HTC needs to make a comeback. (LONG POST)

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Obviously this is my imo and by no means trying start a brand war debate at all. I actually like to just have sensible debate about HTC and more specifically what they need to do in making a "comeback".

I am not ensuing that HTC is making inferior products or that they are on the verge of downfall. I am just comparing HTC to their competition. HTC has strayed IMO and has stayed the same. There products are what I like to call the three S's: sturdy, simple, and safe. This is what makes HTC great in my opinion but is also what makes me wanting more unfortunately.

HTC started out great. They had G1 which was a solid and unique device. I was a proud owner of G1 as well became a big fan of Andriod. After G1 in two years HTC hit mark with Android with the Nexus 1, Incredible, and HTC EVO. This brought a rise to there competition in may ways and push android to what it is today. Samsung and Motorola were the two biggest rises in that competition in the android market.

Motorola with the Droid line up brought life back to the company. Those they seem keep riding on the the predecessors of past one simple fact remains is the progression in the devices in form of style,performance and function which makes them strong. I mean from Razr, Atrix, Bionic and Xyboard are evidences to the progression compared to the Xzoom, Droid, and Droid X. They show much promise for future with being owned by Google.

Samsung has the Galaxy and tab line up. Which I think are prime examples of evolving a product to perfection.(NOT SAYING SAMSUNG IS PERFECT OR BEST JUST THERE EVOLUTION IN PRODUCT SEEMS PERFECT) The original Galaxy S to the Galaxy S2 then the Nexus S to the Galaxy Nexus are great examples. Samsung tablets are showing the same great progression.

Samsung and Motorola progression is moving companies like LG, Sony and Asus. These compaies are starting to produce better products that are evolving. Where is HTC's evolution?

Don't get me wrong HTC has a solid line up across the board to fill every niche every manufacture as produce but there is not much originality or differentiation to each other. There tablet seems to be in line with the first generation of galaxy tabs. They tried to spin the stylus into new light which in my eyes they have yet see the fruits to their labor. I don't know how HTC tablets are doing but isn't that a bad sign in itself?

Spark of hope from HTC with the Rezound having Beats Audio and Rhyme are good simple ideas but should not be the for front of a phone imo. However rumors for MWC will be HTC's coming out party with powerful and no but me probably thinks but there chance regain there dominance in innovation. I can't but be little cynical in HTC coming out with a quadcore phone as it may be very well just be another EVO irritation with quadcore processor. I am not saying it won't be a Solid,Simple and Safe phone....you see what I am getting at here?

HTC needs to evolve there product I love two HTC devices I have had but not looking forward to another if sings stay same with HTC.

What are your thoughts and comments on where android devices are now and where htc fits in?

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
HTC can be the maker of safe, solid, reliable product, or they can go out and do bleeding-edge stuff. Really tough to do both, since the bleeding-edge stuff is going to tend to be less stable and give them a bad reputation for the people who are shopping for safe and reliable.

I like safe and reliable, so I think HTC is doing things right. When I shop for a phone, I'll skip a few features for that HTC logo on the box. If I wanted bonkers bleeding edge, I'll shop elsewhere, but I don't do that with my phones in general.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
To the OP, what exactly are you looking for in a smartphone? What do other phones have that HTC phones lack? If you were in charge of HTC, in what direction would you take the company? As far as I can tell, HTC phones have almost everything that every other smartphone on the market has. Let's take a look at their most recent Verizon offering as an example:

4G? Check. And all reports point to a very strong radio that has few, if any, issues with maintaining data connection and handoffs between 3G and 4G.

Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G and 4G? Check. As a matter of fact, the Rezound and Thunderbolt are the only Verizon smartphones that can do this.

HD Screen? Check. The Rezound has a higher ppi than any other phone in Verizon's lineup. Yep, even higher than the GN and Razr.

Fast Processor? Check. Once again the Rezound has a dual core 1.5 GhZ, which is faster than both the Galaxy Nexus and Droid Razr. Some might call that bleeding edge...

Memory? Check. 1 GB Internal DDR2 RAM, 16 GB memory, 16 GB microSD (upgradeable to 32 GB). The Nexus comes with 32 GB Internal Storage but no microSD slot, which leaves the Rezound with more Memory storage than the Nexus and equal to the Razr.

Beats Audio? Check. Gimmick or not, HTC is the only phone manufacturer that has it.

Quality Camera? Check. I can't vouch for the Rezound's battery but I've been very pleased with the Bolt's camera, and by all accounts and reviews, the Rezound's is better.

ICS? Nope. Not yet, but HTC has gone on record saying that the Rezound will get it. Then again, only the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus have gotten ICS, so it's not like HTC is falling behind the curve compared to other companies.

So, what are you looking for in a phone that other manufacturer's are offering? I'm not trying to just defend HTC with this post, but I am curious what they could do to appease/please you.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am not making argument on specs and my original post shows no signs of me making any such argument. If it does I apologies. However I did make general claim in my post that agrees for the most part in what you stated about HTC.

[
Don't get me wrong HTC has a solid line up across the board to fill every niche every manufacture as produce but there is not much originality or differentiation to each other. There tablet seems to be in line with the first generation of galaxy tabs. They tried to spin the stylus into new light which in my eyes they have yet see the fruits to their labor. I don't know how HTC tablets are doing but isn't that a bad sign in itself?

I like your last question those I don't I if last bit in that statement is snare against me because I might be coming off egotistical. I am not trying be thatt guy thinks about technology for me, me, me in this post. I simple like technology and see it move forward more than just with natural flow of competition. What I mean by that natural flow technology is company A has orange so company B, C, and D must follow suit as well.

I know HTC has met those standards and you listed many of them yourself. You also stated and we agree that HTC has a obvious formula to them. Every manufacture has there formula they follow to there product that how you get tradmarks and that indistinguishable industry standard.

Back to your question

So, what are you looking for in a phone that other manufacturer's are offering? I'm not trying to just defend HTC with this post, but I am curious what they could do to appease/please you.

What manufacturers' are offering is a new look to there formula. They are adding to there formula and showing change. HTC on other hand needs to add and refresh there safe,simple and sturdy formula in my opinion. The difference between HTC and other companies in same position is they chose to change.

HTC can be the maker of safe, solid, reliable product, or they can go out and do bleeding-edge stuff. Really tough to do both, since the bleeding-edge stuff is going to tend to be less stable and give them a bad reputation for the people who are shopping for safe and reliable.

I like safe and reliable, so I think HTC is doing things right. When I shop for a phone, I'll skip a few features for that HTC logo on the box. If I wanted bonkers bleeding edge, I'll shop elsewhere, but I don't do that with my phones in general.

Very understandable but I see it a little different. I would give more credit to those companies going for "bleeding-edge stuff" not because they are going for best tech but that they trying to change in a big way.

Last edited:

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
All I want is dual/quad HTC with ICS and a minimum 4.3in display and kickstands. Once that's on vzw I'm cashing in my upgrade.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Reactions: 808TBolt

808TBolt

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
All I want is dual/quad HTC with ICS and a minimum 4.3in display and kickstands. Once that's on vzw I'm cashing in my upgrade.

The Thunderbolt 2 or whatever needs to have a KICKSTAND

i cant believe HTC didnt include that in new phones like the Rezound:confused: :mad:

Atomic_Monkey

Android monkey
Jan 23, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I never thought kickstand was a big deal until I had one, now I don't want to live without one! I don't wear a belt clip so cases that use one for kickstand do nothing for me...

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I'm an HTC fan. I tried a Samsung device once. That was a bad experience. I would like to know how Mototola stacks up, but I don't have the time or $$ to waste experimenting right now.

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Htc made a mistake catering to the young crowd. Beats doesnt do a damm thing for me. I prefer a phone for grown ups! My moto photon fits that bill nicely!

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

Lol...what? You are stretching there a bit.

Last edited:

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
I think it's really subjective as I don't see where "HTC needs to make a comeback". What I do see are some (ex. Motorola, Samsung) saturating the market with buggy devices (quantity over quality) or overshadowing recently released products with another (ex. Bionic, Razr, Razr Maxx, Droid 2, 3 and 4, etc.). In comparison, I think HTC is more about quality than quantity and not over saturating the market. As such, they're in just the right spot and poised to release some solid new products soon. :)

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
My HTC TBolt has been a solid phone. I think it is built sturdy, solid and safe. It feels good in the hand it isn't "BOXY" like the iPhone.

The best thing with all the android phones is the OPENENESS of the ROM's and developement community.

What always gets me is people complaining about not having the latest OS (i.e. ICS). I want it more than anything else on my phone. But, if that would make my phone sluggish and not a smooth experience it is now, I will wait until I can upgrade in December to get whatever the latest OS (ICS, Jelly Bean)....duel core, quad core. I am happy with what HTC has done.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the growing consensus in this room it's ok for HTC to stay same. To me them staying the same has downfalls. First is and most important to me is they will be overlooked for future nexus projects. Second they will become irrelevant at one point in the tech world. When I mean irrelevant not going out business but HTC will be that solid Nokia phone. That phone everyone once had in middleschool and highschool with popular changeable covers. Where is Nokia now.....*wink wink*?

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the growing consensus in this room it's ok for HTC to stay same. To me them staying the same has downfalls. First is and most important to me is they will be overlooked for future nexus projects. Second they will become irrelevant at one point in the tech world. When I mean irrelevant not going out business but HTC will be that solid Nokia phone. That phone everyone once had in middleschool and highschool with popular changeable covers. Where is Nokia now.....*wink wink*?

Staying the same by porting out the best phones doesn't seem to be a bad thing. The rezound is Verizon's beat phone ATM. The Thunderbolt was thebonly 4g phone for months.

Ill take cutting edge all day.

Sent from my Thunderbolt via Tapatalk.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it's really subjective as I don't see where "HTC needs to make a comeback". What I do see are some (ex. Motorola, Samsung) saturating the market with buggy devices (quantity over quality) or overshadowing recently released products with another (ex. Bionic, Razr, Razr Maxx, Droid 2, 3 and 4, etc.). In comparison, I think HTC is more about quality than quantity and not over saturating the market. As such, they're in just the right spot and poised to release some solid new products soon. :)

I agree with you at some extent but disagree that all mobile companies have buggy devices out right now. Where you saturation in Samsung and Motorola I see variety. In that variety I see growth from there first gens. However they still retain for most part the safe, sturdy and simple formula. Now that formula has a new look.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Staying the same by porting out the best phones doesn't seem to be a bad thing. The rezound is Verizon's beat phone ATM. The Thunderbolt was thebonly 4g phone for months.

Ill take cutting edge all day.

"Staying the same by porting out the best phones"
May I ask how did you come to this conclusion that HTC is coming out with best phones?
Do you have any examples?

"The rezound is Verizon's beat phone ATM."
Well there many phones with great quality sound with out beats audio and many reviews on Rezound on the beats audio leaving people with more, Actually many of reviewers were just happy to get nice set of headphones but as far software felt experience was very limited and did not grant the phone to be the must have of be all for music.HTC Rezound review -- Engadget

We can go tic for tat over Rezound on Thunderbolt but to just simplify what your saying is general company coming out with first greatest tech is all company needs to do. Isn't that a goal all the companies strive for and actually trade places quite often in strive for latest tech. Doesn't that just fall in that natural progression of technology again?

tropper

Smarty Pants
Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
To the OP, what exactly are you looking for in a smartphone? What do other phones have that HTC phones lack? If you were in charge of HTC, in what direction would you take the company? As far as I can tell, HTC phones have almost everything that every other smartphone on the market has. Let's take a look at their most recent Verizon offering as an example:

4G? Check. And all reports point to a very strong radio that has few, if any, issues with maintaining data connection and handoffs between 3G and 4G.

Simultaneous Voice and Data over 3G and 4G? Check. As a matter of fact, the Rezound and Thunderbolt are the only Verizon smartphones that can do this.

HD Screen? Check. The Rezound has a higher ppi than any other phone in Verizon's lineup. Yep, even higher than the GN and Razr.

Fast Processor? Check. Once again the Rezound has a dual core 1.5 GhZ, which is faster than both the Galaxy Nexus and Droid Razr. Some might call that bleeding edge...

Memory? Check. 1 GB Internal DDR2 RAM, 16 GB memory, 16 GB microSD (upgradeable to 32 GB). The Nexus comes with 32 GB Internal Storage but no microSD slot, which leaves the Rezound with more Memory storage than the Nexus and equal to the Razr.

Beats Audio? Check. Gimmick or not, HTC is the only phone manufacturer that has it.

Quality Camera? Check. I can't vouch for the Rezound's battery but I've been very pleased with the Bolt's camera, and by all accounts and reviews, the Rezound's is better.

ICS? Nope. Not yet, but HTC has gone on record saying that the Rezound will get it. Then again, only the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus have gotten ICS, so it's not like HTC is falling behind the curve compared to other companies.

And lest not least, Sense UI, which I prefer over even ASOP (yeah I said it! ) it rocks over Touch Wiz, Blur, and what ever LG calls its OEM skin. Really breaking it down it looks and feels like some one changed stock android on the other manufactures overlays but Sense is original.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
There are 4 things I would like HTC to do:

1) Make a much louder speaker. Please don't argue with me. I don't care if its loud enough for YOU. It's not loud enough for ME. In a place with a lot of noise I can't hear any ringtone I've tried. I include in that a more violent vibrator with volume control. I can't "feel" or hear my phone in loud places. I never had that problem with the OG Droid. I had an HTC Windows phone and traded it in due the the soft ringtone. Pretty dumb to follow it up with another HTC!

2) I would like multi-color led notifier capability like the Droid. I know most people don't care but I really miss that feature.

3) I would like HTC to either produce a pure vanilla android phone OR include an option to shut off Sense (even better so those who love Sense have it and those who hate it can shut it off).

4) A big screen phone with a screen as good as an iphone. (No I don't want an iphone. Just a better screen)

Reactions: mightyfacundo

waker

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
"Staying the same by porting out the best phones"
May I ask how did you come to this conclusion that HTC is coming out with best phones?
Do you have any examples?

"The rezound is Verizon's beat phone ATM."
Well there many phones with great quality sound with out beats audio and many reviews on Rezound on the beats audio leaving people with more, Actually many of reviewers were just happy to get nice set of headphones but as far software felt experience was very limited and did not grant the phone to be the must have of be all for music.HTC Rezound review -- Engadget

We can go tic for tat over Rezound on Thunderbolt but to just simplify what your saying is general company coming out with first greatest tech is all company needs to do. Isn't that a goal all the companies strive for and actually trade places quite often in strive for latest tech. Doesn't that just fall in that natural progression of technology again?

That should have read "best" phone. Beats is just an app. I have it on my thunderbolt.

Who cares about beats. There is nothing other companies have over HTC. The rezound is the least buggy Verizon phone out of the box.

To answer your original question, no I don't agree at all with you. Also I think HTC is ahead of the curve and has the best ui by a mile. Go buy something else if you like. A single poo will not be given.

Enjoy continuing your discussion with others, though I can't even fathom where you are going with this.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol