Can't import Gmail contacts via VCF file

RuLEoF2

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
I can export to Gmail contacts to SD but then can't import them back from SD.

My goal is to consolidate all of my contacts to my phone so that nothing is stored in my Gmail account. The reason for this is that I use MyBackup Pro (which I paid for) and it backs up both phone and Gmail contacts. Great, but the problem is that when you restore after a wipe or something, it adds the backed-up contacts to the existing Gmail contacts online as duplicates every time I restore, which also creates duplicate in my address book. The best way to prevent this is to keep everything on the phone (backed up of coarse) and nothing in Gmail, which I don't use anyway.

I've done some searching and the best way I've found is to export all Gmail contacts to SDcard, delete all and then import them back to "phone". However, when I try to import them back, I get the the following error message: "Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (Reached end of buffer.)". I've tried with several exported VCFs and I always get this message, EXCEPT for phone contacts export/imports. I can export phone contacts and import them back just fine. It's only the Gmail contacts that I'm having this problem.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I can export to Gmail contacts to SD but then can't import them back from SD.

My goal is to consolidate all of my contacts to my phone so that nothing is stored in my Gmail account. The reason for this is that I use MyBackup Pro (which I paid for) and it backs up both phone and Gmail contacts. Great, but the problem is that when you restore after a wipe or something, it adds the backed-up contacts to the existing Gmail contacts online as duplicates every time I restore, which also creates duplicate in my address book. The best way to prevent this is to keep everything on the phone (backed up of coarse) and nothing in Gmail, which I don't use anyway.

I've done some searching and the best way I've found is to export all Gmail contacts to SDcard, delete all and then import them back to "phone". However, when I try to import them back, I get the the following error message: "Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (Reached end of buffer.)". I've tried with several exported VCFs and I always get this message, EXCEPT for phone contacts export/imports. I can export phone contacts and import them back just fine. It's only the Gmail contacts that I'm having this problem.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks.
Your doing it the hard way... open People, select Menu then Move Contacts, select the source account (Phone, Exchange, Yahoo, SIM, etc), then select what account to move them too (Google), and then select the contacts and move.

nhpeterm

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, and I appreciate acejavelin's suggestion, but it doesn't address the error. In my case, I exported my phone (not google) contacts to a .vcf, did a hard reset, then tried to import them back. I received the same error: Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (Reached end of buffer)

Any other suggestions for dealing with this?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem, and I appreciate acejavelin's suggestion, but it doesn't address the error. In my case, I exported my phone (not google) contacts to a .vcf, did a hard reset, then tried to import them back. I received the same error: Failed to parse vCard for unexpected reason (Reached end of buffer)

Any other suggestions for dealing with this?
Are you trying to import them back into the phone or into Gmail contacts via the web? I have never done a vcf export/import into the phone as I always use Google to store my contacts...

If you are getting an "Reached end of buffer error" the file is not in the correct format for import or is corrupt. I know it sounds stupid since you exported it from the same phone, but this is a common android issue, google it and you will see many people have had this issue... Have you tried importing them directly into Google contacts via the website?