Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By TBolt
  • 1 Post By dwaynewilliams#WN
  • 1 Post By piizzadude
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Going to GSM Country, hopefully rezound works?

Well will be leaving for a vacation to a GSM country, so hopefully my Rezound with the Global leak will work without any issues. I may try to buy a SIM card from the country I'll be in, but was hoping the phone will work with the current verizon SIM. I know it will cost more, but just in case I cannot find a SIM.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Default Re: Going to GSM Country, hopefully rezound works?

I know this is a few days old, but you should be able to find them in the airport

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Please let us know how it works out for you, have a safe trip

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Yes, safe travels. Please let us know how well it worked out.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Transformer Pad Infinity (r CROMi-X)
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Well I'm here on vacation and my phone has no service. They say I can get a Vini SIM at the post office, but thought since I had the Global update on my phone it would work. Global is selected and I even tried to select GSM, but no luck. Wonder if somehow Verizon has to unlock my SIM. Guess I just don't use the phone and enjoy more of my vacation.
    Thanked by:
    TBolt 

Quote Originally Posted by gkuypers View Post
    Well I'm here on vacation and my phone has no service. They say I can get a Vini SIM at the post office, but thought since I had the Global update on my phone it would work. Global is selected and I even tried to select GSM, but no luck. Wonder if somehow Verizon has to unlock my SIM. Guess I just don't use the phone and enjoy more of my vacation.
    The way I would have expected to use the Rez would be to purchase a local pre-paid SIM & install it in the phone. If you go this route next, please let us know how that works out.

Enjoy your vaca!
    Palm Treo 650 > Treo 700p > BB Curve 8330 > DInc (r) > Rezound (r) > custom Moto X
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

I thought i typed that a few hours ago but tbolt is right, you need the sim. the VZW sim will not work

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

I think the Verizon SIM would work... if several things fell into place: 1) The global mode of the phone was officially supported, 2) You contacted Verizon prior to your trip to enable the Global Mode on your phone, and 3) You were in an area that is serviced by a Verizon international partner. Barring those three things, a local SIM should work properly though.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    I think the Verizon SIM would work... if several things fell into place: 1) The global mode of the phone was officially supported, 2) You contacted Verizon prior to your trip to enable the Global Mode on your phone, and 3) You were in an area that is serviced by a Verizon international partner. Barring those three things, a local SIM should work properly though.
    Your right except there would be no real savings. You would pay the verizon international roaming fee verses the local prepaid sim

ROM
    Nexus 4 (Beanstalk/Aio)

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Your right except there would be no real savings. You would pay the verizon international roaming fee verses the local prepaid sim
    Never mentioned saving money...

A local SIM would indeed be a better choice for calling out, but people could only call you if they knew your local number... or you used Google Voice.
    Current Phones: Google Nexus 4 on Aio Wireless (Beanstalk Official KitKat ROM) / LG G2 on Verizon (CarbonROM KitKat)
    Current Tablets: Apple iPad 4 & Nextbook 8 Premium with marxo's N8+ ROM - Revision 1b2 (ICS 4.0.4)
    Previous Android Devices: HTC Rezound, HTC Incredible 2, Samsung Stratosphere, HTC Aria, Samsung Galaxy S2 Skyrocket
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Way back in the day before smartphones I would buy a phone locally if I was going to be somewhere more than a week and email the number to those that mattered

Quote Originally Posted by piizzadude View Post
    Way back in the day before smartphones I would buy a phone locally if I was going to be somewhere more than a week and email the number to those that mattered

That makes far too much sense. We're trying to keep things complicated here, ya see?
    Wanda likes this.

Wonder how we will be able to have a global phone once LTE is fully up. I can't envision phone manufacturers keeping GSM and CDMA radios in phones if they are not needed.

Course as it stands right now your small local cell provider will go out of business because they won't be able to roam anymore. Just venting, lack of competition is not good.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Update from vacation. Emailed Verizon and told them I had the Global RUU loaded on my phone and they said there was something on my account that would not let my phone access internationally. They removed this from my account and I'm now connected GSM to the VINI network using my Verizon Rezound SIM. Yes it may be more expensive, but I only plan to use it for emergency or to send some texts. So, if you wish to use your Verizon SIM in your Rezound, call Verizon before leaving to the GSM / UMTS country and you can use your phone without purcahsing another SIM.

Quote Originally Posted by gkuypers View Post
    Update from vacation. Emailed Verizon and told them I had the Global RUU loaded on my phone and they said there was something on my account that would not let my phone access internationally. They removed this from my account and I'm now connected GSM to the VINI network using my Verizon Rezound SIM. Yes it may be more expensive, but I only plan to use it for emergency or to send some texts. So, if you wish to use your Verizon SIM in your Rezound, call Verizon before leaving to the GSM / UMTS country and you can use your phone without purcahsing another SIM.
    Thanks for the update. Have a good vacation.

Call Verizon and get the international plan. You will have an expensive bill if you dont

sent from either my HTC Rezound or my Samsung Galaxy 10.1 tablet
    sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Just got some Beats headphones today. Was laready a moot point for me, but I really don't care now.

from my Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.

ROM
    HTC One (Verizon) Stock

Quote Originally Posted by dwaynewilliams#AC View Post
    Just got some Beats headphones today. Was laready a moot point for me, but I really don't care now.

Uhhhhhh OK. Thanks for dropping that knowledge on us.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Quote Originally Posted by Wanda View Post
    Uhhhhhh OK. Thanks for dropping that knowledge on us.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    Sorry. Wrong forum.

If I were never here, you would never know.
    Wanda likes this.
    Banned

Global Posts
    5,774 Global Posts
    ROM
    Something JB

Drop by anytime we are a fountain of uselessness around here
    Wanda likes this.