PDANet on Stock TB

cookrd1

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone got PDANet to work on the stock TB? I get the warning message from Vz about needing to purchase the Hotspot feature when I try to use PDANet. I sent an email to PDANet, but their response did not offer any suggestions.
Bob

andunn31

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone got PDANet to work on the stock TB? I get the warning message from Vz about needing to purchase the Hotspot feature when I try to use PDANet. I sent an email to PDANet, but their response did not offer any suggestions.
Bob
I just installed it last night. I just followed the directions and it works great. I did not get that message.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Bob

I use that app every day just go on like normal and dismiss the message

vtmcs

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
So if I download PDANet and install...I can connect my computer to my phone and use the phone as a Wifi hotspot? Am I understanding this correctly? Also, will Verizon charge me when I do this? I currently only have the unlimited data plan.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
So if I download PDANet and install...I can connect my computer to my phone and use the phone as a Wifi hotspot? Am I understanding this correctly? Also, will Verizon charge me when I do this? I currently only have the unlimited data plan.
Coupla things.... it's been a while since I've used PDAnet. I am a registered user (paying) but simply haven't needed it because I decided to pay for the MHS/MBBC via VZW.

Anyway, unless it has changed, PDAnet will not use VZW Mobile Hotspot. Nor will it use VZW "Connect to PC" via a USB cable within the ThunderBolt menus. Instead, it uses its own technique and is limited to USB cable only, no Wifi. Although, it seems like I may have heard something recently about the devs working on a wireless Bluetooth method. Not sure on that.

Also, PDAnet is a paid application. It's not free (other than possibly a trial).

-Frank

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Coupla things.... it's been a while since I've used PDAnet. I am a registered user (paying) but simply haven't needed it because I decided to pay for the MHS/MBBC via VZW.

Anyway, unless it has changed, PDAnet will not use VZW Mobile Hotspot. Nor will it use VZW "Connect to PC" via a USB cable within the ThunderBolt menus. Instead, it uses its own technique and is limited to USB cable only, no Wifi. Although, it seems like I may have heard something recently about the devs working on a wireless Bluetooth method. Not sure on that.

Also, PDAnet is a paid application. It's not free (other than possibly a trial).

-Frank
You are correct ^

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Firstly I'd like to say that I know of no policy that Verizon has covering this as of now, but with that said, be cautious... Verizon may start a policy like AT&T where that they log you tethering and warn you not to do it, then randomly go an backdate the $30 tethering feature from when they first logged the tethering occurring. I hope it never happens, but I am putting the warning out there.

Aside, where the pop-up comes from is a background running service called something like "TetherBlock". If you stop the service, it will auto start itself once it detects a USB connection to a computer anyway. Rooted people naturally will never see it.

PDANet has a free version, but you cannot view secure (https) sites.

Last edited:

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Firstly I'd like to say that I know of no policy that Verizon has covering this as of now, but with that said, be cautious... Verizon may start a policy like AT&T where that they log you tethering and warn you not to do it, then randomly go an backdate the $30 tethering feature from when they first logged the tethering occurring.

Aside, where the pop-up comes from is a background running service called something like "TetherBlock". If you stop the service, it will auto start itself once it detects a USB connection to a computer anyway. Rooted people naturally will never see it.
Yes I don't believe Verizon does this at the moment but more then likely do it in the future as they take more cues from att

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Yes I don't believe Verizon does this at the moment but more then likely do it in the future as they take more cues from att

In reality, they should be taking cues from Sprint... the majority of cases where they do lose that rare customer, its usually to Sprint. Especially since the start of the unlimited cell phone to cell phones calling.

l0wr1d3r

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Noticing Verizon Mobile Hotspot will crap out periodically for unspecified reasons, PDANet is a handy backup if you don't mind the wire.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Noticing Verizon Mobile Hotspot will crap out periodically for unspecified reasons, PDANet is a handy backup if you don't mind the wire.

Mine doesn't do that. I can't help but wonder if the "crap out" some people see is because they failed to set the "inactivity time out".

-05 min
-10 min
-Always On

-Frank

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt 4G/LTE using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12