Motorola officially joins the ranks of seller-of-soul to Verizon

skatergirl

Retired Moderator
Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
I guess Motorola had to do something to earn its splashy three-phone debut. It cut out the SD card in its new Droid Maxx, which has a gigantic battery.

Not even an all-day battery will get me to give up my SD card. I am sure this condition was set by Verizon to force customers to pay for its cloud storage service.

The silver lining for me is that I don't like Motorola anyway and this way I won't be tempted to spend $300 on one of its phones.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
This has nothing to do with Verizon, I am pretty sure for some time it has been Google that has been against SD Card storage because it is "too confusing for most consumers" and had little to do with Motorola caving to anyone except their owners... Who the heck uses Verizon's services (ie. apps) anyway? Google has everything and it's free. Search around... Google has been trying to kill the SD Card in Android since mid-2011 when the original Nexus specs started leaking out.

BTW, I am not saying I agree in any way with them, just the opposite actually... just trying to point the finger where it should pointed.

I wouldn't be surprised if over the next few years, Google just removes support for SD Cards from the Android core, causing manufacturers to dump it completely or stay with an older version of Android to make it work, which would be a marketing disaster. So hopefully they will start coming with 64GB, 128GB or even larger internal memories. Remember if technology continues as it has in the past, the power of your cell phone will be about the same as your laptop in 5 years. I would love to have a 8192x4320 resolution 5.5" screen and a 16GB of RAM video controller with an 8-core 4GHz processor, 64GB RAM, 4TB of internal storage that read and write at 128GB/sec, and has globally available unlimited 100GB/sec data, voice, text, and video messaging for $30/month and a battery that only needed 8 hours of charge monthly... ahh... now I am rambling but that would be heaven! (or at least part of it!)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The biggest issue I have with no microSD is not the fact that you cannot expand memory, but that the internal memory is so low. For example, you can get the S4 32gb and put in a 64gb card, that gives you 96gb. Whereas the highest high end Droid Maxx only has 32gb internal. In essence, the S4 can have 300% the capacity of the Maxx.

Now, if the Maxx were to come with at least 64gb internal, then that would be much more reasonable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol