Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By l0wr1d3r
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Swype?

Where can I find swype? I can't find it in the market on my phone or online?
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Default Re: Swype?

I downloaded and installed it and it took me forever to figure out how to turn it on as a text entry method.

Long-press in a text field (i.e. a text message) and then press input method in the bubble that pops up and choose swype.

hope this helps someone!
    You got to risk it for the biscuit

Razr > EnV > EnV Touch > LG Dare > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy III > HTC Droid DNA

ROM
    Stock (For now)

Next question is, do you like it?

Personally. I got really used to it on the DX. I caught on quickly, and was pretty good at using it. It was especially helpful if you only had one free hand (ie when driving as bad as that sounds or doing other things... )

Anywho, after a while however I got really fed up with the word prediction choosing the wrong word or just the software messing up. I switched back to the multi touch keyboard so that if a mistake was make I could blame it on user error and not the phone. It was a psychological thing so I wouldnt get mad at my phone. haha. Anyway, I'm getting used to / better with the stock keyboard.

I tried 8pen for a while and just gave up. the learning curve was waaaaaay to steep.
    You got to risk it for the biscuit

Razr > EnV > EnV Touch > LG Dare > Droid X > HTC Thunderbolt > Samsung Galaxy III > HTC Droid DNA

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I tried swype and it was ok but even when I got good at it I still found the stock keyboard easier to use.

Swype is great, just wish it had buttons for moving the freaking cursor.
    smmytmc likes this.

Global Posts
    2,047 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by l0wr1d3r View Post
    Swype is great, just wish it had buttons for moving the freaking cursor.
    Agreed

It's not as good as having arrows to navigate your text, but Swype allows you to zoom in and move the cursor by holding your finger near a word.

I've used Swype... but prefer SwiftKey.
    Current: Moto X (2014) Pure Edition, ASUS ZenWatch, Pebble Steel, Chromecast
    Retired Device (in order): HTC One (M8), Samsung Galaxy S4, Droid Razr Maxx, HTC Thunderbolt, HTC myTouch 4G, Blackberry's Bold, 8900 (Curve)

Jerry: "Love, Peace, and Chicken Grease!!!"

Swype is amazing as long a you have the updated version of swype beta. The previous version was all screwy with my Thunderbolt. Love it now.

It does have buttons for moving cursoWhen keyboard is up sype from the swype button just to the key next to it which is sym
    and you get a vast array of controls

also another trick swype from swype key to letter f and you get a numeric keypad
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by scottadusa View Post
    It does have buttons for moving cursoWhen keyboard is up sype from the swype button just to the key next to it which is sym
    and you get a vast array of controls

also another trick swype from swype key to letter f and you get a numeric keypad

Oh snap, you just saved me hella lotta aggravation...
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Thanks all. Sounds like I'll take a pass.

I don't think I'd like using my phone very much without Swype. I have the beta and it works great on the TB.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Swype 3.0 is an INCREDIBLE improvement over previous versions.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant

Global Posts
    934 Global Posts
    ROM
    stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiel View Post
    Swype 3.0 is an INCREDIBLE improvement over previous versions.
    +1^^^^^^^^

Sounds lame, but I think flexT9 works better.