Outlook.com app and its calendar

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Between this thread that you just commented on and this below thread
http://forums.androidcentral.com/ve...ded-syncing-outlook-question-please-help.html
will contain any answers I might have for you.

I don't know if Outlook 2010 syncs directly with Android. Office 365 syncs to Android by setting up Exchange Active Sync account using your microsoft address you use to log into 365. I really can't help you with Office 2010 because I don't have experience with that version and syncing. Also, you need the outlook.com Android app for your contacts to sync with Office 365 though I have not found this method to sync all contacts, but it does sync all calendar events.

CatB likes using My Phone Explorer

JourneyMan2003

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
I just happen to stumble across this thread and have been reading about everyone's sync issues so I will jump in and contribute my experiences.
I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 2 running Jelly Bean. I am having no problems with 2 way syncing.
My work account is Outlook/Exchange 2010 and it syncs calendar, tasks, and contacts to my phones default calendar & contact app just fine and without issues.
My personal account is Hotmail/Outlook.com and it also syncs calendar and contacts to my phone just fine.
I am using Exchange ActiveSync to do the syncing for both accounts.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
For some unknown reason, not all my outlook contacts will sync to my phone. I have made a number of test contacts and more than half won't sync. Not sure what the issue is and getting through to the right person at Microsoft is a task in itself. I still rely on Google for my contacts. My calendar syncs fine and like you I am using an exchange active sync account (Hotmail).

cc1000

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I just stumbled across this thread as well. I'm getting a new computer soon, so I'll probably be getting the 365 soon too, but for now I'm trying to sync outlook.com with an icecream sandwich phone. I just got the EVO ONE v and it's got icecream sandwich, I wonder if that's the problem? I don't even see the calendar option on the outlook app...:'(

RJH11

May 2, 2013
Visit site
Hi Jman,

I have been following this thread and the great comments by skatergirl and I see that Using Exchange ActiveSync should work but I cannot get it to work for calendars. My wife and I both just got the Samsung Galaxy S4. We have the following:
MS365
Outlook 2010

We have setup the phones with ActiveSync and all syncing works Except calandar entries from the phone back to Outlook 2010 (or MS365 outlook.com).

I have tried every server name recommended by the forum and nothing changes. I get all my emails to the phone and contacts, ActiveSync works just fine except for calendar entries. I go up to MS365 and check the phone settings there, it sees my phone just fine. If I enter in a calendar event there or in Outlook2010, it will sync to my phone. But any calendar changes on phone does not sync back up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-----------------------------------------------
Update: Crap: Using wrong calendar on phone instead of the exchange calendar......

Last edited:

Alan Stinchcombe

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Janet

I suspect the main reason why many Android users appear to experience one-way syncs with Outlook.com may be the same reason that I did - I simply hadn't noticed that the Android Calendar app created new events in the Google Calendar by default. No wonder they weren't showing up in Outlook.com!

Thanks for all your helpful posts about the creation of an ActiveSync account. These will be very useful if I eventually install Office 365. :)

MJLeoneSr

May 20, 2013
Visit site
This has been driving me crazy for more than a month. I'd appreciate some help to figure out exactly how to set up the EAS account on my android phone. I do not have an Exchange account, just an outlook.com account. Some stuff synchs and some doesn't. It's crazy!
Thanks

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
The outlook account is an exchange account. Just set it up in new accounts and select exchange. Put in your outlook address and password and it should be set up.

I have yet to figure out why all my contacts from outlook won't sync to my phone using the outlook.com app. It is frustrating so I basically still depend on gmail for my contacts. I use outlook though for my calendar.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
It is frustrating so I basically still depend on gmail for my contacts. I use outlook though for my calendar.

What does Outlook's calendar have that Google's calendar doesn't? There must be a really good reason why you're not using the Goog for both. :)

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
What does Outlook's calendar have that Google's calendar doesn't? There must be a really good reason why you're not using the Goog for both. :)

There are many good reasons not to use Google calendars. For me the first reason is that Google's business model is to mine data and sell it, and I just don't trust them with all my personal data. You can say anything you want about Google but I just don't trust them.

On the more practical side I have years of data in Outlook because the companies I have worked for the past 15+ years have all been Outlook-centric. Outlooks has features like Categories that I find are extremely useful but Google doesn't support. I got around this on my iPhone but iOS made separate contact files and separate calendars for each Outlook category (I currently have about 25 different categories in Outlook). I don't want 25 different calendars on my phone. Outlook manages to handle this with 1 calendar and 1 contacts database.

I could go on about the advantages of Outlook over Google but suffice it to say I have long been a Microsoft hater but until something better comes along I will continue to use Outlook. And nothing from Google has come close to beating Outlook (and that's sad).

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

I have always liked the Outlook calendar better than the Google calendar and the Google calendar changes times when you go into a different time zone.

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Janet,

Thank you very much for your input in this (and the other related) thread. Following your instructions I was able to get my new Samsung S4 to sync with my desktop Outlook 2010 via Outlook.com. One thing that I can't figure out yet is categories. They come through via Outlook.com but I can't seem to find a way to color code the categories as I can with Outlook. Have you found a way to do this?

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Janet,

Thank you very much for your input in this (and the other related) thread. Following your instructions I was able to get my new Samsung S4 to sync with my desktop Outlook 2010 via Outlook.com. One thing that I can't figure out yet is categories. They come through via Outlook.com but I can't seem to find a way to color code the categories as I can with Outlook. Have you found a way to do this?

Can't help you with categories because I never use them. But how do you like that S4?

Ufd108

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Can't help you with categories because I never use them. But how do you like that S4?

So far I love it, but it's only been a week. Came from an iPhone 4 (not 4s) and the speed improvement is significant, and the difference in screen size is incredible. I picked up my iPhone yesterday to go through my apps to be sure I found equivalents before I sell the phone and I couldn't get over how small the iPhone seemed after a week with the S4.

Robin Vernon

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
Hi Janet
What do you mean it is right with the rest of the calendars? I cannot find the calendar of the Outlook app for the life of me?

I found it ... UGH!! It is right with the rest of the calendars.

Now, if I can get the Outlook connector to actually sync my Outlook calendar into outlook.com, then I won't have to worry about using three calendars (one Outlook and two Google) anymore. I will know more later when I get back to my PC.

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi Janet
What do you mean it is right with the rest of the calendars? I cannot find the calendar of the Outlook app for the life of me?

Robin, go to your calendar app look at the top where it says Multi-Calendar. Tap on that and you will see all your calendars. You will not find an "Outlook" calendar. What you will find is your Exchange calendar. Check mark your exchange calendar and it will show up in your calendar.

Doug Hindle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,

All the infor on configuration does not help since we are already configured. The problem is the calendar sync's once at configuration time but never will sync again. It's probably an issue with the Galaxy S3 OS.Email sync works calendar only on first configuration. We probably should be looking to Samsung for an update!

Doug

Doug Hindle

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
There really is no Outlook app. It makes the link to the Droid default calendar and email program. I just loaded the Droid calendar and I'm able to select the calendars I can display.

I have additional information. If you manually sync the calendar it updates the entries to and from the server. My Samsung does not offer the button to select what items will be automatically synched that I've read about in different blogs. I'm off to the Samsung site to enter a bug report.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
guylenn49