Cracked Screen Need Opinions...

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Ok so it finally happened. Dropped rezound on tile and made a massive crack through the middle. It is still usable, just ugly. So here are my options.

1. I have wasted money on insurance, so i can pay $99 and get another rezound.

2. I could try and replace the screen. Not sure about the cost and risk on this one. Anyone that has done it feel free to chime in with your experience.

3. Buy something used. Probably a gnex just have have something different to flash stuff on. Even if the radios suck.

4. Use an upgrade. Not good for several reasons i will not bore you with, but an option.

So what are the good ppl's opinions on these?

Second Question:
If i go with 4, what would you recommend? I was playing with my sister's maxx hd and it seems really nice. The gs3 and note2 are options. I like the gs3 for the dev community and features, but not the design or fact that it is samsung. The note2 has great hardware, but is huge and dont like touchwiz that much. The DNA is awesome, but limited storage concerns me along with the fact that it is kind of big. HTC 8x is really sweet, but the windows phone thing i am not too sure about.

IF there was some hard info on the new htc phone, i would just wait for it, but the wait is undetermined and it is not even sure if it is coming to verizon. But the specs...

So opinions on new phones as well i guess lol

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Sorry to hear the news.

Personally, the only Verizon phone I would upgrade to is the Note 2. Sounds like you don't care for Sammy. Since it also sounds like you really don't want to use an upgrade (don't blame ya), I would go with option 1. Option 2 is a risk I personally would not take, but if you're game, it might be fun to get a used toy to play with til something you REALLY like drops. Then, use the upgrade.

Just my 2 pennies worth.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

mike7728

Jun 25, 2012
Visit site
i would go with option 1,wouldn't waste a early upgrade just yet

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

jvolstad

May 17, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget, if you go with an upgrade, you lose your unlimited data. That's assuming you were grandfathered into the old plan.

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
I would get a gnex used. There actually isn't much risk there because of you don't like it you can re-sell it for what you paid. I had a gnex but I swapped with my wife who had the rezound but couldn't deal with the terrible battery life. The gnex doesn't get as good of a signal as the rezound but it isn't as bad as some make it sound. The gnex is more smooth and overall I enjoyed it a little more than the rezound I have now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Where do you folks feel safest when buying used phones for Verizon? eBay? craigslist?

I may have to give my upgrade to a family member on my plan, but I'd like to have some Jelly Bean -- maybe a used GNEX or S3 would satisfy my thirst for a while.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I would get a gnex used. There actually isn't much risk there because of you don't like it you can re-sell it for what you paid. I had a gnex but I swapped with my wife who had the rezound but couldn't deal with the terrible battery life. The gnex doesn't get as good of a signal as the rezound but it isn't as bad as some make it sound. The gnex is more smooth and overall I enjoyed it a little more than the rezound I have now.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

This is actually what I am leaning towards at the moment. It would mean old hardware, but current android updates for the next year and lots of development. I could get one for not much more than $200 on swappa

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
I was in a similar situation recently... I went option #1, got a bad "refurb" from Asurion (I knew it was a coin toss, proximity sensor bad), then called and complained, although politely and professionally, that I wanted a replacement, preferably a NEW one and low and behold the next day I had a brand new, sealed in the box Rezound with all stock accessories including the iBeats headphones. Couldn't be happier!!!

As far as replacement glass goes, check your local classifieds... in my area which isn't so large (about 60k-70k people) there are three local shops that do glass replacement for $60-$100 depending on model, and guarantee their work for a year. Not saying you will find that but it might be worth checking out, personally I have heard too many horror stories about individuals trying to replace the screen and having issues afterwards, I wouldn't try it myself.

A used model might be the way to go, especially if you anticipate getting something new in the next 6 months... check Swappa, Craigslist, or your local classifieds for something reasonable... Personally, if I had to spend much over $200 I would just get it repaired, of course of you don't mind stepping down a little, there are often nice older Android phones for around $100-$140, definitely not a Rezound but for under $140 an Incredible 2, Droid X2, Droid 3, Fascinate, or something like that might get you by until what you want comes out.

As far as new phones go, the Note 2 is amazing, but when I played with it in the store I thought it was a tad too large... The DNA is really nice but like you the storage thing is troublesome especially since I already use about 20GB's of a 32GB card just for music. The GS3 is actually a nice phone, but we have had to get replacements for almost everyone at work once, but that seems to have settled down and they are fairly stable now. The new Razr Maxx series is really nice, we have a couple in our office, like most Moto's they are near flawless and have no issues. Avoid the 8X (and all Windows-based phones) at all costs, we had a couple people try them and everyone got returned for an Android phone! Although I do have two friends that have them, and they love them, but both are extremely non-techy people and don't use apps at all!

Personally, if I was up for a new phone, I would wait a few months and see what comes out, or until some of the newer phones drop in price.

My two cents worth, take it with a grain of salt...

mhans311

Jun 27, 2010
Visit site
Where do you folks feel safest when buying used phones for Verizon? eBay? craigslist?

I may have to give my upgrade to a family member on my plan, but I'd like to have some Jelly Bean -- maybe a used GNEX or S3 would satisfy my thirst for a while.

I've never really had problems buying off eBay but I usually stick with Craigslist. That way I can handle the phone and play with it to make sure it works right. I usually meet the seller at a verizon store so I can make sure it can be activated without a problem. I got my Rezound off Craigslist for $125 including an extra extended battery, the beats ear buds, and a couple of screen protectors. The gnex seems to go for about $150-200 on Craigslist here but it probably depends on where you live. I live in the Indianapolis area.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I've never really had problems buying off eBay but I usually stick with Craigslist. That way I can handle the phone and play with it to make sure it works right. I usually meet the seller at a verizon store so I can make sure it can be activated without a problem. I got my Rezound off Craigslist for $125 including an extra extended battery, the beats ear buds, and a couple of screen protectors. The gnex seems to go for about $150-200 on Craigslist here but it probably depends on where you live. I live in the Indianapolis area.

Meeting at a VZW store is a great idea ... thanks, mhans.

Does Verizon force a contract change when activating a used phone? I understand that Verizon shouldn't, but I wouldn't be surprised if they did try to take away unlimited data. :(

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No they didn't when I sold my vzw sgs3. Put it on Craigslist, met the girl at the store so she could check the condition and the esn in person, it is safer for both of us, and she added it in about 10 minutes. They just activated it on her account and gave her the sim.

It is the same as bringing your own phone.

I would check craigslist for something I like, if nothing grabs me then I would go to the insurance. You have paid into it for this long, might as well get something out of it. Not to mention the resale is going to be higher when you do decide to upgrade.

I would not do an early upgrade now, too many good things coming up to get tied into something even a month old at this point. I only use upgrades on the biggest and baddest.

Sent from the nexus of the Android world, the SGS3.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

I would feel safest buying a CPO directly from Verizon, which comes with a one year warranty and a14 day return period. Pricing and selection varies, but the gs3 is $420.

Buying used,one thing to keep in mind that the warranty is only good for the original purchaser. Say you bought a phone on cl, next day it dies. You now have an expensive brick with no warranty. If you bought on eBay, you can buy a warranty through square trade or whatever. There is usually a waiting period for claims on eBay bought phones, maybe 45 days?

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
The only reason Verizon would force a contract on a used phone is if it doesn't meet the terms of your contract anymore... for example, you got a 4G phone under the "4G Double Data" program, where you got 4GB/month for the price of 2GB/month and then you activated a 3G phone, then you would have to change your plan.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Well as if right now(which is subject to change), I am living with the huge cracks and hoping something awesome comes out in a couple of months. The htc M7 would be the most awesome thing that could happen, but I am not holding my breath. It seems like nothing come out in the spring.

If I change my mind, I will probably just get the issuance replacement unless someone wants to give me a gnex for 100$

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samyblaze