Noob questions part deux - minor success!

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I would like to thank everyone again for the wealth of info in the original thread. I still have questions though. I think i didn't do a very good job with the factory reset. It took me hours to figure out how to get my stuff back. The instructions that were given were clean and concise, I think my limited experience hindered me a bit. On a happier note, my GPS is back and so is wicked quick usefulness.
1. I was looking at MyBackup Pro as an alternative to saving stuff on my pc. Why do the permissions include doing anything without the owner's knowledge or permission. For example, "add or modify calendar events and send email to guests without owners' knowledge", "edit SMS or MMS", and/or "modify secure system settings" ? Perhaps my ignorance is showing but I thought the point of this app was to copy stuff from point A and put it at point B unaltered and unsnooped. Reading and altering seems a bit intrusive. A lot of apps seem to do this.
2. Does anyone understand why Google maps needs to use my camera and mic without my knowledge? Or "manage the accounts list" and "directly call phone numbers
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention." ?
3. How do I turn off predictive text! Please help, it's driving me crazy! i also can't find how to turn off the vibrate while I'm typing. The Rez's owners manual wasn't very good to begin with, but it was written for GB and when I finally figured it out I stopped reading.
4. Anyone have a good app for AC?

Thanks for all your help. I might have to modify my expectations about keeping my personal info so close to the vest.

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
1. My backup pro needs to read and write for the backup and restore. it needs to read it to back it up, and it needs to write it during the restore. If you restore the calender entries, you are essentially altering the existing calender with the events you want restored.

2 For geo tagging photos (maps) the rest I am not sure of

3. go under setting, language and input...you should find the settings you need in there. I am a bit rusty on that one so someone correct me if I am wrong

4. There is an AC app in the market, but most people use tapatalk or forum runner. Tapatalk is the favorite though I believe

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Now I can type without tactile craziness! thank you. The reading and writing to do the copying makes sense to ensure correctness. I hadn't thought of it like that. I'm not sure how i feel about sending emails and invitations without my knowledge. How did you decide these things are mostly harmless? are there settings I'm missing? Is there an Android for Dummies I should read? I feel behind when I read questions and answers and don't completely understand them. I keep plugging along and occasionally have an aha moment. Tell your wife you're a terrific resource for noobs like me.

Editted portion of my program. When I did the factory reset, I think I saved a bunch of stuff from the phone to the wrong SD card. I saved everything i could click to my pc so I should be able to find it. Right?

Last edited:

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
There is a primer around here somewhere that tells you what all the permissions are for and what they do. I have never had any app send things out on my behalf without asking. Reputable apps from a reputable source will not do that.

I am not sure what you mean by the last part. Nothing should be gone with the backup. Either it is on the sdcard or the internal memory under reware

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
2. Does anyone understand why Google maps needs to use my camera and mic without my knowledge? Or "manage the accounts list" and "directly call phone numbers
Allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention." ?

You can "search" from within Google maps and find nearby businesses... you can then call the businesses by touching the phone number displayed on the screen. Google maps can "make" the call without you needing to open the phone dialer and enter the number --> this is known as "allows the app to call phone numbers without your intervention"

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol