Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Screen at lowest setting, all location off, no gps, no bluetooth, rooted but stock OS, haven't performed MR2 update yet, minimal use, no widgets on homescreens, no animated home screens, something has begun absolutely KILLING my battery the past several days or so.

    What's a good app to track realtime cpu / mem / network stats by process, the way you can do with windows task manager? The "what has been using my battery" option is terrible.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Are you in a 4G area? Last Thursday I took mine off the charger at 8:00a.m. and it sat on my desk and didn't even get used once and it completely died by 12:30!!!! After the update Saturday I turned my 4G completely off and now yesterday I took mine off the charger at 8:00a.m. and I still have 50% battery left!? I am thinking that when it searches for 4G/3G it uses HUGE amount of battery? I could be wrong though.
    BostonBeats88 likes this.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    4G is a battery killer,1st day i got the phone (few weeks ago) i had it charged at 100%, went to bed had it off the charger, woke up 6 hours later it was at 12%, since then i turned 4G off and i get 15+ hours a day with my battery, i also ordered 1700 mah batteries off of ebay that dont use the extended cover so that also helps. even if you have a great 4G signal it will still destroy your battery
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    I have had 9.5 hours of 4G since unplug. This includes all the set up after a factory reset and about 8 hours of idling where I got 2 emails and weather check every hour and battery info shows 7/10 bars remaining on the charge. I think a lot does have to do with signal. When I was in Chicago, 4g was wrecking my battery but here in SW Ohio, a much smaller market than Chicago, I am getting a good 10 hours of use on 4g.

    Tip: If you are planning on letting your phone sit around and not really use it for streaming videos or surfing the web (full webpages, not widgets or mobile web), then either go through settings and put in CDMA only or get the 4g LTE On/Off switch on the Market.
  5. #5  
    yodatom10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,050 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    The thundrbolt is a battery sucker I would do the update. As it helped the battery life
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    ppl need to stop saying that battery life is better after the update because it's not for everyone. For some reason all our phones act different. Mine has never rebooted and battery life was great after update it sucks. Even put in a call to HTC. The tech. Was going to transfer me to warranty too see what they could do. But I decided to life with the Devil I know.
    So don't tell me it's great because it's not.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    An update to my original post, I installed the free version of Juice Defender with normal settings and it is acting completely differently. My battery drain is tremendously lower. I am in a 4G area but they must be testing lately. Because, I've been in different 4G areas and not ever had drain like this. Will post updates as I gather more info.
  8. #8  
    yodatom10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,050 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazymac View Post
    An update to my original post, I installed the free version of Juice Defender with normal settings and it is acting completely differently. My battery drain is tremendously lower. I am in a 4G area but they must be testing lately. Because, I've been in different 4G areas and not ever had drain like this. Will post updates as I gather more info.
    The testing might be really hurting the battery.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by baja141 View Post
    ppl need to stop saying that battery life is better after the update because it's not for everyone. For some reason all our phones act different. Mine has never rebooted and battery life was great after update it sucks. Even put in a call to HTC. The tech. Was going to transfer me to warranty too see what they could do. But I decided to life with the Devil I know.
    So don't tell me it's great because it's not.
    Well, my battery life is better so it's not a lie to say that.
    Uptime 10:12
    Awake time 1:10
    Battery 89%
    10 hrs since unplugged
    That 1:10 of awake was some of me playing contract killer, angry birds, text, phone calls, and some web surfing to watch some FSU videos. Granted I have the extended battery but before the update I would be in the low 80's to high 70's range. I'm not bragging and I wish everyone had the same results as me but I think it's ok for people to be happy with their battery life if it's improved since the update and find people on here who are experiencing the same results. Just like the OP posting battery problems in the hopes that someone else has them and is looking for a solution on how they fixed it.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by baja141 View Post
    ppl need to stop saying that battery life is better after the update because it's not for everyone. For some reason all our phones act different. Mine has never rebooted and battery life was great after update it sucks. Even put in a call to HTC. The tech. Was going to transfer me to warranty too see what they could do. But I decided to life with the Devil I know.
    So don't tell me it's great because it's not.
    My battery went from great (off charge at 6:30AM, in the red and asking to be plugged in around 9:00PM) to a hell of a lot worse after the update! (off charge 6:30AM and wanting to be plugged back in at 2:30PM!) The update made things worse for the battery at least for me. In both instances (before and after update) I've had 4G turned off and left all services as is and I used my phone exactly the same before and after, no changes. I am beginning to hate this phone more and more with each update. I'm afraid to wonder what will happen to the phone when the GB update is released!
  11. #11  
    yodatom10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,050 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dmcman73 View Post
    My battery went from great (off charge at 6:30AM, in the red and asking to be plugged in around 9:00PM) to a hell of a lot worse after the update! (off charge 6:30AM and wanting to be plugged back in at 2:30PM!) The update made things worse for the battery at least for me. In both instances (before and after update) I've had 4G turned off and left all services as is and I used my phone exactly the same before and after, no changes. I am beginning to hate this phone more and more with each update. I'm afraid to wonder what will happen to the phone when the GB update is released!
    It seems to be a mix bag I my self saw great improvement but I applyed the full ruu which I think is playing a role in the different user results
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Two weeks ago I made it over 16 hours in a 4g area checking website's, Facebook and text messages. Ever since I can't go 4 hours with even less use. I have not updated yet and I am stock.
  13. #13  
    yodatom10's Avatar

    Posts
    1,891 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,050 Global Posts
    Carrier
    Stock

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by pennywise View Post
    Two weeks ago I made it over 16 hours in a 4g area checking website's, Facebook and text messages. Ever since I can't go 4 hours with even less use. I have not updated yet and I am stock.
    have u installed any new apps. Is there anything strange in the battery use section
    Settings -aboutphone-battery-battery use.
  14. #14  

    Default

    I live in 4G area. Phone unplugged at 99% last night. I leave gps and Bluetooth always active. 4 emails apps active along with 3 weather apps. one of them uses gps. I do have the extended battery. At 83% 7 hours later. It's about the same as my d1. Way better than b4 update.
  15. #15  
    XStroX's Avatar

    Posts
    87 Posts
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Are you only having the battery problems since the latest OTA update?
  16. #16  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Wow I feel bad for you guys dying under 5 hours of usage.. That is terrible..
  17. #17  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    It seems to be a mix bag I my self saw great improvement but I applyed the full ruu which I think is playing a role in the different user results
    Watchdog is a good app to see what is using the juice. You can set alerts for certain triggers.
  18. #18  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yodatom10 View Post
    have u installed any new apps. Is there anything strange in the battery use section
    Settings -aboutphone-battery-battery use.
    Uninstalled anything new. Tried that battery defender and that didn't help. I use task killer but also uninstalled that to see if that helped but didn't make a difference. My display is the major one but I have the setting at 50%. The only thing I saw was uptime is at 249 hours.
  19. #19  
    ScottG's Avatar

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Carrier
    Stock 4.0.2

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    I think the 4 new preloaded Verizon bloatware apps may have something to do with this... my battery has been pretty reasonable (not absolutely fantastic but not terrible either) before and after the update.
  20. Thread Author  Thread Author    #20  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by XStroX View Post
    Are you only having the battery problems since the latest OTA update?
    I haven't done the latest OTA update, since I rooted to remove some of the verizon bloatware. I'm running the stock OS, and with it rooted, previously, I could get 15ish hours on 4G in my neighborhood, but in the past week, it's dropped to 3.5 hours of total run time if I'm lucky.

    I've loaded both Juice Defender and Watchdog today, per people's recommendations, and will charge & bump charge tonight, and start the monitoring first thing in the AM. I've actually alternated back and forth between JuiceDefender and WatchDog, to try and get enough data on both. When Juice Defender is on, my battery life is incredible, but the moment I turn it off, it goes down at a ridiculous rate.

    Makes me think "testing the 4G in my area" has something to do with this, or with Vzn's network, because I haven't done anything different, there's nothing appearing in the Battery "what's running" section, and i've turned my display WAY down during the day. And, I've kept an eye on the services and running applications, to look out for out of control apps.

    Will see how tomorrow goes, and thanks to those with assistance and recommendations, but the past several days have been ridiculous.
  21. #21  
    dflores's Avatar

    Posts
    42 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Carrier
    AOKP M3!

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Every time my phone is rebooted, quite a few HTC Sense battery draining widgets start up in the background as services that poll for information and would kill my battery in just a few hours. Even worse, they somehow get rolled into "Android System" when you're looking at your battery usage. Anyway, kill any services that are running and not using (Mobile IM, Skype, City ID, Music Downloader, etc.), and you'll see a huge difference is battery life the next day. I have anyway.
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Juicedefender and set to 3g, unplugged at 7pm. It is now 3:45 ish and my battery just turned yellow. Moderate web browsing, and google+/facebook. If I did 4G and the same use I get 2 hours.
  23. Thread Author  Thread Author    #23  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    Quote Originally Posted by dflores View Post
    Every time my phone is rebooted, quite a few HTC Sense battery draining widgets start up in the background as services that poll for information and would kill my battery in just a few hours. Even worse, they somehow get rolled into "Android System" when you're looking at your battery usage. Anyway, kill any services that are running and not using (Mobile IM, Skype, City ID, Music Downloader, etc.), and you'll see a huge difference is battery life the next day. I have anyway.
    Thanks. I rooted and followed the steps listed in the forums for moving most of the bloatware to a folder on my SD card. It was just the past couple of days where my battery life has gone from almost all day use to a couple of hours before dead.
  24. Thread Author  Thread Author    #24  

    Default Re: Been unplugged off of full charge for 2 hours, battery at 43%

    I've been running Juice Plotter for the past 18 hours or and according to their graph, my battery is discharging at the same rate that it charges. Sad.
  25. Thread Author  Thread Author    #25  

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lazymac View Post
    I've been running Juice Plotter for the past 18 hours or and according to their graph, my battery is discharging at the same rate that it charges. Sad.
    Well, I figured it out. LIVEPROFILE. Was absolutely murdering my battery. Wasn't showing up in the battery settings as having any significant usage or percent. But as soon as I finally killed it, my standby battery usage went from 25% per hour to 3% per hour. Guess I'll just have to miss my blackberry for bbm again...

    Thanks to the guys at juice defender for the diagnostic products.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions