Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Paul627g
  • 1 Post By doctorg23
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default This may be stupid, what makes a phone slow down?

Not what kills battery life. I know live wallpapers can make it sluggish, slow to move between panels. Is there anything else?

Default Re: This may be stupid, what makes a phone slow down?

Widgets (homescreen widgets example, weather updates, stocks, traffic, etc.)

The obvious, too many programs running...

Certain launchers although tempting to use and offer cool features can lag a device down.

Another tip many of us don't like to power down and reboot the device too often, this builds up garbage in the system.. You should do at least a once a day shut down/reboot.

If rooted, clear dalvik cache and cache partition every couple days to clear things out.. This will help clear up a slow device.
    Paul
    Moderator Team Leader @ Android Central

Thanked by:
    TBolt likes this.

ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

Apps running "rogue" in the background can use up system resources and slow you down...

OS Monitor (free & paid) in the Market Play Store show you what is running.
    Thanked by:

You know, I have always wondered why a phone becomes so unbelievably sluggish after about 18 months...
    I wonder if a full factory reset every few months would make any sense to get rid of anything that may have gone "rogue" or areas of memory that are consumed and not being freed up...

Anyone think this would be reasonable or is this just a waste of time?

By the way, I am a thunderbolt owner, but a rezound is in the mail from Verizon to replace it. My TB that has served me well for 18 months, but now refuses to hold on to a data signal...

ROM
    Viper

Another thing is cluttered file system. In other words lots of files all over the place that you don't need. You phone has to go threw all of this every time it accesses files(all the time).

A good thing to do is go through ad delete files from old apps or things you know you don't need on both internal and external memory

Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg23 View Post

Welcome to the Rez family.

I reformat & reload the OS on my PCs every 12-18 months or so. Since these phones are computers, I think it sounds reasonable to reset it ... IF it starts to lag.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)
    Mr Fix-It

ROM
    Stock Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by doctorg23 View Post
    You know, I have always wondered why a phone becomes so unbelievably sluggish after about 18 months...
    I wonder if a full factory reset every few months would make any sense to get rid of anything that may have gone "rogue" or areas of memory that are consumed and not being freed up...

By the way, I am a thunderbolt owner, but a rezound is in the mail from Verizon to replace it. My TB that has served me well for 18 months, but now refuses to hold on to a data signal...
    Usually just clearing your cache will help. This is a problem most don't understand. Over time the cache partition fills up and certain apps will take up more and more space in the cache the more you use them. So as time goes on you accumulate a rolling pile of garbage that only exists to get bigger. Now most people would imagine that the cache would be cleaned up on a reboot. They'd be wrong. Some apps will delete the junk in cache when they exit, however some will not. Those are the ones that cause you an issue down the stretch. Clearing your cache will wipe out that data but it will also make some apps think that you've never used them before so it's certainly subjective as to whether or not this does more good or harm.

Off topic, if you were wondering this same thing happens to Windows, but unfortunately the only way to clean the junk out is to do a complete fresh install of windows. Anything less(like the "make my PC faster" software you see on TV) is useless.
    “Around here, however, we don't look backwards for very long.
    We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things,
    because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.”

-Walt Disney

Quote Originally Posted by MrSmith317 View Post
    Usually just clearing your cache will help. This is a problem most don't understand. Over time the cache partition fills up and certain apps will take up more and more space in the cache the more you use them. So as time goes on you accumulate a rolling pile of garbage that only exists to get bigger. Now most people would imagine that the cache would be cleaned up on a reboot. They'd be wrong. Some apps will delete the junk in cache when they exit, however some will not. Those are the ones that cause you an issue down the stretch. Clearing your cache will wipe out that data but it will also make some apps think that you've never used them before so it's certainly subjective as to whether or not this does more good or harm.

Off topic, if you were wondering this same thing happens to Windows, but unfortunately the only way to clean the junk out is to do a complete fresh install of windows. Anything less(like the "make my PC faster" software you see on TV) is useless.
    Thanks for the responses. Guess I will do a factory reset when the phone gets sluggish....painful, but would definitely prolong the life of the phone for me.
    Thanked by:
    Amber Schoeller likes this.

Red face Ben Geisler

Dear Ben Geisler