WiFi/Data connection

kpres

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I thought you could still receive data(internet) when connected to WiFi after switching from 4G. Is there a setting I need to check ?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
So, you were on 4G and switched to WiFi and lost data connectivity? I'm not sure I understand your question/problem properly hehe But if that's the case, have you checked your WiFi settings? To your phone this should be 'transparent'; just get on your WiFi network and switch data from mobile to WiFi, no special settings required...

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Yes. I was on 4G, switched to WiFi, and lost data connection.
Either I am misunderstanding the issue here, or you have a WiFi problem, not likely a phone issue...

Can other things like laptops use the same network? Is this a "coffee shop" or other free internet that might require you to open a web page and login or agree to terms of service? Did you try going to your WiFi networks and long press the network and select "Forget" then reconnect to it like a new network?

kpres

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Either I am misunderstanding the issue here, or you have a WiFi problem, not likely a phone issue...

Can other things like laptops use the same network? Is this a "coffee shop" or other free internet that might require you to open a web page and login or agree to terms of service? Did you try going to your WiFi networks and long press the network and select "Forget" then reconnect to it like a new network?
I was at a grocery store this morning that has free WiFi, unsecure of course, and you're not required to log in at a website. It worked fine. I then went to a public library and they too have the same thing, unsecure with no log in to a website required. I connected to the WiFi but had no internet connectivity. When I disconnected from WiFi and back to 4G I had internet again.

Steve Marshall1

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
This is the exact same problem I am having, but only at home. Spent an hour on the phone with Verizon support and they were puzzled, too. If I am connected to my home wireless network, the 4G symbol is still there, next to the wifi symbol, but I have no internet connectivity; no email, etc. If I shut off that wifi network, everything comes back. I have to press and hold that network and set it to "Forget" to keep it from reconnecting and still allow me top connect to other wifi networks.
I have seen this issue with other users on other forums; some have kicked it up to Samsung, which acknowledges the problem, and saying they are working on a fix for it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm... odd... I would have to go back to some app is conflicting with this, I bounce between half-dozen different WiFi networks a day on two sets. I am a IT tech and deal with networks all the time and I never have to do anything but let my Rezounds connect and go. In my network "lab" we have several WiFi networks on different hardware running with varying encryption and type all the time and my Rez switches between them flawlessly. I have used them flawlessly with Meraki, Ruckus, Cisco, HP Procurve, Netgear, Linksys, Sonicwall, EnGenius, D-Link, and a host of other APs and wireless routers with no issues what so ever switching between them and back and forth to 4G with either of my phones, one of them is bone stock, has most non-essential apps disables, and less than 10 apps installed for work from the Play Store, the other is my personal Rez (currently stock and rooted) with a ton of assorted junk installed.

My first suggest would be to make sure you are on the latest software, 4.5.605.14, and if that is correct you should factory default your device, especially if you haven't done it over the last couple updates to the Rez. HTC typically has some of the best implementation in radios, both Mobile Network and WiFi, the issues you state above are not normal.

If you do have a WiFi issue with your HOME router, it is most likely a configuration issue or your router manufacturer has done something non-standard in their implementation. I would default the router, change the mode to disable 802.11b (so G-Only, G/N-Only, or G/N/AC only) and WPA2 Auto with a reasonable mixed case&type key of 8-12 characters, and a SSID that is under 12 characters and does not contain special characters or spaces and all should be well on newer routers. If you are using a 802.11b router only, get a new one. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12