How To: Use Widgetsoid to create a widget to the new 3G/4G toggle

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
We've all been using LTE OnOff - HTC Thunderbolt to toggle between LTE and CDMA, but all this app did was throw us into a confusing service menu with lots of info we don't really need.

Since the MR2 update, we now have an explicit LTE/CDMA toggle located here: Settings -> Wireless & Network -> Mobile Networks -> Network Mode -> "LTE/CMDA" & "CDMA only".

Going through all those menus can be cumbersome, so I looked and found an app that allows you to create a widget straight to the Network Mode menu, where you'll get to the new, easy-to-understand LTE/CDMA option in one press.

Now there are probably other widget apps like this, so I'm only pointing out one method. Sure, there are only a couple widget icons to use, and both are kinda ugly, but hey -- it saves some menu navigation! :)

Let's get started!

1. Install Widgetsoid2.x from the Android Market.
2. Long press an empty 1x1 place on one of your home screens, and select Widget.
3. Scroll through the available widget list and select Widgetsoid Indicator (1*1).
4. Choose your widget background color/image, and background transparency (alpha level).
5. Select either Network or Wifi/Network (both work) from the Left Indicator picklist.
6. Select the indicator color.
7. There are two options for widget icons: The antenna looking one (default) or you can check the Bars/Antenna box to use bars instead of the antenna (I prefer this one -- it's cleaner!).
8. Select Apply and you now have your LTE/CDMA widget on your home screem, ready for use!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: How To: Use Widgetsoid to create a widget to the new 3G/4G to

Unless I'm understanding something wrong, what you are describing is a shortcut, not a widget.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Unless I'm understanding something wrong, what you are describing is a shortcut, not a widget.

Technically speaking, it's a widget, as it's added via the widgets dialog. Generally speaking, it's a shortcut to the network settings. However, the bars on the icon change with your signal strength, so we'll stick to the technical term, widget. ;)

karmajack

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Works great, but not too fond of the Icon choices. Not sure if I'll keep it yet.

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site

Works great, but not too fond of the Icon choices. Not sure if I'll keep it yet.

Yeah... I figure it will get us by until someone write a true toggle widget (that doesn't go to a settings menu). Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Yeah... I figure it will get us by until someone write a true toggle widget (that doesn't go to a settings menu). Hopefully that happens sooner rather than later.

Has anyone seen a true toggle widget yet? I have been checking but have not found anything.

Treknologist

Jan 17, 2011
Visit site

Haven't found one either. This is the best solution I've found (mindless self promotion?). :D

It is the best solution right now, I agree. I had hoped someone had figured a way to get to the network selection directly by now. :)

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz