A tragedy occurred last night.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Last night as I lay down for the night, I sent my wife a text (she works nights). As soon as I pressed send, my Rezound lept from my hands and tumbled to the floor. Picture in your mind any scene from a movie depicting this. My Rezound arcing through the air in slow motion. Me desperately trying to catch it, in slower motion. The anguished cry of, "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"
Well, needless to say, I didn't catch it. It hit the floor, hard. I picked it up off the floor and discovered a crack from just below the upper left corner to about the middle of the right side. It works, but the screen is broken.

So, now that you have shared in my anguish and woe, I ask some advice of my fellow Rezound owners.
Should I get a replacement through the insurance or get a new phone?
I would have to pay full price for a new phone. No upgrade at this time and I'm not giving up my unlimited data.
I really do love my Rezound, but I am wary of getting a refurbished one.

Any thoughts?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I just saw a video last night from this kid, lockergnome... Same thing happened to his iPhone 5 and apparently the store replaced his for 0 dollars because he was still under warranty... I guess he just got lucky but yeah, if you're not looking to replace your phone with a newer model, I'd say go for the insurance replacement instead of paying full price... you end up losing more money with the last option.

danhartman26

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
When I used the insurance, I got a new Rez in the box; So another set of beats and another battery took the sting out of that deductible.
I say use the insurance - the Rez still measures up with current offerings. Save paying full price for later, when the phone specs blow this one away...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I had considered getting a different phone. I really like HTC phones. Rezound is my second. I was kind of excited about the DNA, but was disappointed by it when it released.
I will be filing my claim and hopefully have my phone shiny and new(ish) again.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Insurance in this case is the way to go, I went through a very similar situation a month or so ago... Although I didn't get a new phone as a replacement, the one I got was in nearly new condition, although the last week or so I have been have proximity sensor issues (could be screen protector though), other than that I have been happy with my replacement. Good luck!

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, it just bugs me when fans of that annoying prick feel they have to drop his name unnecessarily into conversations. wtf.
Ummm... not a fan, sorry... I just happened to come across the video last night and the very same situation with another phone in this post... if I was a fan I wouldn't call him "this kid", I'd have used his name (which I couldn't remember so I used the nickname I did remember) ;)

twolastnames

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Get the new one, don't open it, sell it as such on swappa, use money for DNA. Brag here on how awesome new phone is, make us feel sad, PROFIT!

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
twolastnames, excellent strategy. The only problem is that I see the DNA as having two very major flaws, to little storage and no SD card. Those in combination completely make me not want that phone.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping this happens to me as well (the new Rezound, not the phone taking a swim).
I will find out when I get home from work today.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
No such luck. Its a refurb. I started the long process of setting it up like the last one. I have them both with me at work today. I will compare them screen by screen and get the new one exactly like the old one.

acordo01

Oct 4, 2010
Visit site
twolastnames, excellent strategy. The only problem is that I see the DNA as having two very major flaws, to little storage and no SD card. Those in combination completely make me not want that phone.

Then I would recommend the galaxy note 2 . 64 gb expandable micro sd card slot and 16gb on board. I am currently running it with 80 gb :) have ton of music and lots of movies on it. Its still running like a champ. If of course those 2 things are important to u :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Then I would recommend the galaxy note 2 . 64 gb expandable micro sd card slot and 16gb on board. I am currently running it with 80 gb :) have ton of music and lots of movies on it. Its still running like a champ. If of course those 2 things are important to u :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Android Central Forums

I think I'm going to stick with the Rezound for now. Those two flaws for the DNA would be totally different if one or the other were better. If it had more storage with no SD slot or the amount it has now with SD slot.. I could accept that.
I think I'll quench my thirst for a new device with a tablet this year. I'll look at the phones available this time next year and see what's what.

And, skatergirl, yes I got a refurb from insurance. Lovingly rebuilt in the Philippines. I do get a new battery out of it. When you send it back you aren't supposed to send anything but the phone. So I now have a spare battery. Now I just need an external charger.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
A little update on this. My daughter called me a little while ago. the first call I received since I set up the phone. The speaker was terrible. It was full of static and crackled a lot.
I called the insurance people. They had me go through a couple things and then called the phone to ensure the problem was still there. After that, they processed for another replacement phone. The representative helping me said she put in for them to send me a new device.
Looks like I will get a new Rezound after all.
Overall they were very helpful and very courteous.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
When I was having issues with my bolt, Verizon was great and let me have a Rezound. It was a refurbished and I haven't had any problems with it. I don't have insurance but I do have the extended warranty that I pay 1.99 a month for. And that is good because I was a month out on the warranty on the Thunderbolt. I had no out of pocket cost for the replacement. I am enjoying the Rezound but look forward to the Note2 in March. The DNA not having expandable memory or removeable battery is a deal breaker for me. I do not like owning a device that the battery can't be removed. If that phone were to go bad due to the battery you are out of luck until you get a replacement. Shame on the manufacturers not thinking about that.