speech to text erases as it goes!! What ta h3ll?

The Patman

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I use the "voice to text" feature often. I rely on it for text messaging on the android phone (htc rezound) especially in the car and as I dont type that fast or accurately!!
A few days ago it started erasing the previously converted words as I spoke new words.
For instance, I would (in a text message) say "I'm on my way home (comma) I'll be there in an hour (period)
But... What would come out would be: "i'm on my way home"...then it would erase that, and insert "I'll be home in an..." dropping the last word. I would look at it, astounded and say"hour" and it would erase "I'll be home in a " and just put in the word "hour"!

In the past, this feature worked very well. When I would say (period) it would erase the last word spoken, and insert the last word with the period attached.
But it's never erased whole lines of text, replace them, then erase that and do it again!

I tried turning phone off and on, I tried pulling battery, I tried deleting cache in all voice apps, nothing worked to fix this problem. So I disabled the voice search app, restarted the phone and then went to google play store to turn it back on.

But...when I get there it says "disabled" of course, and gives the the option to re enable it. And as soon as I do i get a message..."Unfortunately play store has stopped". And now I have no voice search at all. So I go to verizon, they have no clue. They did a factory data reset...it worked for one try...while in the store, by the time I got to the car it was deleting words as I spoke.

What happened to cause all of this? is this an account issue? Server issue? is it even possible for the "phone" to do it on it's own? I thought this was a server thing. Is there a setting? has anyone seen this?

Like I said I've used this feature 50 times a day for years, and only in the last two days has it gone haywire.

P Hall in Texas, android, HTC rezound, android version 4.0.3

JimGWeb

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Ditto on this maddening problem, about 4 days now. Pattern seems to be 1-when I pause at the end of a thought 2- when I say punctuation (comma, period.) Deletes previous sentence, word string.

Verizon stores say "wait for an automatic OS update", not a good answer but probably the only one for now.

Probably not related, but in the middle of google maps OR verizon mapped directions, the apps just stop and ooops I missed my turn.

RevoDave

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
Ditto. My LG Lucid (Verizon) started erasing text about two weeks ago. Very frustrating as I had come to really count on the voice to text feature. As others have cited, its during a pause in thought, spoken punctuation, etc. Hope the planets re-align, phone karma comes back around, or whatever it takes to restore this feature.

LeahStorm

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine started doing it about a week ago. Also, it started *****ing out my swear words again, even though i turned off the censor. It must have been an update.
So i search the forums, see it's happening to people all over and with all kinds of phones. Call verizon and they tell me to wipe my phone and do a reset.
No thanks, it's not my phone, its your stupid update, so fix it.
And PS, don't make me feel like i'm the only one this is happening to.
By the way, I'm in Tucson, AZ and have an HTC rezound.

:mad:VERIZON: FIX THE SPEECH TO TEXT FEATURE!

achayhuevos

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
(Had to redo my nickname :-! )
The fact that it's happening across carriers is telling. My verizon store hadn't even heard of the problem and they initially acted like I was an ***** (really? I can't even say 1d1ot? Javla Fan) until they tried to use it and then fix it (changing settings, installing the Verizon messaging app,etc). Clearly a bigger issue than they thought. I wonder how many people need to complain until it reaches cortex with Android/Google

Last edited:

CarolinaMiami

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
I have the Galaxy S2 through ATT. Same problem: text gets erased as I am dictating and punctuation insertion works sometimes. This feature worked wonderfully until about a week ago. I hope some Samsung techs are monitoring these posts so this gets a global fix.
Carolina

rd2378

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Virgin Mobile HTC Evo 3D doing the same thing

Mine started doing it the same time as everyone else. Maddening when try to use the feature. Only way I can make it work is to basically not take a breath when speaking. Any small pause erases half my message. I've resorted to speaking one sentence, hitting DONE, then speaking the next sentence. Worked wonderfully until about 1 week ago. I don't even know to whom I should complain. I know if I call Virgin, they'll just take me through the steps of resetting my phone or something and I know that's not going to help. I keep waiting for an update!! :-|

DARK ARCHON

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
Re: Virgin Mobile HTC Evo 3D doing the same thing

Same thing as everyone else , started 2 weeks or so ago. if I pause & start to speak again erases everything that was said up to the pause point. I use chomp sms for my texts but tried the orig manf. default msg app it does exact same thing there. I hate typing on the KP my fingers r just too big.

EVO 3D - Sprint

wwoelt

Aug 31, 2013
Visit site
Re: Virgin Mobile HTC Evo 3D doing the same thing

Mine has done it for more than a month. Verizon said bad rezound, sent a new one and still the same thing. I'm told it's an android O/S problem. OK Google, where is the fix?????

Ken C1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Lol that's why I stopped going to VZW with phone problems. I started calling htc directly. Hopefully Google fixes this problem soon.

Posted via Android Central App

HiFiHead

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I had the same problem about the same time as everyone on my Rezound. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling handcent and swiftkey, no luck. I went ahead with a factory reset just because I was also getting a lot of lag, like 45 seconds to place a call or open my app drawer. All ok now including speech to text.