"Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped" loop

rufina binoy

Apr 22, 2017
Visit site
I went through the exact same situation. Referred to this loop and clearing cache is the answer. Go to Settings - apps - sense home - clear data and cache. This should put things back in place on your htc handset, atleast worked on mine. Thank you for the help everyone.

Coahoma Bob

Jun 22, 2017
Visit site
These suggestions assume that you can perform anything other than "OK" for the looping offender. -.- screen responds to NOTHING except "OK", the "Unfortunately youtube has.." returns immediately.
much obliged for suggestions
[XGODY V11 tablet. non removable battery, "reset" button has no effect.]

gocachin

Jul 24, 2017
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I tried every thing here. I did get in to safe mode. I deleted a lot of apps & was thinking I mite have to factory reset. Then as I was going though the apps, I saw HTC Sense input. So I went in a cleared the cache & cleared the Data too. No more error. Did any one try that? Mite work for you I hope.

I just had this problem this morning. Clearing the cache and data in the HTC Sense Home app solved it - Thanks!

Had to rebuild my home screens with app shortcuts, but that made me clear out a lot of clutter anyway.

Axxonn13

Aug 3, 2017
Visit site
I know this is a little late in the game, but i created an account here just so i can put in my 2 cents for this issue, as it has caused me grief. Skip to the end if you want my solution (last 2 paragraphs), but I'm telling my experience, so maybe people in the future can relate my issue with theirs and perhaps use the same solution as i did, without trial and error.

i have an HTC One M8, and like many people on here, i was just using my phone and it was at 18% battery, then all of a sudden it died. When i put it to charge, the screen said 1%, so i waited until it was 100% before turning it back on (i left it charging overnight).

when i woke up and turned my phone back on, it booted as it normally does. when i unlocked the screen, the infamous error appeared, "HTC Sense Home does not seem to be responding". i pressed okay too many times to count, and tried almost every suggestion here, but to no avail.

i couldn't get safe mode to work, i refused to factory reset my phone, clearing the partition didn't work, and i couldn't find HTC sense home to force stop it (only HTC sense input, but force stopping that did nothing).

Finally i saw (on here) where people were still able to access their phone's menus, they just had to press "OK" on the error prompt, and quickly navigate through their menus. In my case, there was no navigating, and i couldn't access the status bar by swiping down. so, i ended up pressing okay, then quickly press and hold the home button, until the google app opened. my keyboard would pop up, so i had to voice command my phone (through the google app) to open the google play store.

it opened it up. i went to "my apps and games" area. HTC sense home did not show up on that list (all my other HTC apps did). i manually searched (my keyboard now popped up) HTC sense home, and there it was. i updated that app (tried 4 times, as it kept giving me the error "could not update"), and once it finally did, my home screen was available. i did not need to restart my phone.

hope this has helped at least one person out there, it can be frustrating to not know what category you fall in for certain solutions, so hopefully this detailed explanation was worth typing out (and in your case reading). Thanks!

volodaaaa

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
Hello, my Rezound ran out of battery earlier today at work and turned off, so when I got home, I plugged it into my charger and turned it on a few minutes later (i.e. once it had about 10% charge or so). When it loaded, I unlocked my phone, and it attempted to load my home screen, but an error window showed "Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped." When I clicked OK, my phone just repeated the same thing with the same result.

Now, my phone is stuck in this loop, and I cannot access my home screen. I tried 1) restarting my phone and 2) turning it off/removing the battery/turning it on again, but the problem persists. Does anybody have any suggestions for this problem? Thank you!

I bought HTC One M8 with my mobile operator plan. After it had ended I decided to keep this mobile phone as it was fully reliable and simple to use. I did not see a reason to switch to other brand.

Now I regret everything, because this HTC phone is useless piece of... brick. Perhaps a year ago the mobile phone started to do strange things, some icons of my favorite apps disappeared, some I had never installed appeared, some apps I had blocked went unblocked, my ringtone has changed several times without my permission and the very icing on the cake was a message I received yesterday "Unfortunately HTC Sense has stopped". What a piece of brick - this mobile is self-destructible without my interaction.

Okay, I followed the advice here from this forum and cleaned the cache. Guess what happened? This piece of brick went to factory settings without me admitting! Now I have different ringtone, different interface, lost most of contacts, lost all login information from all webpages I have ever visited.

I will never buy anything from HTC. NEVER.

SB Music

Sep 4, 2017
Visit site
How to fix most issues with basic apps crashing. Such as your Phone app, Camera, Calendar, Contacts ext. With phone turned on remove the sims card. Then re enter sims card. Your android will acknowledge the sims car was removed and when you enter the sims card again. You will be prompted to reboot phone after put your sims card back in. Select restart or reboot phone. When phone reboots. Most if not all the basic apps the crashed upon opening are now able to be accessed again.

Hopefully this helps all who are have the most common and basic issues with these apps.

Chris Zumsum

Nov 20, 2017
Visit site
Just putting my two pence in as I had the same problem on my HTC One M8 and found it hard to figure out some of the replies. I tried lots of things - soft restarts, disabling apps etc. Initially the problem was how to even get to the Apps screen. Finally found you could do this by dragging your finger down from the top of the screen to the bottom and then clicking the settings icon (near the top right corner - looks like a cog). From settings you can access 'Apps'.

I tried all sorts of things - deleting apps, disabling apps etc and nothing worked. I think the thing that finally worked was going to Apps, clicking on 'Sense Home', clicking 'Storage' then doing 'Clear Data' and 'Clear Cache'. At last the 'Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped' message has disappeared - so it might be down to the cache being full. Sometimes clearing the Firefox cache resolves issues on my PC, so I guess it might be something similar. Might be worth trying 'Clear Cache' before 'Clear Data' as I'm not sure what you're getting rid of with 'Clear Data'. But I still have all my phone numbers and pics, so it seems ok. I did lose some of the icons on my screen - might be down to deleting or disabling apps previously, or maybe 'Clear Data' did that, but it is nice to have my trusty HTC One M8 working again!

SkysOnlineIssues

Nov 30, 2017
Visit site
Hey there, Skye here. I usually don't post on these but I feel that since these issues are never resolved id say how I resolved it on my HTC Desire (i don't know which one). For me, I had reset my phone since I couldn't open Youtube or iFunny (yes I'm trash) and when I did, my service turned off (And I got the com.android.phone and HtcDM and stopped messages to the point I couldn't unlock my phone) which gave me an instant red flag because I need my service since I'll be leaving on a trip. Freaking out I came onto multiple forums but yet couldn't find a solution so I decided to screw around with the menu you get when you hold don't the POWER button and the VOLUME DOWN button, which is a white screen with 4 options, and at first I clicked "reboot", did nothing, but then I clicked the "Reboot into recovery mode" option and once it started up, it actually resolved itself. My phone has been having bad issues lately, so I wouldn't rely on this too much, but if it helps, it helps. From what I see, you can also wipe cache partition, which I'll leave a link to how to do that. Good luck people who have this issue!

https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-28594

Glen Host

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
FIXED!!!! My battery went flat, on restarting it decided to update 50 apps on 1% battery so completely died.
After charging and booting up the phone I hit this loop. Due to Sense Home being half installed I'd guess.

HOW TO SORT..OK the message at the same time try and get off the home screen by either swiping down the screen to access the settings menu or hit the recently used apps button, it may take a few attempts to get the timing right.

If that worked go to your app's section in settings and force close on Sense Home. You may still get the notification, just OK it and it should go.

Next make sure Wi-Fi or mobile data are switched on ( Mine were both off)
Go to Google play and search for Sense, at this point I had the option to update it which I did + the other 49 app's and it's all good with no reset necessary.

Hope it works out for ya!

Tiff0117

Jan 5, 2018
Visit site
Thanks - for some reason the Volume Down + Power didn't work for me, but Volume Up + Power did. Anyway, I cleared my cache partition and rebooted to no avail. I really have no idea what could have suddenly brought this on... are there any alternatives/suggestions besides doing a factory reset?

The same thing has happened to my Android also.....(a couple of times)The only thing that helped me was going on YouTube and putting in a detailed search for my "unfortunately sense home has stopped" issue. I scrolled down a little until I found a video that looked to be closest to my problem. I watched the video (a few times actually) and followed this guy's somewhat simple directions and voila.....it worked. Just be sure you back up and back up again lol (just to be sure). Anyway I hope I could be of help cuz that whole issue was no fun. The first time it happened to me a couple of weeks ago I was able to get into my settings and press back up and reset but yesterday when it happened it wasn't so simple.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amanda Gale

Jan 13, 2018
Visit site
I was having the same problem. I tried every thing here. I did get in to safe mode. I deleted a lot of apps & was thinking I mite have to factory reset. Then as I was going though the apps, I saw HTC Sense input. So I went in a cleared the cache & cleared the Data too. No more error. Did any one try that? Mite work for you I hope.

This worked for me. I just wanted to say thank you!

viker d

Mar 23, 2018
Visit site
Re: "Unfortunately, HTC Sense has stopped

This is late for you all, but perhaps this will be of further help to others that come across this issue. the info i provide is limited, because someone else did it for me and did not explain the entire procedure. but. Home Sense is an APP. if you can get to the app portion of your setting and find it, and click Clear Cache and Force stop it will remove the issue. it did for me at least. i know its not helpful but its the best i can do. good luck.

That's most helpful one to me. It fixed my problem after struggling 2 hours during midnight.
Worth mention 2 more points
1. no need to go to safe mode. You can still access "system settings/Apps" by sliding from top of screen
2. Suggest others to try "Clear cache" only. I mistakenly picked "Clear data", then I spent 1 more hour to restore other apps settings

As a sw engineer, I think this "home sense" feature is quite lousy. It lacks fundamental test.

discokiid

Apr 23, 2018
Visit site
Hello...... I have tried everything on the forums..... tried to clear "cache" & "data" in both the settings app and the input up.

I have factory restored the phone too and nothing seems to be working.

Please Help before my phone goes in the toilet

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site