Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wanda
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Screen off during calls

First off, HI! I'm new to Androidcentral. Hoping to get some help. I'm on my 2nd Rezound, now this one has some annoying issues! The main issue is during a call, the screen goes black. When I bring the phone back down to hang up, or use dial pad, it wont come back on. Soooo annoying. Yeah, you can use the power button to hang up, but that's not a fix. I assume the proximity sensor is bad. But, if you run the test, it works. No screen protector, screen is clean, blew air into phone, nothing! Verizon said they can send me another "refurb" which I don't want. When I demanded a NEW phone, they told me to contact HTC, it was their problem. I did, they want me to send it in for repair. No way. Any ideas? Settings, apps (none have worked so far), etc? Just would like my expensive phone to work like it should. Also read ICS update may have caused this??? Out of ideas and frustrated...

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

Default Re: Screen off during calls

Have you tried blowing the phone out with some compressed air? I think I read somewhere it fixed it for someone after they blew out the earphone jack.
    I could be mistaken though. It's been a while.
    There is no end for that which is continually beginnded.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Yes I have, Thanks for the reply though.

Global Posts
    75 Global Posts

are you rooted? I saw a link in the root section for a sensor calibration app
    There is no end for that which is continually beginnded.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

If you like your Rezound and intend to keep it I'd say root it. There are many benefits to rooting plus it will allow you to run the proximity sensor calibration app. I had the same problem with my sensor but the app fixed it. Now, if you aren't planning on keeping your Rezound then just swap it for another or move on to another phone but if you're going to keep it or if swapping isn't an option for you the i would root ASAP. That way you can enjoy your phone again. Rooting doesn't mean you have to tweak it out with custom ROMs, but it will give you total control over your phone. Think it over.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Thanked by:
    CT77 
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

No, I am not rooted. Plus, I wouldn't know the first thing about rooting. What is it? What kind of advantage does it give you?

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by CT77 View Post
    No, I am not rooted. Plus, I wouldn't know the first thing about rooting. What is it? What kind of advantage does it give you?
    Rooting is giving yourself root access to your phone. Think of it as running your PC as an administrator. It allows you access to things HTC and Verizon don't want you to have access too. Once you've rooted you'll be able to delete apps that you don't want (I'm looking at you teeter, golf, and VZanything), apps that some would call "bloatware". Plus it allows you to install apps, like the proximity sensor calibration app, that Verizon doesn't think you should install/need. I had my Rezound out of the box for less than 10 minutes before I started rooting it. Since then, the procedure to root it has been been pretty much ironed out and is pretty much fool proof.

Rooting also allows you to make a complete system backup of your phone, called a nandroid backup, which you can then restore at any time. Currently there is no way to do that with a non-rooted phone.

You can also backup your apps with Titanium Backup (there are other apps that do the same thing but that's the one I use) and restore them should something happen or if you switch ROMs (think about the ROM as the phones OS).

Rooting gives you much more control over every aspect of your phone.

On the downside, you're warranty will be voided though there are ways to undo the rooting. Since you'll also have much more access to you're phone's inner workings you'll also have a chance to delete stuff you shouldn't delete which could cause problems. You'll hear people talking about "bricking" their phone. That's fairly impossible unless you root, achieve S-Off (stands for security off and is a whole other procedure I wouldn't worry about right now) and start swapping the phones radio's. So, unless you just go blindly blowing stuff up, something no one in their right mind would do, I would not sweat the whole "bricking" thing. That's not to say you might not get stuck somewhere with a phone that doesn't act right but rest assured there's a way to fix it and this forum is the #1 place for figuring out how to do it.
    Thanked by 5:
    skatergirl likes this.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Thanks for all the info, Wanda! That is something I will have to look into. Seems crazy to do that so my sensor will (hopefully) work again. But, you gotta do what you gotta do. Thanks again.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

The sensor is just the icing on the cake... Deleting all the crap you don't want or never use and being able to make entire system back ups makes it worth it to me.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

I'm having the Same problem with my replacement I just received Tuesday thought it was my screen protector but took it off and still had the problem so I did a factory reset and still the same issue called tech support and they tried to get me to do another factory reset even tho I told them I did one so I just told them never mind so I wall call again later...have u found a fix for yours?

11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

No I haven't yet. Getting so frustrated! I have it set to end calls with the power button, but have a habit of hitting it while on a call (to turn screen on) and then I hang up on people! I think I decided to not root my phone, the main reason being I'm not very knowledgeable on that stuff. I read somewhere that the ICS update screwed up the sensor on a lot of these phones. I'm almost to the point of canning this phone and going with something else. Let me know if you find a fix for yours.

ROM
    CM9/Countershrike v. 2.3A

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    The sensor is just the icing on the cake... Deleting all the crap you don't want or never use and being able to make entire system back ups makes it worth it to me.

Hey, Wanda, what's the name of the proximity sensor calibration app? I'm now rooted but can't seem to find an app that will calibrate the sensor on this phone.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by TheAutoMomma View Post
    Hey, Wanda, what's the name of the proximity sensor calibration app? I'm now rooted but can't seem to find an app that will calibrate the sensor on this phone.

Welcome to being rooted... I think you're gonna like it.

The app is called "Rezound proximity sensor"

I'll link the thread with the instructions on how to use it when get to a computer.

Edit: Here you go. Instructions are in the main post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1904974

Last edited by Wanda; 10-28-2012 at 08:42 AM.

ROM

I think I am too! Thanks for the app info. Looking forward to eliminating that little pet peeve.

ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Welcome to being rooted... I think you're gonna like it.

The app is called "Rezound proximity sensor"

I'll link the thread with the instructions on how to use it when get to a computer.

Edit: Here you go. Instructions are in the main post.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1904974

Way cool. Easy to understand, easy to use. Hopefully this fixes it, although I should try a dust blow out too. Although it's been doing this since I got the phone (CLNR) from VZW, so who knows. Can't wait to make a call and see if it works!

Wanda, I have been having this trouble too and your comment on rooting my phone sounds like something I want to do, but how do I root my phone?

Global Posts
    1,079 Global Posts
    ROM
    Beanstalk with Hells-Core

Quote Originally Posted by SusanSiegismund View Post
    Wanda, I have been having this trouble too and your comment on rooting my phone sounds like something I want to do, but how do I root my phone?
    Rooting is simple... with a little research it can be accomplished in a short time. There are only two real drawbacks right now to rooting, one is the unlock procedure will wipe your phone, everything gone to out of box state, the second is there is no simple way to revert to bone stock IF you flash a custom ROM.

In the root/developer section of most forums there is a step-by-step guide, MrSmith here has a excellent guide in this thread or this one, or I really like Scotty85's approach on AndroidForums.com