DNA HERE!!

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Holy cow I want this phone!! My only concern is the battery size ... HELLO HTC!? It is non removable and only 2020mAH, not near the capacity of the Razr Maxx. Other than that, this phone looks amazing. I promised myself not to steal a family member's upgrade and not get a new phone until September, but phones for me are like crack to drug addicts and I just don't know how I am going to sit back and not get this phone if I hear anything at all about this battery being good.

Oh and HAPPY BIRTHDAY ACEJAVELIN!! Go buy yourself a new birthday present phone!!

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky, and, got an early release. The battery life is outstanding! As a rezound owner, it is quite an adjustment to not reach for charger. When the DNA is not in use, it uses very little power. I am down to 67% battery life after 3:22 uptime. (I started with 92%) While this may not sound very good, I was streaming music via Google Music for about 40 minutes. Playing with youtube, and, messing around with the camera, and, facebook.. I have gone over a day without re-charging. The DNA will outlast a rezound (with std battery) by a huge margin.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I was lucky, and, got an early release. The battery life is outstanding! As a rezound owner, it is quite an adjustment to not reach for charger. When the DNA is not in use, it uses very little power. I am down to 67% battery life after 3:22 uptime. (I started with 92%) While this may not sound very good, I was streaming music via Google Music for about 40 minutes. Playing with youtube, and, messing around with the camera, and, facebook.. I have gone over a day without re-charging. The DNA will outlast a rezound (with std battery) by a huge margin.

That is awesome news about the battery. How did you get an early release? How long have you had it? And basicially you are saying that you had the screen up and running for those three-plus hours?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Well even though I cannot get this beast, I wouldn't anyway. I cannot put the n4 down and praise the dna when they both have the same flaws. Non removable battery and no sdcard makes me want to break out the sad panda picture again....

I like the way it was phrased on the review... '16gb because that is the way verizon wants it'

Yes I know they are in it all to make money, but that sounds like they want to force data overages by limiting the internal storage and forcing you to the cloud

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Well even though I cannot get this beast, I wouldn't anyway. I cannot put the n4 down and praise the dna when they both have the same flaws. Non removable battery and no sdcard makes me want to break out the sad panda picture again....

I like the way it was phrased on the review... '16gb because that is the way verizon wants it'

Yes I know they are in it all to make money, but that sounds like they want to force data overages by limiting the internal storage and forcing you to the cloud

Thank you Piiza for weighing in. Of course the battery issue has me concerned and although I don't think the SD card is a big issue for me, I did find it troublesome that there is no SD card slot.

TheAutoMomma

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site

I'm with you here. I think it's a gorgeous device, and I would love to have it... If it had expandable memory and removable battery. I just can't see using the cloud for everything. Even if it came with 32gb storage I could live with it, but I had a 16gb iphone for a little while, and filled that thing full in no time flat. I just can't see complaining about it in one device but forgiving it in another just because it's a manufacturer I like. I've always held up expandable memory as one reason Android phones excel over Apple phones and removable battery, too. I can't just suddenly say those things don't matter anymore because the company making the phone is one I like. I'm feeling pretty sad panda myself. :(

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You know as time goes by and I am seeing the costs and size of those portable power packs coming down, not to mention external battery cases, I am giving a bit on the battery thing. I am not there yet, but I can be a bit flexible.

The sdcard is a no go though. I have 96gb on my sgs with about 40 used. Could I trim that, sure I could, but why should I have to?

I have also become a bit of a shutterbug with my sgs. Taking pictures left and right. With a 16 or even 32gb device, I would have to start throwing weekly phone maintenance into my routine and I just shouldn't have to.

In another thread Phil or Jerry said 16 is good enough for 80%, I guess that isn't me...

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You know as time goes by and I am seeing the costs and size of those portable power packs coming down, not to mention external battery cases, I am giving a bit on the battery thing. I am not there yet, but I can be a bit flexible.

The sdcard is a no go though. I have 96gb on my sgs with about 40 used. Could I trim that, sure I could, but why should I have to?

I have also become a bit of a shutterbug with my sgs. Taking pictures left and right. With a 16 or even 32gb device, I would have to start throwing weekly phone maintenance into my routine and I just shouldn't have to.

In another thread Phil or Jerry said 16 is good enough for 80%, I guess that isn't me...

I do have a power pack and I use dropbox for my pics and don't really like a bunch on my phone because they are just in the way. I might be a candidate for this beast!? Maybe I should give it a try to let you all know what it is like?

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I use Dropbox too but you still have delete it off the sdcard

Please do give us a review when you get it

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
I will be speaking to the wife tonight about this phone as I wanted to give her an option on her next phone with more advanced notice then her last. With it being slightly smaller in size she might not feel as much of a tard if she has to use the phone cause her bluetooth died. But battery life is going to be a challege. She does carry my 4000mh External battery in her purse which is smaller then most phones It'll be down to music and the lack of SD... Right now I HATE how motorola's (razr) default player (she wont switch) doesn't want to use the SD card so she is running slim on her music compared to what she could or woud like. I think that is what we have to think about. I plan on getting the same phone as she if it's still out when I decide to upgrade my Rezound. So I'm hoping she picks well :)

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
That is awesome news about the battery. How did you get an early release? How long have you had it? And basicially you are saying that you had the screen up and running for those three-plus hours?

I got the phone through HTCelevate, they had an early release program, where 20 lucky members got to Droid DNA's. I have had it since Friday, and, while I can tell the battery life is way better than the rezound, I don't have any real numbers to quantify that. I will let the professional reviewers do that. With Jelly Bean, they change the battery counters, and, I haven't found a (haven't looked yet) app that would display the battery usage like they use to be displayed. To get an estimate of the my screen time I need to count and add the lines on a line graph (not a good method at all). I haven't ran a screen up time test yet. the 3 hours and change were system up time, and, currently, I am at 59% on 5:39 of boot time. So, my battery dropped 8% in about 2 hours of light usage.

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Just a side note: The DNA runs cool. The highest temp, I have seen is about 35 C (fairly high usage). the coolest 17 C, just a little bit above ambient temperatures,when it used lightly.

TheAutoMomma

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I do have a power pack and I use dropbox for my pics and don't really like a bunch on my phone because they are just in the way. I might be a candidate for this beast!? Maybe I should give it a try to let you all know what it is like?

Get it and give us a review! I would LOVE to hear your thoughts on it as someone who really likes the Rezound. :thumbup:

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I have jumped from Sense 3.5 to 4+. I wasn't bothered by Sense, and, I don't mind touchwiz either. I am not the best person to say what is different on Sense, as, typically I use use computing devices, and, just deal with any short comings as they come. With that said, I didn't notice how smooth the DNA ran, but, using a Galaxy Note, I could tell a difference. A few apps don't quite work on the DNA, as, not apps support the 1080p screen. You will need HD version vs the regular Angry Birds Star Wars for instance.

The things I noticed are: task manager is gone, the battery statistics are different. Merging my phone list was a pain(it could have been user error), but, I had a harder time of getting rid of duplicate contacts than I did with my Rezound. I was missing the menu button. Beats audio, if you care now, works with more apps, including Google Music and, YouTube.

The big improvements to me(other that the screen) are battery life, battery temperature, camera, along with camera features, beats audio works with more apps. With a replaceable battery and sd card slot (or with 32 Gb, instead of 16) , this would be the ultimate phone, but, I think they opted out of these to make the phone thinner, and, lighter. It does feel good in the hand. And, I think I saw that the phone was water resistant - something I don't ever plan to test.

Huggie87

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I was looking forward to this phone but now that i know the size of the battery and no SD slot I'm going to pass

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Maybe this shouldn't be a q&a on ya but what is different on sense 4+? Anything big?

I should note that HTC gave us the phones, with the desire that we answer as many questions as possible. From the comments, I have seen HTC needs some help to re-build their reputation, particularly around battery life. While a bigger battery would seem to be a requirement, I think HTC went for an optimized size. People are claiming the 2020 battery is too small, but, I think they need to give it a try before slamming it.

TheAutoMomma

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I was looking forward to this phone but now that i know the size of the battery and no SD slot I'm going to pass

Me too. Really disappointed by these two things.

Edit: not as much size of battery but non-removable. I don't like that if the battery fries, the whole device is garbage.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
And remember that the "16GB" won't likely be 16GB of available space, if it is like the Rez, there will be about 10GB of storage... Huge mistake in my opinion to take such a power house and cripple it like that with no options for more... personally on my phone I have 15-20GB of just music, not to mention photos and whatever else, on a 32GB card and am debating on 64GB one, could probably trim that down, but then I wouldn't have as large a selection of music to crank up at work. :D

Battery concerns me as well, even if the display and radios are more efficient than the Rezound, I just don't see how a 2020mAh battery is going to cut it, with no options to get around it other than the "wireless" charging, which just seems to me to be another way for Verizon to get more money out of us.

Still, if there was a 32GB version available with a 3000-3200mAh battery option it would be a Fry moment!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dedehammac