Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

ROM
    Stock Non Rooted

Question Should I wait for the OTA or just download?

Should I wait to install this OTA since I haven't got it yet or should I just download it and manually install? Is there any difference in waiting vs manually installing besides it wiping the phone if manual install? Does the OTA wipe? My phone is still showing the "checking for new software" window just goes away then nothing....no error, no update not available, just nothing.

Default Re: Should I wait for the OTA or just download?

The OTA does not wipe the phone. I would just wait unless you have some urgency to fix the reboot issue immediately. Try a power down then power up to see if it goes off and discovers it...

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Quote Originally Posted by Brainfart View Post
    Should I wait to install this OTA since I haven't got it yet or should I just download it and manually install? Is there any difference in waiting vs manually installing besides it wiping the phone if manual install? Does the OTA wipe? My phone is still showing the "checking for new software" window just goes away then nothing....no error, no update not available, just nothing.
    1) It does not wipe the phone under any circumstances. 2) There is no difference in manually "checking for update" and waiting until you get prompted for the installation. There is no reason to wait.

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

ROM
    Stock Non Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    1) It does not wipe the phone under any circumstances. 2) There is no difference in manually "checking for update" and waiting until you get prompted for the installation. There is no reason to wait.

-Frank
    So if I download it to my computer then move it to the phone and install. It still will not wipe my phone? its this one correct?
    PG05IMG_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.70.605.0_Radio_1.39.00.0627r_NV_8k_1.41_9K_1.64_release_200422_signed.zip

420meg file.

So if I download it to my computer then move it to the phone and install. It still will not wipe my phone? its this one correct?
    PG05IMG_Mecha_VERIZON_WWE_1.70.605.0_Radio_1.39.00.0627r_NV_8k_1.41_9K_1.64_release_200422_signed.zip

420meg file.
    manually downloading the ruu from the website will wipe the phone. downloading from the phone's software update menu will not wipe phone
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

ROM
    Stock Non Rooted

Ok understood. my update menu is acting weird the checking for updates window stays for a second or two then it just goes away. That's why I'm a tad concerned about if I will get it or not.

I wonder the % amount of people who got the notice vs manually downloading the RUU.

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Ok understood. my update menu is acting weird the checking for updates window stays for a second or two then it just goes away. That's why I'm a tad concerned about if I will get it or not.

I wonder the % amount of people who got the notice vs manually downloading the RUU.
    1) Any and all "RUUs" will wipe your phone. 2) Any and all "OTAs" will not.

If you are having issues obtaining the official OTA via the phone's "check for updates" selection, I'd try a battery pull/sim pull, reinsert and restart and try again. If you keep getting a "disappearing act" after you "check for updates" I'd next try a factory reset and try again. If you still get the "disappearing act" I'd take it in to VZW and exchange it. You should at least be getting a "service not available" message or a "no update available" message. Either way you should not be getting a disappearing menu.

Note: This "disappearing" issue is totally different than the "service not available" issue. The "service not available issue" is almost always temporary due to the server connection, or temporary server issues, not the phone.

Edit: Okay, I just read that someone who was getting the dreaded "disappearing act" was finally auto-prompted to update, and it succeeded. So... I dunno.... I guess you should hang in there a while and see what pops up...
    Last edited by FrankXS; 07-09-2011 at 10:54 AM.
    [HTC Thunderbolt™ 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!©
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

ROM
    Stock Non Rooted

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    1) Any and all "RUUs" will wipe your phone. 2) Any and all "OTAs" will not.

If you are having issues obtaining the official OTA via the phone's "check for updates" selection, I'd try a battery pull/sim pull, reinsert and restart and try again. If you keep getting a "disappearing act" after you "check for updates" I'd next try a factory reset and try again. If you still get the "disappearing act" I'd take it in to VZW and exchange it. You should at least be getting a "service not available" message or a "no update available" message. Either way you should not be getting a disappearing menu.

Note: This "disappearing" issue is totally different than the "service not available" issue. The "service not available issue" is almost always temporary due to the server connection, or temporary server issues, not the phone.

Edit: Okay, I just read that someone who was getting the dreaded "disappearing act" was finally auto-prompted to update, and it succeeded. So... I dunno.... I guess you should hang in there a while and see what pops up...
    Ok I guess I'll wait a day or so and see what happens. Tried the battery & sim pull and I'm still getting the dissapearing act. Earlier today I did get the server error once then

Global Posts
    94 Global Posts

All I've gotten is disappearing acts. I've done battery pull, factory reset and Sri nothing. I'm in Ga and know several other people who was able to load it. This just plain out sucks

Global Posts
    133 Global Posts

I like a good phone wipe every now and then. The phone is super smooth after a full RUU install. I'm also enjoying the manual debloat process using the tutorial in the mods section. Removing just the apps you want is somewhat more satisfying than downloading a fully debloated rom. I can go from fresh install to fully customized in about an hour now.