Broken screen! Noooooooo!!

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I've been a happy Rezound owner since March, and it's been in a case since day one. Tonight my 2 year old daughter grabbed it off my computer desk and threw it, because that's what 2 year olds love to do. Well, as fate would have it, it landed perfectly on it's face and spider-webbed the screen on the lower right side. The top glass is actually still smooth, the crack seems to be underneath, and touch input is not affected. Of course this is the first phone I've owned that I didn't buy the Asurion insurance, but I am still within the one year warranty period. What do you think my chances are of having Verizon send me a CLNR? I guess I could look for a cheap replacement on Craigslist, but I'd really like to avoid that if possible. Thoughts?

Raymond Tan

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If your handy you might try replacing the screen yourself. If you google "rezound screen replacement" you'll get some hits on places that sell the screen. I think there was also a youtube video on how to do it. As far as Verizon I think you're probably out of luck. Good luck.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I would check with HTC and see how much it is for them to replace it honestly, if you can't find a shop locally to do it... I know that Samsung does them for about $90-$150 depending on model so my guess is HTC would be very similar priced, and if the screen/digitizer kit is around $75+ bucks, it might be worth it to have it done by experts. I have heard lots of incidents where people's GPS or vibrate do not work properly after self-repairs!

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
I called up Verizon this morning and worked my magic on the friendly female CSR who took my call. I was honest with her about what happened, talked about how much I love being a Verizon customer, how much I love the phone, and made her laugh a little at some corny jokes. After just a few minutes she was completely in my camp, and told me she wanted to try and find a solution. She said she was going to go up the chain of command to try to get an exception made for my screen damage, and get back to me with an answer. 45 minutes later I got an email telling me my replacement phone would be shipped today, and that I won't be charged for the screen damage. Kinda stunned.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I called up Verizon this morning and worked my magic on the friendly female CSR who took my call. I was honest with her about what happened, talked about how much I love being a Verizon customer, how much I love the phone, and made her laugh a little at some corny jokes. After just a few minutes she was completely in my camp, and told me she wanted to try and find a solution. She said she was going to go up the chain of command to try to get an exception made for my screen damage, and get back to me with an answer. 45 minutes later I got an email telling me my replacement phone would be shipped today, and that I won't be charged for the screen damage. Kinda stunned.

Dude, last nights Powerball jackpot was $587.5 Million... you used your mojo in the wrong place :p Grats on the replacement phone, though.

mstraw9379

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Its a day of wins in the Rezound camp. My NEW phone is on its way now after the refurb had a speaker issue. The refurb was to replace my broken screen.

jbarborka

Jun 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude, last nights Powerball jackpot was $587.5 Million... you used your mojo in the wrong place :p Grats on the replacement phone, though.

I was in a group that purchased about 20 tickets, and believe me my mojo was focused on the jackpot like a laser lol. While we didn't win the jackpot, I consider a replacement phone a big win in this case. Very happy day.

Saraf F

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Wow lucky you. I gently dropped my 5-day old DNA last night and the entire screen shattered :'( - I can't even use the front camera because a large crack goes across it. The guy I talked to (Anthony) wanted me to use the insurance - sorry, not happening. I said "No, this seems to be not what you promised in all your hype about this phone" and he said "Ok go into your local store and see if they will help." Really Verizon?? Not the service I was hoping for :(

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Wow lucky you. I gently dropped my 5-day old DNA last night and the entire screen shattered :'( - I can't even use the front camera because a large crack goes across it. The guy I talked to (Anthony) wanted me to use the insurance - sorry, not happening. I said "No, this seems to be not what you promised in all your hype about this phone" and he said "Ok go into your local store and see if they will help." Really Verizon?? Not the service I was hoping for :(

Ouch! Shattered? That's... that's... I dunno, tech abuse or something! Sorry to hear. The one bright spot (if possible) -- since the phone just came out, refurb units are probably limited, you stand a pretty good chance of getting a new phone as the replacement.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Or you should take better care of your device and not drop it. The glass has never been advertised as break proof. The only one responsible for it is you, and the only option for you is insurance.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Or you should take better care of your device and not drop it. The glass has never been advertised as break proof. The only one responsible for it is you, and the only option for you is insurance.

A gentle drop should not be allowed to create so much damage.

Is the DNA advertised as having Guerilla Glass? Would not be the first time we've discovered that the Guerrilla Glass reputation is just hype.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
A gentle drop should not be allowed to create so much damage.

Is the DNA advertised as having Guerilla Glass? Would not be the first time we've discovered that the Guerrilla Glass reputation is just hype.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

What gentle drop? He dropped it two feet onto concrete or asphalt, and the phone had no case on. A gentle drop would be onto carpet or grass.

Also, if you paid attention to what gorilla glass actually advertises, you would know it has never, ever been advertised as shatter or break proof. It has only been advertised as scratch resistant, which it is.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
What gentle drop? He dropped it two feet onto concrete or asphalt, and the phone had no case on. A gentle drop would be onto carpet or grass.

Also, if you paid attention to what gorilla glass actually advertises, you would know it has never, ever been advertised as shatter or break proof. It has only been advertised as scratch resistant, which it is.

I'm so impressed with your tone / attitude. You must be the most important person on your side of the country. Pardon me, master. I beg for your forgiveness and will never disagree with you again, Master. I will beat myself up in your presence in self-loathing agony.

lord-rings-gollum.jpg

btw, yes ... you sound like a total arse.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm so impressed with your tone / attitude. You must be the most important person on your side of the country. Pardon me, master. I beg for your forgiveness and will never disagree with you again, Master. I will beat myself up in your presence in self-loathing agony.

View attachment 50567

btw, yes ... you sound like a total arse.

Well, when you post silly things, you get silly responses. Not quite sure what you expected.

johnriii

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
while I celebrate the good fortunes of the OP, the person who "gently dropped" their phone cracks me up. describe to me what gently dropped means? can you gently fall down a flight of stairs? I've had smartphones and cell phones for the last 11 years, and do you know how many times I've dropped ANY of them? twice. from the couch, onto a carpet. and it's not like I don't always have mine in hand, because if you see me, you see my phone most of the time. It's all about being careful. you have a mini-computer in your hand, and they are fragile. if you have insurance, use it. stop expecting something for nothing.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
seniorengineerdood