Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree9Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    My (10 month old) Tbolt is bricked and before i choose a replacement, i'd like to get some opinions about the Rezound and Droid Incredible 4G. The Rezound is the older of the two phones, but on paper it has better specs. How's the stock experience? How's the rooted experience? (I ask this because i'm coming off of aTbolt which rooting was almost necessary LOL) Thanks in advance.
  2. #2  
    acejavelin's Avatar

    Posts
    814 Posts
    ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    The Rezound is a really good phone, if it has a weak point it is the battery life, the screen is amazing but sucks power like nobody's business... expect only about 2.5 hours of screen on time using a standard battery with excellent signal, 3.5 to 5 hours with the extended battery. As far as stock, it is very stable and functional, custom ROM choices are pretty varied especially since the RIL has been cracked, there are a wide range of choices, probably 20-30 fairly solid ones but three or four clear front runners right now, but that changes on a weekly basis it seems, currently only up to ICS with custom CM10 JellyBean build in the works.

    The Inc 4G is a solid performer, it has newer hardware and is more efficient and can provide about 4 hours screen time on the standard battery. I have not dug into the 4G too much but it has been rooted (sort of) but not S-OFF'd (officially anyways, there is lots of work on this and some devs claim to have done it but are not releasing it yet), custom ROM choices are basically either ViperLTE or UltimateKangBang LTE and that is about it currently. Note that newer firmware's broke the ability to unlock via HTCDev, thus root is impossible at this time with some versions but I expect this limitation will be bypassed soon or has been recently.

    Don't count out the new HTC DLX/Butterfly/DIX to be announced on the 13th, also the new Motorola Razr M & HD series phones are pretty amazing devices, have a couple M's in our office and they are just rock solid with no issues at all as of yet. Be wary of the Samsung GS3, it can be a solid device but almost everyone I know personally that has one had to get a replacement (or in one case three!) either for overheating or microphone problems.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Thanked by 2:
    skatergirl likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    There are many people viewing my post but no responses... i was starting to think everyone hated this phone LOL. Anyways, that's some good info. I'm not too worried about battery because the Tbolt/stock battery was probably worse than the Rezound. Many Tbolt users ended up getting a Rezound battery to replace the stock Tbolt battery actually. I'm leaning towards the Rezound so far.
    Last edited by redcat22; 11-08-2012 at 04:55 PM.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    if your into rooting, there is alot of dev support for the rezound, not sure about the inc. 4g

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  5. #5  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    The Rezound is a really good phone, if it has a weak point it is the battery life, the screen is amazing but sucks power like nobody's business... expect only about 2.5 hours of screen on time using a standard battery with excellent signal, 3.5 to 5 hours with the extended battery. As far as stock, it is very stable and functional, custom ROM choices are pretty varied especially since the RIL has been cracked, there are a wide range of choices, probably 20-30 fairly solid ones but three or four clear front runners right now, but that changes on a weekly basis it seems, currently only up to ICS with custom CM10 JellyBean build in the works.
    The Inc 4G is a solid performer, it has newer hardware and is more efficient and can provide about 4 hours screen time on the standard battery. I have not dug into the 4G too much but it has been rooted (sort of) but not S-OFF'd (officially anyways, there is lots of work on this and some devs claim to have done it but are not releasing it yet), custom ROM choices are basically either ViperLTE or UltimateKangBang LTE and that is about it currently. Note that newer firmware's broke the ability to unlock via HTCDev, thus root is impossible at this time with some versions but I expect this limitation will be bypassed soon or has been recently.

    Don't count out the new HTC DLX/Butterfly/DIX to be announced on the 13th, also the new Motorola Razr M & HD series phones are pretty amazing devices, have a couple M's in our office and they are just rock solid with no issues at all as of yet. Be wary of the Samsung GS3, it can be a solid device but almost everyone I know personally that has one had to get a replacement (or in one case three!) either for overheating or microphone problems.
    I am very interested in the new HTC phone, but afraid I might really like it and then end up stealing one of the available upgrades on my family plan. If it has a significantly better battery and it is lighter, I am sure I will not be able to resist.
    ~Janet~
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Yeah probably. When i rooted my Tbolt it was like a domino effect. At first i debloated, then i used Adaway, then i backed up app/contact data, then i used Root Explorer to figure out how to change things (i.e. my lockscreen), then of course i just had to try a few ROMs... so yeah probably.
  7. #7  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    There are many people viewing my post but no responses... i was starting to think everyone hated this phone LOL. Anyways, that's some good info. I'm not too worried about battery because the Tbolt/stock battery was probably worse than the Rezound. Many Tbolt users ended up getting a Rezound battery to replace the stock Tbolt battery actually. I'm leaning towards the Rezound so far.

    Redcat ... The Rezound is a great phone, but I would definitely wait to see the new HTC phone. The Rezound's battery is close to horrible and it is a bit bulky too. I love the phone but my eyes will be glued to the Internet on the 13th.
    ~Janet~
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post

    Redcat ... The Rezound is a great phone, but I would definitely wait to see the new HTC phone. The Rezound's battery is close to horrible and it is a bit bulky too. I love the phone but my eyes will be glued to the Internet on the 13th.
    Thanks Janet. The Tbolt battery was terrible as well so i'm used to it. The Rezound actually weighs a little LESS than the Tbolt if you can believe it! Anyway, this is just a replacement phone for me. I'll be able to upgrade next year to a quad core beast of a phone (hopefully).
    skatergirl likes this.
  9. #9  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    Thanks Janet. The Tbolt battery was terrible as well so i'm used to it. The Rezound actually weighs a little LESS than the Tbolt if you can believe it! Anyway, this is just a replacement phone for me. I'll be able to upgrade next year to a quad core beast of a phone (hopefully).
    Well, the Rezound IS an awesome phone. I love it. It is my most favorite phone so far!
    ~Janet~
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    Well, the Rezound IS an awesome phone. I love it. It is my most favorite phone so far!
    If that's true, why are you skating with some guy in your avatar? Shouldn't you be skating with the Rezound in your hand? Or one Rezound in EACH HAND??? LOL
    skatergirl likes this.
  11. #11  
    goam's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    I used to love HTC, having previously had 2 Droid Incredibles and a Thunderbolt. I have to say, aside from the larger size, the Thunderbolt was my favorite HTC phone ever. I have to highly recommend against the Rezound. I am so disappointed in the Rezound that I doubt my next phone will be HTC. For starters, you have to be careful with the HD screen. I don't know what I did, but there is a way if you charge it and have a predominately white screen up when you plug it in that you will get huge burn marks in the screen (some type of burn in). I got it the first week and have remained extremely upset about since. I could live with the burn marks if the phone actually worked particularly well. The battery life is nonexistent. You can count on about 8 hours, if you don't actually talk on the phone. A 20 minute phone call will cut your battery life in half if not more. What is really frustrating is that it really struggles which changing sources. For example, my car has a bluetooth with the radio system. The thunderbolt worked so well I could have the phone in a briefcase on the backseat and the bluetooth would link as soon as I got in the car. The Rezound almost never links. I have to go into settings and turn the bluetooth off and then on each time I get in the car or they just don't like, even if I set the phone on the dash or front seat, it won't link unless reset. Similarly, it does a good job connecting to wifi when I get to work, but when I leave it almost never switches to mobile network. Again, I have to go in and turn the mobile network off and then back on for it to swtich from the wifi it was on back to just the network. None of these features were a problem with the Incredible or the Thunderbolt, but this puppy seems to have real problems switching into different modes. Additionally, it seems sort of random as to what downloads people send you that it will or won't open. I really hope they replace the Rezound with a faster, smaller Thunderbolt, because at least that one worked.
  12. #12  
    goam's Avatar

    Posts
    2 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Not sure why my first Reply didn't go through, but if you liked the Thunderbolt, which I had before my rezound, do not get the Rezound. I honestly hate this thing. The screen got giant burn marks the first week I had it, the bluetooth rarely works, usually I have to go in turn it off and then back on before it will link with anything, and the same for switching between work's wifi and mobile network, after being on wifi, have to manually tell the stupid thing to swtich to mobile network once I go back outside. Battery life is the worst.
  13. #13  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by redcat22 View Post
    If that's true, why are you skating with some guy in your avatar? Shouldn't you be skating with the Rezound in your hand? Or one Rezound in EACH HAND??? LOL
    Cute ... If I crash I will break my phone! LOL!
    ~Janet~
  14. #14  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by goam View Post
    Not sure why my first Reply didn't go through, but if you liked the Thunderbolt, which I had before my rezound, do not get the Rezound. I honestly hate this thing. The screen got giant burn marks the first week I had it, the bluetooth rarely works, usually I have to go in turn it off and then back on before it will link with anything, and the same for switching between work's wifi and mobile network, after being on wifi, have to manually tell the stupid thing to swtich to mobile network once I go back outside. Battery life is the worst.
    I never have any of those problems and most people who have posted in this forum have not had those problems either. Were you not able to return the phone and get a replacement?
    ~Janet~
    acejavelin likes this.
  15. #15  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by skatergirl View Post
    I never have any of those problems and most people who have posted in this forum have not had those problems either. Were you not able to return the phone and get a replacement?
    I never had those issues either.

    My first question to the op is are those the choices vzw gave you as a replacement or are you just getting a new phone? If those are the only choices, I say rezound. It has better battery life than the tbolt, and development is great.

    If you going with a new one, hold out for the dlx/HTC announcement coming up. I want that stupid phone so bad but I cannot have it... Then I would decide on the sgs, x+, rez, and dlx.

    Also, if you don't want to wait, or do not like the dlx, black Friday is always full of killer deals at best buy...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
  16. #16  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I never had those issues either.

    My first question to the op is are those the choices vzw gave you as a replacement or are you just getting a new phone? If those are the only choices, I say rezound. It has better battery life than the tbolt, and development is great.

    If you going with a new one, hold out for the dlx/HTC announcement coming up. I want that stupid phone so bad but I cannot have it... Then I would decide on the sgs, x+, rez, and dlx.

    Also, if you don't want to wait, or do not like the dlx, black Friday is always full of killer deals at best buy...

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    Piiza ... I am so sorry that Verizon changed its data plans because now you are leaving Verizon and you will not be able to get that phone. I know you want it. I am sad for you!
    ~Janet~
  17. #17  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    What is really gonna pass me off is next July it will come to Sprint under some other name....

    Listening to you guys and girls now put me in a note2 sgs3 dilemma when I do hit sprint. He'll I am even making my own excuses for the note 2.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    skatergirl likes this.
  18. #18  
    NoYankees44's Avatar

    Posts
    1,032 Posts
    ROM
    Viper

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Between the 2 mentioned:

    If you want a better screen and more proven developement, get the Rezound.

    If you want battery life and better processor, get the Inc.

    They are both good phones, but stock vs stock I give it to the Inc hands down if you don't factor in the screen. Now rooted, it's a toss up but the Rezound will more than surprise you with all the bloat off of it.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez) -- Addicted to crack and retired
    Thanked by:
  19. #19  
    skatergirl's Avatar
    Lovin' My Phone

    Posts
    1,312 Posts

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    What is really gonna pass me off is next July it will come to Sprint under some other name....

    Listening to you guys and girls now put me in a note2 sgs3 dilemma when I do hit sprint. He'll I am even making my own excuses for the note 2.

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I have been tempted by the Note since I first heard of it. If HTC can introduce a competing product, I'm on it!

    Maybe you can wait to go to Sprint until it gets the exact phone you want.
    ~Janet~
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  
    redcat22's Avatar

    Posts
    250 Posts
    ROM
    stock 4.1.2

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    I never had those issues either.

    My first question to the op is are those the choices vzw gave you as a replacement or are you just getting a new phone?...
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    I'm getting a replacement and i figured these are two phones that Verizon would let me have for free. I've read that most people that don't get a refurb'd Tbolt end up getting a Rezound. Which is fine, i know there are some sweet phones that will be release in the upcoming months, but i'm the type of person that doesn't need that new new shiny wham-bang phone when it hits the shelf. Which, in the case of the Tbolt, is a good thing. I got it 9 months after it went on sale which was perfect timing because i didn't go through any of the pain that other people had early on. I think by this time next year i'll be due for an upgrade.
  21. #21  
    Lactose The Intolerant's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    I struggled between getting the GN and Rezound (specs being very close) -- however, DAT SCREEN ! I mean, it's how we interact with the phone and Rezound's screen is (still) drop-dead gorgeous. Like several people here, I am a HTC 'fanboy' -- DInc for 2 years, then Rezound, my wife went from DInc to Thunderbolt (got her a Rezound battery)... yes, we all know battery life is not the best but we've all come up with ways of adapting.

    I think (hope) you'll be happy with the Rezound -- it's a very capable phone and since you familiar with ROMs and such, you'll get that much more out of the beast !
    redcat22 likes this.
  22. #22  
    piizzadude's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    5,768 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    I have made no secret of my dislike of the new dinc, so if it comes down to those two, I say rezound everytime. You won't feel the pinch of the battery much at all since you used a tbolt. Heck the rez will be an improvement for you

    Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    redcat22 likes this.
  23. #23  

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    I had the bolt. Verizon let me switch to the Rezound. Love it. I only like using HTC phones. I want the new one and can upgrade in march. But you can't go wrong with the rezound. I have had no.problems

    sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
  24. #24  
    TheAutoMomma's Avatar

    Posts
    149 Posts
    ROM
    CM9/Countershrike v. 2.3A

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    Personally, I love the Rezound. I may end up using it for years. If it had better battery life than the tragic battery life it has, it would be pretty much my perfect phone. I have had no real problems with it, other than a defective charge port which could happen to any phone.

    Best of luck with your decision! Always fun to get something different without burning an upgrade.

    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
  25. #25  

    Default Re: Getting a replacement, looking for opinion...

    I also have had no issues. I love this phone. I have friends who wish they could have it. Can't believe those issues. Mine is golden

    sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    skatergirl likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Looking for Opinions
    By AmousmosesMW in forum Droid RAZR MAXX
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-06-2012, 11:40 AM
  2. Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-24-2011, 02:50 AM
  3. Looking for opinions here...
    By Bob Brown in forum AT&T ATRIX
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 02-02-2011, 11:22 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-20-2010, 07:14 AM
  5. Android newbie looking for some "getting started" help
    By Android Addict in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-06-2010, 02:10 PM

Posting Permissions

B