Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock ICS

Default External SD Card Use

Hi guys - does anyone know how I can save apps onto the EXTERNAL SD card with the Rezound? It's pretty frustrating that the "Phone Storage" option is just for internal SD. I have to say the Rezound's file system is unnecessarily irritating to deal with. My old Droid X was so much clearer about where data was being saved. I would be willing to root the device, but I don't have any experience with rooting. Thanks!

Global Posts
    1,835 Global Posts
    ROM
    VernomRez / ICS / CM9

Default Re: External SD Card Use

As far as I have seen it moves it from the Phone to the ext_sd as if not i wouldn't have room on my phone

Edit: Hmm it seems that i'm wrong hmm
    Palm Centro, Palm Pre +, HTC Rezound, Samsung Galaxy S4

Global Posts
    1,192 Global Posts
    ROM
    Purity with Hells-Core

You can't have apps on the external SD card... the Rezound has three storage possibilities:

1) Internal Storage - ~2.4GB (a "partition" of the internal 16GB flash storage) - where user data and apps are stored by default
    2) Phone Storage - ~10GB (a "partition" of the internal 16GB flash storage also referred to as SD CARD in some cases) - Used for user files (music, videos, documents, etc) and where apps that can be moved are moved to via the embedded "move to phone storage" feature
    3) External Storage or SD Card - 16GB (or whatever size your card is) - used for user file storage (music, videos, documents, etc) and other file storage by come some apps that specifically are coded to use it or store information here. Some apps may install data on this device.

Normally external storage (SD Card) cannot be used for apps themselves at all, this is because the phone doesn't see it as "/sdcard/" but rather a subdirectory called "/sdcard/ext_sd/". There may be apps that fool the operating system into thinking this is a native extension of Phone Storage but I have no experience in using any of them or recommendations and it might require root access. There may also be some restrictions as the external microSD card must be in FAT32 file format as well, which do not allow for Linux/Android native file system attributes (Owner, permissions, etc.).
    Current Personal Phone: Google Nexus 4 on Cricket/Aio (Stock Lollipop with hells-Core Kernel)
    Current Work Phone: LG G2 VS980 on VZW (Snuzzo's Plain-Andy ROM)
    Current Tablet: iPad 4/Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2
    Other phones "in the family": HTC One (M7), Moto G GPE, LG G2
    Previous/Retired Android Devices: HTC Aria/Incredible 2/Rezound/DNA, Samsung Stratosphere, SGS2 Skyrocket, Nextbook 8P

Quote Originally Posted by acejavelin View Post
    You can't have apps on the external SD card... the Rezound has three storage possibilities:

Normally external storage (SD Card) cannot be used for apps themselves at all, There may be apps that fool the operating system
    I agree Android programs (Google apps) cannot be moved. Some downloaded Apps can be moved but they move from internal to phone storage on the Rezound and cannot be moved to the external sd card.