1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default MR2 update reviews/opinions

I know there are quite a few MR2 update threads but there really isnt a one stop thread for people to go to who are thinking about installing it to get opinions on whether it is worth it or not. Requires a lot of digging to get people's opinions on it. I know there are quite a few of us on here that have it installed and was hoping to get as many reviews of it as possible.

So here is my overall opinion of it: It is awesome! I've had it installed since the day it was leaked on here (June 10th) and have not had a reboot or a complete shutdown since then. Although I did not get a lot of reboots in my area, I did get someand I also had several complete power downs. This update has fixed that issue for me. My GPS is also much faster and more accurate. I've been able to get GPS lock in the middle of my house and in a hotel room since installing and it is normally almost instant lock. I drove my car on a 4,200+ mile road trip with the update installed using Google Nav and Pandora the entire time without a GPS or data hiccup. The ability to get and hold onto a data signal is much better. I used to leave 4G turned off because the signal in my house was kind of weak and it was switch between 3G and 4G too often but not I keep a constant lock on to 4G in my house. It is difficult for me to compare battery usage before and after because I always left my phone in 3G prior to the update but now I just let the phone figure out what it wants since the data is better. I think most will find battery usage is a little higher because of the improved signal strength. Lastly, just need to add that you can use the MyVerizon app, you get a 4G on/off switch built into the phone's menu as well which is nice. So overall, I reccomend this update, especially to those having problems with their phone. Here is the link to the install instructions:

Last edited by bjboucher; 07-05-2011 at 01:52 PM.

Default Re: MR2 update reviews/opinions

My opinion is that it works on my phone. I've got 545:34:55 and counting uptime right now. Before MR2 that amount of time before a random reboot was unheard of.

same for me.

Mine was ok before first update.

After that rebooting was a daily thing. once installed leaked mr2 no reboots. Granted its only been 4 days our so.

Gps improved dramatically. Locking in under 10 seconds at most in various parts of my state.

Battery seems to be the same.
    Last edited by ji001; 07-05-2011 at 03:39 PM.

Hello, I've been reading the forums for a while (awesome site btw ), but felt compelled to join to add my experience regarding the leaked MR2 RUU which I flashed back on June 10. Since flashing, I have not had one single reboot, whereas previously (with MR1), had numerous reboots, in particular in an area known as something of an RF dead zone (even FM radio breaks up there) near my house that I travel through frequently. No reboots includes a recent trip driving from Alabama to Colorado and back and while using 4G LTE for a week in the Denver area!

Of course before flashing, I did a backup of important stuff (ex. contacts, browser favorites, etc.). Initially, a few apps (ex. Google Maps, alarm clock sounds, and ringtones) were not working properly. But, a master reset cleared all that up and I was able to set everything back up as needed. The ONLY issue I had was the touch screen would randomly act like someone was touching the screen. This lasted for only a few days after flashing and has not happened again to date. It NEVER did this previously, so I thought it had to have something to do with MR2. Anyway, since flashing MR2, the phone has been rock solid! Oh, one last thing I remember; there are a few contacts (ex. #BAL, #DATA, #MIN, #PMT, Global Support Team, Warranty Center) listed when pressing "Phone" that I cannot delete (they are not listed in the People app). They have the SIM card logo next to them. Not a biggie though. All in all, MR2 has been very good to me!

mr2 has been a lifesaver! I have a stock, non-rooted Thunderbolt and my home sits on the edge of three different towers. I was getting random reboots like crazy when I was at home. It was driving me nuts! I flashed mr2 last Thursday and have not rebooted once since! I had one app that did not restore from my backup, but everything else worked great. I highly recommend it. Not at all worried about getting future updates either.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

MR2 has affected my bluetooth in that I can no longer use my car as my bluetooth speaker, it disconnects/screws up. In addition, several of the HTC Sense apps are acting up. Does anyone know how to rollback to MR1 or what the phone came with?
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Quote Originally Posted by zman3001 View Post
    MR2 has affected my bluetooth in that I can no longer use my car as my bluetooth speaker, it disconnects/screws up. In addition, several of the HTC Sense apps are acting up. Does anyone know how to rollback to MR1 or what the phone came with?
    You have to root your phone (if anyone has figured out how to root MR2) to return. There is a bluetooth fix related to the HTC Facebook app, have you looked into that? Which apps are acting up for you, i've had no problems.

Glad I didn't try it. I depend on my bluetooth car connection. It works perfectly now so any change in performance would be bad.

Global Posts
    110 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    You have to root your phone (if anyone has figured out how to root MR2) to return. There is a bluetooth fix related to the HTC Facebook app, have you looked into that? Which apps are acting up for you, i've had no problems.
    Can you provide more information about that, perhaps a link?

The HTC Peep doesn't want to show me my profile, and the stocks app is acting weird. In addition, it won't let me download certain HTC apps like the tip calculator.

Come on, is it as easy as downloading the original radio and flashing that as I did the MR2? Someone has to have an answer.

ROM
    LiquidThunderbread 2.5

For the first time ever, my phone has been up for 80+ hours. Working perfectly, nary a problem. I love the MR2 radio. Wish I hadn't waited so long to use.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk
    I don't think the world is going to end on Dec, 21,2012; but I'm not doing any Christmas shopping till the 22nd.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

The HTC Peep doesn't want to show me my profile, and the stocks app is acting weird. In addition, it won't let me download certain HTC apps like the tip calculator.

Come on, is it as easy as downloading the original radio and flashing that as I did the MR2? Someone has to have an answer.
    Here is the thread where an individual found some help with his bluetooth:

http://forum.androidcentral.com/veri...underbolt.html

And no, going back is not as easy as it was to go forward. If it was, no one would be using the update that Verizon and HTC put out that caused all the rebooting issues.

Global Posts
    832 Global Posts

Try this yet?
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Not really sure we needed another thread here since there are very few threads in this forum that DON'T talk about rebooting and MR2, but here we go.

I first downloaded and installed MR2 the day it was leaked (really late that night) because I was about two or three days away from asking for a replacement. I was really trying to hold out till the official release. I was getting anywhere from 4-12 reboots a day (that I knew about) and getting worse day by day, making the phone almost worthless and unusable. I basally figured if it didn't work I would ask for a replacement.

Following the update I reinstalled most of my previous apps and managed to get 26 hrs without a reboot. For 3-4 days I got one reboot a day 20+ hours apart, and all but one of them was when i was asleep. I didn't consider the problem completely fixed but it was a world of difference from what I was experiencing and decided to wait on getting a refurb since I really didn't want to if I could help it.

After a few days of this I went about 105 or so hours without a reboot. Then had two more reboots about a day apart and I am now going on over 208 hrs without a reboot.

Anyone who is having a significant issue with reboots (meaning more than one a day) I highly recommend this update, it will almost certainly at least improve things. If, however, you are not having reboots at all or only one a day or so I would encourage you ti sit tight and wait it out unless things get worse. A new update WILL come soon that fixes the reboot problem.
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Correcting Some of the Shared Everything Misinformation * My Phone Collection

PSA - Verizon Galaxy Nexus Signal Strength Comparison
    Thanked by:

My only problem is that the MLB at bat app no longer shows up in my list of apps. I use that app all the time.
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by tjlandberg View Post
    My only problem is that the MLB at bat app no longer shows up in my list of apps. I use that app all the time.
    Check XDA, maybe someone there fished it out of the other ROM?
    Android is all about Personal Choice: Droid RAZR HD, Droid DNA, SGSIII, SG Note 2, HTC One X+, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus4... Hating is so Apple... we're better than that!

Thanked by:

Just voicing another thought here. Is there really a big difference between the MR2 and MR2.5 radios. It seems like from this thread, MR2 is better than MR2.5. Any thoughts?
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Quote Originally Posted by VZWRocks View Post
    Not really sure we needed another thread here since there are very few threads in this forum that DON'T talk about rebooting and MR2, but here we go.
    I understand that but for a new person coming on the forum, there really isnt an easy way to tell if the update is good or bad for them. Would take hours upon hours to sift through all the threads to get an informed decision so I thought this might help.
    Thanked by:
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    I understand that but for a new person coming on the forum, there really isnt an easy way to tell if the update is good or bad for them. Would take hours upon hours to sift through all the threads to get an informed decision so I thought this might help.
    I know what you are saying, my point was that there are a couple dozen threads here talking about it so you cant help but bump into them. If it concerns you maybe ask one of the mods to merge some of them together under a new name? The info I placed here is almost exactly what I have put in at least three other threads and I suspect I am not alone.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts

So you don't have to root to flash the MR2?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_schticker View Post
    Nah you basically download a file and reboot your phone. of course there is a detailed instruction on how to do it correctly.

But yea that's pretty much it no rooting necessary
    Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

Quote Originally Posted by mr_schticker View Post
    Nope. It's a signed update complete with release keys. Fully flashable.

Formerly VZWRocks

Global Posts
    4,271 Global Posts
    ROM
    what's wrong with stock?

And after 247 hours of uptime I had another rebioot Was a great run while it lasted... hopefully my next record will beat it this was roighly twice my previous long stretch ..

120 hours since MR2 and I had my first shutdown. this phone's first shutdown I believe.

How you save it to SD card before shut down and reboot

Sent From My Thunderbolt
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

Quote Originally Posted by otto76 View Post
    How you save it to SD card before shut down and reboot

Sent From My Thunderbolt
    Easiest way is to plug the phone into your computer in Disk mode. You might want to wait now because it looks like the official update is coming from Verizon like very soon...as in tonight or next few days.