so, why no love for CDMA/LTE?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
they say Verizon is the biggest carrier in the richest market on the globe. AT&T even has LTE. Sprint is lighting up LTE & uses CDMA for voice. so ... why the fuxx is every new Nexus device strictly HSPA+?

tickle me slightly annoyed.

what is the value in Verizon's share-all-your-data-but-it's-gonna-cost-ya-a-helluva-lot plans if none of the newest, hottest devices work on their network? haha.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
they say Verizon is the biggest carrier in the richest market on the globe. AT&T even has LTE. Sprint is lighting up LTE & uses CDMA for voice. so ... why the fuxx is every new Nexus device strictly HSPA+?

tickle me slightly annoyed.

what is the value in Verizon's share-all-your-data-but-it's-gonna-cost-ya-a-helluva-lot plans if none of the newest, hottest devices work on their network? haha.

Google probably didn't want the hassle of working with Verizon again (see Galaxy Nexus).

Let me also throw out the situation with the Nexus One, Verizon, and the DROID Incredible.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
A better question, why isn't the Nexus better? Why isn't native Android better? Out of the box, which phone has more software features, a Nexus 4 or the One X? Nexus 4 or GSIII? You have to spend an hour in the market finding wanna be sense and touchwiz widgets that don't work as well. Consumers won't browse the market for an hour looking for the best "People" widget. I will, but people won't. The only thing going for it is upgrade speed.

Don't forget, last year Verizon had ALL the good phones, Nexus, Rezound, Razr.

As far as CDMA, Google is trying to force one set of radios on the world. They have in the past announced their disdain for carrier locked phones, and I think they are going for gsm/lte as a start to that goal.

I would be annoyed the Lumia 920 isn't gonna happen on Verizon right now. Ya, I said it.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I too was disappointed to hear that the 920 won't be available on Verizon - choice is a good thing.

Maybe, as a Rez owner, I just have Jelly Bean deficiency syndrome. Haha.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
A better question, why isn't the Nexus better? Why isn't native Android better? Out of the box, which phone has more software features, a Nexus 4 or the One X? Nexus 4 or GSIII? You have to spend an hour in the market finding wanna be sense and touchwiz widgets that don't work as well. Consumers won't browse the market for an hour looking for the best "People" widget. I will, but people won't. The only thing going for it is upgrade speed.

As far as CDMA, Google is trying to force one set of radios on the world. They have in the past announced their disdain for carrier locked phones, and I think they are going for gsm/lte as a start to that goal.

I would be annoyed the Lumia 920 isn't gonna happen on Verizon right now. Ya, I said it.

But Nexus is better because I get updates FASTER! lol.

One pillar of Android is it's openness. Feel free to download the source and modify it any way you want. This isn't iOS where everything is locked down. Samsung, HTC, Motorola, LG - they can do whatever they want with it. Amazon is a great example.

You have choices. I'd hate for Nexus to be the only choice.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

As time goes on, I agree with this more and more. I have flashed the CM9 roms, and the whole time I am on them I am trying to make them sense lol. The lightness and battery life are great, but the lack of integration and creature comforts are disappointing in stock Android.

I do however believe that the manufacturers should so a large scale back of their skins though. There is a time when too much us too much. Farces like the multitasking screw up on the one x should NEVER happen.

Everyone should learn from asus. They add functionality to android, but nothing more. No white menu bs or anything like that. Just add functionality to notification screen and settings and added integration for their hardware like the transformer docks. Still basically stock, but better.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I think the issue is who has control of otas. Verizon gnex ota goes through Verizon first. If Verizon allows Google to push the ota without going through Verizon first, then i suspect that Google might have cdma radios. Apple does this, so it is possible, but Google probably doesn't have the clout yet.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I think the issue is who has control of otas. Verizon gnex ota goes through Verizon first. If Verizon allows Google to push the ota without going through Verizon first, then i suspect that Google might have cdma radios. Apple does this, so it is possible, but Google probably doesn't have the clout yet.

I would love it if Verizon & all carriers removed themselves from software maintenance. The carriers are not software companies, after all. If only OEMs, with the support of consumer desire, took back full control of development and maintenance.

ZachA

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I would love it if Verizon & all carriers removed themselves from software maintenance. The carriers are not software companies, after all. If only OEMs, with the support of consumer desire, took back full control of development and maintenance.

Nice thought but its not going to happen.

Sent from my Droid Incredible 2 using Android Central Forums

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Buy a phone like an unlocked n4 and use it on a gsm network ,no interference from the carrier. Gsm doesnt carry proprietary tech like cdma. Carriers will always stick theirs noses in when you buy from them because they are somewhat responsible ,like Verizon provides clnr units.

Or you can move to a country where the carriers don't subsidize phones,so you can use whatever phone you want and get updates direct from the manufacturer but of course no subsidized phones...

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Buy a phone like an unlocked n4 and use it on a gsm network ,no interference from the carrier. Gsm doesnt carry proprietary tech like cdma. Carriers will always stick theirs noses in when you buy from them because they are somewhat responsible ,like Verizon provides clnr units.

If I had a single phone plan, I would. I have both my parents on my account, and they rely on VZW's better coverage when visiting other family.

Or you can move to a country...

(grumble)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
If I had a single phone plan, I would. I have both my parents on my account, and they rely on VZW's better coverage when visiting other family.

(grumble)

I understand, everyone has priorities. Verizon does offer several devices that get their updates direct from the manufacturer, but as always, it just depends on you.