not being able to control GPS just plan sucks. I wouldn't even hate it so much if you didn't have to agree to that little thing every daWn time. I haven't noticed it lately but right after GB when you would have to agree to that other daWn thing if GPS was on when you powered up the phone. And the fact that you had to do it even if you said not to ask again blew donkeys too. After saying all of this I hope I haven't be come complacent with it and, like people can't smell their own houses, have just been over looking it because it's there all of the time. Now that it's been brought up I'll start smelling it. Yeah I know custom ROM. As much as I'd like to go that route there's something wrong with every OS. Stock unrooted has it's limitations, ROMs have their strengths and always seem to fall short somewhere else, so it always comes down to what you're willing to live with.

Anyway, thanks Duniti I'll check it out. If it works I'll push Tasker devs to figure out how they did it, cause even they say to root and install a custom ROM.

Update
    Checked it out and you must root if you are 2.3 GB or higher Android. So basically worthless.
    Last edited by VidJunky; 06-27-2013 at 09:46 AM. Reason: After looking into it....
    Sent from my HTCOX Fōn.