Replacement battery from VZW

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
So, I decided on a whim to call VZW and ask about why the battery drops off by like 10% when the phone restarts. The rep told me that it shouldn't be doing that and because my battery was under warranty, he could send me a brand new one and to just ship back my old one.

They sent me a brand new battery in a box that you'd get from the store. This battery is different however. This battery says PCD on it. Did a lil more research and it appears its from Personal Communications Device, so I'm assuming an "aftermarket" battery that VZW sells? Should I be weary of this at all? Should I hold onto my 4 month old battery rather then take this new one? Granted today is the first day I'm using this battery, but I restarted this morning and it went from 97% to like 93 or 94... MUCH less than my old battery would have.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So, I decided on a whim to call VZW and ask about why the battery drops off by like 10% when the phone restarts. The rep told me that it shouldn't be doing that and because my battery was under warranty, he could send me a brand new one and to just ship back my old one.

They sent me a brand new battery in a box that you'd get from the store. This battery is different however. This battery says PCD on it. Did a lil more research and it appears its from Personal Communications Device, so I'm assuming an "aftermarket" battery that VZW sells? Should I be weary of this at all? Should I hold onto my 4 month old battery rather then take this new one? Granted today is the first day I'm using this battery, but I restarted this morning and it went from 97% to like 93 or 94... MUCH less than my old battery would have.

is the label different, or is there an additional white label (or some other color) on it and does it have a date?

anyways, follow the procedure, for phones, you should have 5 days to try it out, but just follow whatever your paperwork says. if it works better, keep the replacement. if not, return.

btw, not sure if this is a new procedure or not, when they sent me a replacement extended battery, it was in new packing, and did not have to send back the old one and came with a battery door as well.

Bwangster12

Sep 20, 2010
Visit site
On the back (the side that faces up when in the phone) says "PCD: Personal Communications Devices" and has a company symbol. The under side of the battery has all information relating to PCD about the battery. Lists what looks like some sort of ID number, has the company symbol and name again, and has information such as 1400 mah, blah blah.

Doesn't have any extra stickers or white labels indicating that it would be replacement. Simply looks like a brand new battery from a different manufacturer.

biogon

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
The white label with PCD on it usually means that it's been back to VZW's repair facility.

I had those a bunch when I was going through my replacement TBs.

My guess is that chances are, your battery is a refurb?

AtoGT

May 23, 2011
Visit site
It's a new battery, I bought one from the Verizon store a few weeks ago and it says the same thing.
As far as the battery dip goes, there was nothing wrong with you old battery, HTC has a charge/discharge feature built into the phone to keep the battery from overcharging. If you unplug the phone use it for a few minutes then plug it back in you will find that the orange light comes back on for a while. Once it turns green again it should be at a true 100% or close to it. You can also do something called a bump charge that is similar but might extend the usuable time per day, but shorten the life of the battery.