Data Usage Widget Stuck in Connecting Loop

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Installed MR2 tonight. I already had the leaked version of the My Verizon app working. The new widget installed itself over the old one. Problem is the widget gets stuck in some kind of "connecting" loop. When I manually sign into My Verizon using the widget, that stops the connecting loop, but as soon as I reboot, the connecting loop is back. I've cleared the cache and force closed the app. Sometimes, it won't even connect with My Verion, and I get the following message:

"There was an error communicating with the server."

Any one else having this problem? Any way to fix this? Maybe I'll try a factory reset ...

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
Yup, after 2 reboots in the hope of recovering my LTE instead of 3G (didn't work), I had to click on the Widget both times or it just sat there "connecting".

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Is your phone installing your old apps in the background while you do this? If so this should be cleared up once you are done.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Is your phone installing your old apps in the background while you do this? If so this should be cleared up once you are done.
No. The offocial MR2 update does not do a factory reset or otherwise delete your old programs so there's no old programs installing in the background.

Thanks, Robrecht

htcdj

Mar 26, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting either (a) 'services unavailable', (b) 'can't connect to server', or (c) jumps right to the sign in screen.

So, if I attempt to sign in, it says (a) or (b) or (d) wrong password. So, I do the retrieve password thing and when I get to the part of entering my zip and last #'s of SSN, it comes back and says the information was entered in wrong.

I went to my local verizon store yesterday, and they couldn't help me. I just attempted a battery pull along with a SIM card pull.

Is my only option that is left is to do a factory reset?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I keep getting either (a) 'services unavailable', (b) 'can't connect to server', or (c) jumps right to the sign in screen.

So, if I attempt to sign in, it says (a) or (b) or (d) wrong password. So, I do the retrieve password thing and when I get to the part of entering my zip and last #'s of SSN, it comes back and says the information was entered in wrong.

I went to my local verizon store yesterday, and they couldn't help me. I just attempted a battery pull along with a SIM card pull.

Is my only option that is left is to do a factory reset?

Wow verizon did not have u do a factory reset that's there solution to everything :).
I had the same problem and the only way i could fix it was doing a factory reset.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Now it looks like this problem has not been completely fixed by doing a factory reset. Every once in a while, I still find the widget indefinitely stuck in some kind of connecting loop. Not sure if this is draining any additional power or not. When I tap on the widget it now always seems to connect and I haven't gotten any more messages about an error communicating with the server. I do notice that the widget does not keep pace with the data being tracked by the app when I do open it up fully and connect. Think I'll just delete the widget and just use the full program. Don't really need to know my data anyway since I'm grandfather'd with unlimited data.

Installed MR2 tonight. I already had the leaked version of the My Verizon app working. The new widget installed itself over the old one. Problem is the widget gets stuck in some kind of "connecting" loop. When I manually sign into My Verizon using the widget, that stops the connecting loop, but as soon as I reboot, the connecting loop is back. I've cleared the cache and force closed the app. Sometimes, it won't even connect with My Verion, and I get the following message:

"There was an error communicating with the server."

Any one else having this problem? Any way to fix this? Maybe I'll try a factory reset ...

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
What's really strange, is that I can't even download the MyVerizon app, it doesn't show up in the market for me.
It comes with MR2 or you can side load an older official version. The one om Market is not compatible with the ThunderBolt so it's hidden from your phone.

Thanks, Robrecht

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
My Verizon app on Market showed an upgrade for me today from Version 10.0.2 (MR2 version, I think) to Version 10.0.4. It may have fixed the connecting loop problem, but going from there to purchasing ThunderBolt accessories sometimes shows no accessories available for the ThunderBolt on both versions, but seems to working OK right now.

Reactions: FrankXS

cadzilla74

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the widget for this very reason. Every reboot requires I click on the icon to connect with it. Otherwise it just sits there spinning its wheels.

I use the free from the market Data Counter widget which keeps a history of all my usage as well as tracking wifi vs 3g/4g. It is very accurate.

Oddly though, it disagrees with my Verizon usage by about 180mb this month which is very odd. They were running neck and neck on a per day monitoring rate until I cleared Data Counter on the 15th of the month to get it in synch with my Verizon billing cycle. They were both at zero at midnight and the TBolt was on wifi when I went to bed. Woke up to find 35mb via wifi according to D-C which is normal since some mail came in and PodTrapper probably picked up a new download or two and NO cell network traffic. But the Verizon widget showed 182mb of data transfer overnight. Really Verizon? What exactly are they doing over there? And no, they didn't push anything I could find but D-C would have seen it anyway.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I don't use the widget for this very reason. Every reboot requires I click on the icon to connect with it. Otherwise it just sits there spinning its wheels. ...
I don't use it either, both for this reason, and its resulting effect on battery life, and also because I have unlimited data so don't need to monitor it anyway. But I thought some people might like to know that the widget might be fixed with today's update.

Eric.Kim

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi. im new here. I know its kinda a old post. But i got a Droid 4 with verizon. i have the grandfathered unlimited internet and am getting this continuing loop on the verizon my data app. Has anyone figured out how to turn it off or stop it?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Hi. im new here. I know its kinda a old post. But i got a Droid 4 with verizon. i have the grandfathered unlimited internet and am getting this continuing loop on the verizon my data app. Has anyone figured out how to turn it off or stop it?

Try the three things that were suggested in the thread so far

1. Remove and recreate the widget
2. Uninstall the MyVerizon app (really it's remove the updates) and then re-download it
3. Factory data reset (THIS WILL ERASE ALL OF YOUR DATA).

Other than that not much else you can do this trhead is over 6 months old and the problem should be long gone by now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nikoczzzz