ICS Dealbreaker?

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I know most Bolt owners are hoping to get ICS, but if ICS doesn't allow you to move apps to your SD card, would that be a dealbreaker for you? I think there are a few people that never move their apps to their SD card, so it won't affect you, but for the rest of us that move every app to their SD, would this lack of functionality stop you from upgrading your Thunderbolt?

Allow me to say that I'm not 100% positive that ICS on the Bolt won't allow apps to SD, but word out of the Acer a200 forum (they're getting their ICS update now) is that it's not allowed on their tablet. Also, I don't know how it would impact apps already stored on my SD card. (If someone knows the answer to this, I'd be very interested.)

For me, this would absolutely be a dealbreaker. Besides the fact that my Bolt runs perfectly, I rely on the extra storage my SD card provides and wouldn't be willing to give that up. As much as I'd be interested in checking out ICS, I would stick with Gingerbread. What about you?

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I know most Bolt owners are hoping to get ICS, but if ICS doesn't allow you to move apps to your SD card, would that be a dealbreaker for you? I think there are a few people that never move their apps to their SD card, so it won't affect you, but for the rest of us that move every app to their SD, would this lack of functionality stop you from upgrading your Thunderbolt?

Allow me to say that I'm not 100% positive that ICS on the Bolt won't allow apps to SD, but word out of the Acer a200 forum (they're getting their ICS update now) is that it's not allowed on their tablet. Also, I don't know how it would impact apps already stored on my SD card. (If someone knows the answer to this, I'd be very interested.)

For me, this would absolutely be a dealbreaker. Besides the fact that my Bolt runs perfectly, I rely on the extra storage my SD card provides and wouldn't be willing to give that up. As much as I'd be interested in checking out ICS, I would stick with Gingerbread. What about you?

I fall into the catagory of "a few that it won't affect". I have lots of apps on my phone, but none are on my SD card. Now, when I had my original Droid, I had to move them to the SD card because the onboard memory wouldn't hold all of them. I also purge a lot of my apps if I don't use them or hardly use them.

So, if ICS doesn't allow it, I won't be to heart broken. I have "APPS 2 SD" app that will allow me to move them to the SD card.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
No apps on SD here.
It just makes them load slower. What is the point?

I must have more apps on my phone than you because if I kept all of my apps on the internal drive, I wouldn't have enough storage for them. The situation is that I have games like Backstab, MC3, and Dungeon Hunter 2 on my phone which take up a ton of storage. By itself, Dungeon Hunter is 887 MB, so without the SD, I wouldn't be able to keep them all on my phone. For me, that's the point of the SD. :)

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I must have more apps on my phone than you because if I kept all of my apps on the internal drive, I wouldn't have enough storage for them. The situation is that I have games like Backstab, MC3, and Dungeon Hunter 2 on my phone which take up a ton of storage. By itself, Dungeon Hunter is 887 MB, so without the SD, I wouldn't be able to keep them all on my phone. For me, that's the point of the SD. :)

This. The free amazon app of the day coupled with the ten cent app sale and numerous other purchases, everything gets moved to my SD card that's movable. Granted, I could live without MOST of the apps on my phone, but if I can hold them all, I'll keep them all. I'm an app hoarder.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I've got about 100 apps. I've never moved one to the SD Card. And I still have over 80 percent of my "internal" memory left. That being said... I don't particularly care about ICS. My phone is so perfect now I would hate to take a chance on a new OS.

-Frank

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
I never counted before but I currently have 324 apps on my phone. There is 19.5 gigabytes left on my SD card and 1.23 gigabytes left on the internal storage. Definitely not enough room without the SD card. I'm not expecting an update to ICS, but hopefully something is announced at MWC to justify the $70 I spent to avoid a 2 year contract.

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
what are you talking about? ICS allows moving of apps to sd card lol it's just that galaxy nexus doesn't support an external storage option. Even if it doesn't, just stick cm9 on there. No way htc and verizon won't put apps to sd option on there.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I never counted before but I currently have 324 apps on my phone. There is 19.5 gigabytes left on my SD card and 1.23 gigabytes left on the internal storage. Definitely not enough room without the SD card. I'm not expecting an update to ICS, but hopefully something is announced at MWC to justify the $70 I spent to avoid a 2 year contract.

You do realize that the 1.23GB you have left on your internal storage shows that you've used a little less than 50 percent of your usable internal storgae so far -- even with your 324 apps! Right?

2.4GB usable to start with
1.23GB usable now

-Frank

Last edited:

rosser

Former Advisor
Aug 22, 2010
Visit site
No apps on SD here.
It just makes them load slower. What is the point?

I think that the point is that if you have a plethora of apps (like myself :p), it is good because you can't really get that annoying Low Space notification, because the apps would be on your SD Card.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
what are you talking about? ICS allows moving of apps to sd card lol it's just that galaxy nexus doesn't support an external storage option. Even if it doesn't, just stick cm9 on there. No way htc and verizon won't put apps to sd option on there.

Are you positive that ICS allows it? My original post pointed out that on the Acer Iconia a200, which is getting it's ICS upgrade, apps to sd isn't an option. I would love it if this was wrong and if they allowed it on other devices.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
From a cursory look around, it appears to be a problem on tablets in particular, not so much smartphones. But, I can't find anything conclusive though either way. It doesn't help that the one smartphone officially released with ICS doesn't even have an SDcard.

anon(394005)

Banned
Jul 5, 2011
Visit site
i move all aps to sd card

i do not want ICS

i repeat, I DO NOT WANT ICS

Thanks!

LOL I'm getting the same feeling the more I learn about ICS and after seeing the Sense 4.0 leaks on upcoming HTC devices and their ICS tainted UI changes. It's kind of like how I feel about Windows 7 or IE9. Microsoft made a lot of changes to those UI's that I don't like and then removed any type of "classic" mode so you're forced to do things the new way whether you like it or not. Result: I'm still happily using Windows XP and IE8, even on a year old laptop designed for Windows 7. :)

I'm also concerned about how ICS is handling the LTE/CDMA radios in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. After reading that phone's forums for a while, I get the feeling Google/Verizon are struggling to put out a reliable fix for that phone's radio issues (although some believe it?s a hardware issue). Now add in the complexity of the Thunderbolt's (or Rezound's) extra radios (for simultaneous voice/data) and I?m even more concerned about stability with ICS and the primary reason I don?t want it on the Thunderbolt. While I highly doubt the Thunderbolt will officially get it, IF it does happen, I just might consider rooting just for the sake of disabling OTA updates to stay on this very stable Gingerbread setup. :)

redcat22

Feb 2, 2012
Visit site
LOL I'm getting the same feeling the more I learn about ICS and after seeing the Sense 4.0 leaks on upcoming HTC devices and their ICS tainted UI changes. It's kind of like how I feel about Windows 7 or IE9. Microsoft made a lot of changes to those UI's that I don't like and then removed any type of "classic" mode so you're forced to do things the new way whether you like it or not. Result: I'm still happily using Windows XP and IE8, even on a year old laptop designed for Windows 7. :)

I'm also concerned about how ICS is handling the LTE/CDMA radios in the Verizon Galaxy Nexus. After reading that phone's forums for a while, I get the feeling Google/Verizon are struggling to put out a reliable fix for that phone's radio issues (although some believe it?s a hardware issue). Now add in the complexity of the Thunderbolt's (or Rezound's) extra radios (for simultaneous voice/data) and I?m even more concerned about stability with ICS and the primary reason I don?t want it on the Thunderbolt. While I highly doubt the Thunderbolt will officially get it, IF it does happen, I just might consider rooting just for the sake of disabling OTA updates to stay on this very stable Gingerbread setup. :)

If you do root to avoid OTA, be sure to run a custom ROM. Otherwise you will still be able to receive OTA while rooted.

dloseke

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
It's kind of like how I feel about Windows 7 or IE9. Microsoft made a lot of changes to those UI's that I don't like and then removed any type of "classic" mode so you're forced to do things the new way whether you like it or not. Result: I'm still happily using Windows XP and IE8, even on a year old laptop designed for Windows 7. :)

I'm having a hard time understanding why someone would avoid Win7. I what is this IE that you speak of? :)

Don't get me wrong...I love XP, and have about 200 machines running it, but the new features in Windows 7 make so many things faster and easier than XP. There was a little learning curve, but it was quick. I would expect more people to say that they don't want to make the jump from Office 2003 to 2007 or 2010 because of the Ribbon.