HTC screen repair cost?

dragonfly808

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
My Thunderbolt's screen shattered (I'll use my case from now on, I swear), but the phone still seems to be working. I have insurance, but Verizon will charge me $100 for a refurbished phone, which bothers me on principle. I contacted HTC and they said they can fix it but can't give me even a ballpark price until they see it. Does anybody have any idea how much it'll be? Even if it's a little more than $100 I'd rather keep my phone...

gvlakers

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
It might be best to search ebay for the screen and do the fix yourself. It might be super easy, but opening the case will void warranty and the insurance because you've "tampered with it". Should probably just eat the $100 and have a lesson learned.

dragonfly808

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem spending the $100, I just don't want to send it to HTC and they tell me it'll be $200+ to fix the screen. But $125, maybe even $150 would be better than a refurbished phone from Verizon.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the repair done (by a professional, I'm not messing with the screen myself) and knows the ballpark cost.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
hey friend replaced the screen on his blackberry said it was rather easy. like someone else suggested try shopping for a screen and do it yourself if the screen is reasonable

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I have no problem spending the $100, I just don't want to send it to HTC and they tell me it'll be $200+ to fix the screen. But $125, maybe even $150 would be better than a refurbished phone from Verizon.

I'm wondering if anyone has had the repair done (by a professional, I'm not messing with the screen myself) and knows the ballpark cost.

I've seen people who have done it themselves and also done some basic research on parts, and the new screen seems to go for at least $50, plus about $40 for the digitizer assuming that was destroyed as well (and with a completely shattered screen, that's pretty likely). So you're looking at $90 purely for parts.

Even if HTC charged half what repairs universe gets for parts and sold you the parts for $45, there's still a solid $50 in labor costs, plus shipping costs both ways, plus you'll be without your phone probably for a lot longer.

If you were smart enough to get the insurance, I think you're better off paying the $100 and getting the refurb.

DD917

Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
You have insurance, use it. I had to get a refurbished phone from Verizon because my first Thunderbolt just randomly started acting up and working work right. The refurb was better than the original I got. You will probably come out cheaper in the long run paying the $100 rather than paying whatever crazy price HTC may charge you.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You have insurance, use it. I had to get a refurbished phone from Verizon because my first Thunderbolt just randomly started acting up and working work right. The refurb was better than the original I got. You will probably come out cheaper in the long run paying the $100 rather than paying whatever crazy price HTC may charge you.
It is my understanding that insurance will give you a totally new phone, in the box, with all accessories, including the 32GB SD card and the battery and charger. The only thing you'll need to do is to remove your SIM from your old phone and insert it into your new phone. You could also change your SD card if you like.

-Frank

BigBoz

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
It is my understanding that insurance will give you a totally new phone, in the box, with all accessories, including the 32GB SD card and the battery and charger. The only thing you'll need to do is to remove your SIM from your old phone and insert it into your new phone. You could also change your SD card if you like.

-Frank

When I cracked my screen in July I thought they would send me a refurb but they didnt. It came in a brand new box never even opened or anything. And since they knew battery life was a big issue with the Thunderbolt they told me I can have the charger, data cable and battery. They mainly just wanted they phone and the back cover. I called on a monday afternoon and tuesday afternoon my phone was here.

mtjoy

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
I just recently replaced a cracked screen on my TB. I purchased a LCD Digitizer assembly from eBay for like $75. I think the cheapest I saw was around $65. You can buy just the digitizer for like $15, but to me it was a lot more complicated having to separate the digitizer and LCD and use the adhesive tape to put them back together again (You will see how they separate the 2 in the video below).

HTC Thunderbolt Take Apart Screen Repair Guide - Video

I hope this helps.

Reactions: ggrr8t

bulldogmoe7

Apr 29, 2010
Visit site
just call around to some cell phone repair places, its easier to get your answer there than to read post about nothing at all. my screen is cracked and i called a few to replace and got quotes about $100 to $140.
so your choice pay the $100 insurance to get a refurb phone? or spend $100 to get YOURS fixed?

Immolate

Nov 20, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered a digitizer from ebay for my son's Thunderbolt (cracked glass, LCD is still perfect) for something like $20. I watched the videos on YouTube so I'd understand what's involved and it seems to be within my skill set. The complexities are using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive and doing a quick solder on one ribbon cable. I'm no electronics guy, but it's not a tough solder.

bxrider117

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
My Tbolt took a dive while using the balance app to hang a flat screen TV. I used my insurance and to my surprise because I bought the Tbolt from someone and not from VZW when I activated it in the store the rep cancelled my insurance. That was May 2011. Opened my claim in September 2011 and had my insurance reinstated because I have had insurance since 2007. VZW sent me a phone instead of Asurrion. The Tbolt was brand new and came with an additional 32gb card and a clean box.

I would go the insurance route. Also after my Tbolt feel the volume rocker woul.d not work to turn up the volume. Best "C" note spent

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
There's no way a phone that was dropped hard enough to shatter the screen will be as good as a refurb phone. Even if they can replace the screen, there's likely other damage you're not seeing. I would never pass up the insurance in this situation.

CaddyDave

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
It should only be about 100 to fix ur screen at ur local. Cell phone repair shop. Make sure ur screen is actually broke, It might just be the clear cover that's only 25 to repair [AQUOTE=dragonfly808;1333791]My Thunderbolt's screen shattered (I'll use my case from now on, I swear), but the phone still seems to be working. I have insurance, but Verizon will charge me $100 for a refurbished phone, which bothers me on principle. I contacted HTC and they said they can fix it but can't give me even a ballpark price until they see it. Does anybody have any idea how much it'll be? Even if it's a little more than $100 I'd rather keep my phone...[/QUOTE]

cowboys2000

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
Exactly why do you think an Asurion Insurance claim will result in a refurb phone?

-Frank

Well,

I sent my EVO in for a claim (due to broken charging port) and I received a refurbished EVO. Read the insurance documents, they clearly say they may replace your deice with the same model, comparable and possible a refurbished phone.

Reactions: FrankXS

flexso

Oct 13, 2011
Visit site
Sent my Nexus One device to HTC.
They sent me a prepaid postage box, sent it in and only cost $50 to replace the digitizer.
They sent the Nexus One back to me in a nice new box, wrapped in a soft black cloth.
Awesome service

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andrewsmith