DNA HERE!!

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Have you ever thought about moving your massive music library off to Google Music? And HOLY $%^& that's a lot of music. I came close to 8GB once. That was when all my music was flac before converting back to MP3 for sheer portability.

I worry alot with streaming music from google music... I have a tad under 8k of music files (51gigs) which all of it is on google music... the problem is last month I did not stream a single bit of music (which shocked me) and I used 2.4 gig just my phone ... now currently i'm unlimited but i can not afford to buy phones at full retail. So when my wife wants the newest phone we will be switched to the limited and that is when it's going to be cruical that I watch my data usage like a hawk.

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Google music is terrible. I'm a player pro fan, because it has smart playlists, and i can use the star rating to make playlist automatically. I have 22GB's of mp3's, so I'm a no go on anything less than 32GB. Now if google let 3rd party apps access my online music, I might change my mind.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I also carry around 15-20GB of music typically on a 32GB card, I don't use Google Music or online service because I will play music for hours and hours at a time and do not have an unlimited data plan (4GB/month 4G promo plan), and in the area I use it most the WiFi is, lets just say, less than adequate even for low bit rate streams.

pcabe5

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
I worry alot with streaming music from google music... I have a tad under 8k of music files (51gigs) which all of it is on google music... the problem is last month I did not stream a single bit of music (which shocked me) and I used 2.4 gig just my phone ... now currently i'm unlimited but i can not afford to buy phones at full retail. So when my wife wants the newest phone we will be switched to the limited and that is when it's going to be cruical that I watch my data usage like a hawk.

Ever think of storing some of your Google Play on your phone? This way you wouldn't have to store all the music.

Last edited:

jphillips1963

Banned
Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Those of you with the DNA and the rezound can you give us the dbm numbers between the two? Also this battery life you guys speak of is any of it on wifi or is it on LTE, then next since it was stated you guys were given the phones to test and play with in order to answer questions and help HTC with marketing this phone it makes one leery of if all is being 100% truthful or maybe best to say being conservative over some of the real world use. We all know HTC is in some financial difficulties and this could be there savior and again it could be what kills them. What we all wish for is real/world results and honest facts. Not saying any of you are being dishonest just don't wanna hear a sales pitch to buy this phone when in reality my rezound works flawlessly

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
It is impressive, but the lack of removable battery and sd card are a big downer for me. On my rezound, I had 3 external batteries and a standard battery. I doubt that the DNA could surpass the battery life of the four batteries on my rezound.

I am sure there will be other 1080p phones in the pipeline.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I wish Verizon would bring that promo back.

Yours is for lifetime, right?
Well, nothing is, but as long as I have a 4G phone it should be fine... I don't know if they will make me change plans to the new "Shared Data" ones when I get an upgrade in the spring, I hope not, it makes no sense since I only have the one line on my plan.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Well, nothing is, but as long as I have a 4G phone it should be fine... I don't know if they will make me change plans to the new "Shared Data" ones when I get an upgrade in the spring, I hope not, it makes no sense since I only have the one line on my plan.

I assumed that was a Share Everything plan. When I look at the Plans section of the VZW site, I see two options: Share Everything and Prepaid. So, I always thought we're eventually getting stuck with a Share Everything plan whether we have 1 device or 10 on our accounts.

I wish I could pay retail; just not in the cards right now. So, I am slowly swallowing VZW's bitter pill.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
They say that HTC is in trouble. I am doubtful of HTC's recovery because little-by-little, HTC is copying some of the worst features in iPhones: lack of removable external storage & batteries being the most obvious.

I see these "testers" (free marketers) reporting improved battery life. But, I always prepare for the hardest case scenario - whether it's a natural disaster, a family emergency or an unusual, unexpected business trip. That day when there is no power source to charge the phone with. That day will also be the day I NEED to rely on my phone's features for a very extended period of time - likely more than 24 hours.

HTC's newest devices all will fail to serve me when that day comes.

Sammy isn't making the same mistakes, so far, and look where they are - better off than Apple according to the recent news about market share. After 2 HTC devices and countless recommendations to others, I am finally ready to say bye to HTC & helloooooooo anyone else.

HTC has been digging its own grave for quite a while now.

majorpayne

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Ever think of storing some of your Google Play on your phone? This way you wouldn't have to stream all the time.

Some of it is on my Phone but the point i was getting at is that people are saying just throw XXX on googel music or online. All that does is make you eat more data which mean Verizon will make more money from you sooner or later. A 16gb phone without a sd card slot is not conducive to my (and most others) lifestyle. Unfortunately I do not have WiFi at my job. So thats 8 hours that I could be streaming a day.This of course doesn't include anything my wife has done which can me 100 megs to a little over 2 gig depending on her mood.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I assumed that was a Share Everything plan. When I look at the Plans section of the VZW site, I see two options: Share Everything and Prepaid. So, I always thought we're eventually getting stuck with a Share Everything plan whether we have 1 device or 10 on our accounts.

I wish I could pay retail; just not in the cards right now. So, I am slowly swallowing VZW's bitter pill.

As of now, if you have a family share or individual plan, you can keep it. If you have unlimited data and want to keep it , then you cannot upgrade on 2 year subsidized upgrade pricing, but can pay full retail, buy used, cpo, or any other source.

If you choose to upgrade via 2 year subsidized pricing, then you will have to switch to tiered data, but you would not be forced to a share everything plan.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
As of now, if you have a family share or individual plan, you can keep it. If you have unlimited data and want to keep it , then you cannot upgrade on 2 year subsidized upgrade pricing, but can pay full retail, buy used, cpo, or any other source.

If you choose to upgrade via 2 year subsidized pricing, then you will have to switch to tiered data, but you would not be forced to a share everything plan.

Sent from my Droid RAZR MAXX / Atrix Lapdock
Good to know, hopefully the same thing still applies in April, when I am up for a new phone!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some of it is on my Phone but the point i was getting at is that people are saying just throw XXX on googel music or online. All that does is make you eat more data which mean Verizon will make more money from you sooner or later. A 16gb phone without a sd card slot is not conducive to my (and most others) lifestyle. Unfortunately I do not have WiFi at my job. So thats 8 hours that I could be streaming a day.This of course doesn't include anything my wife has done which can me 100 megs to a little over 2 gig depending on her mood.

I said the same thing in one of the many 16gb is all you need threads. Pretty much got called a fool for wanting more. I am on unlimited, going to sprint for more unlimited, and I still want to carry around 50gb of my own stuff...

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

MrSmith317

Mr Fix-It
Mar 1, 2010
Visit site
I said the same thing in one of the many 16gb is all you need threads. Pretty much got called a fool for wanting more. I am on unlimited, going to sprint for more unlimited, and I still want to carry around 50gb of my own stuff...

You guys really make me want to develop a DLNA server in a thumb drive. 50GB of stuff... I use about 100GB of online "cloud" storage via dropbox, my personal websites, and Google's various services. I couldn't imagine going back to relying on an SD Card(especially since mine have fried so easily)

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
You guys really make me want to develop a DLNA server in a thumb drive. 50GB of stuff... I use about 100GB of online "cloud" storage via dropbox, my personal websites, and Google's various services. I couldn't imagine going back to relying on an SD Card(especially since mine have fried so easily)

I do too, but I still like having my stuff right here sometimes

NightAngel79

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
Ohh, and any word on USB hosting? Even though it would piss me off to no end, using a USB stick would be a crappy option to help with the memory. I know HTC is not keen on USB hosting, but one can hope.
It seems to work

Wait... USB Hosting works out of the box (with the correct cable, I assume)??? So I could plug it into a powered hub in my car with a 64GB thumb drive also attached, it will charge and access the thumb drive (full of music) and I can BT to the car stereo all at the same time???
Out of the box, there is even a section in the 'storage' menu for 'usb storage'
2012-11-15 23.59.07.jpg

Those of you with the DNA and the rezound can you give us the dbm numbers between the two? Also this battery life you guys speak of is any of it on wifi or is it on LTE, then next since it was stated you guys were given the phones to test and play with in order to answer questions and help HTC with marketing this phone it makes one leery of if all is being 100% truthful or maybe best to say being conservative over some of the real world use. We all know HTC is in some financial difficulties and this could be there savior and again it could be what kills them. What we all wish for is real/world results and honest facts. Not saying any of you are being dishonest just don't wanna hear a sales pitch to buy this phone when in reality my rezound works flawlessly

My rezound works flawlessly as well. And yes, the DNA was free.... BUT the battery screen shots I posted here, and on my thread here: http://androidforums.com/htc-droid-...action-discussion-real-world-test-thread.html are me using the phone with wifi, without wifi, and one run through using a bit of both...

Yes, I love this phone but facts are facts, I am completely impressed with this phone's battery life. It isn't as good as the 2750 I had in my rezound but that thing was a BRICK! LOL

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

I was one of lucky ones. We were given the phones to help generate some buzz. For me I would feel funny saying anything bad about the phone, luckily, there are not too many negatives - the biggest negative to me is storage space (you may actually need to manage it).

The battery life (coming from a rezound) is outstanding, truly amazing.The battery size has a lot of people concerned, and, given HTC's track record, they are skeptical. I would be too, if I didn't have one in hand. The rated standby time and usage times for the DNA are quite a bit better than the rezound.

Honestly, if you are happy with the rezound, I would keep it. I know I would have kept mine. My plan was to wait until my upgrade was up, and then, evaluate all of the current models to see if there was something significantly better. The DNA comes really close (either more internal memory, or a SD card slot and, it would have been really terrific). The DNA is much more energy efficient than the rezound, and, I think we can look forward to more phones that are more energy efficient. If you were not in the mode to immediately upgrade, I would wait. There is always something better coming. But, if you are looking in the near futue, I think the DNA deserves top consideration.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz