Constantly Losing 4G

JayoxD

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Ever since i got the thunderbolt the 4G kept getting switched on and off every few minutes or so. i figured maybe it was because Rochester,NY has spotty 4G. So back home in NYC the same thing still happens. It's especially frustrating because i have to keep toggling the internet on and off when i'm trying to listen to my streaming radio that gets disconnected every 5 min. forcing me to listen to a minute of commercials when i do get connected again.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Ever since i got the thunderbolt the 4G kept getting switched on and off every few minutes or so. i figured maybe it was because Rochester,NY has spotty 4G. So back home in NYC the same thing still happens. It's especially frustrating because i have to keep toggling the internet on and off when i'm trying to listen to my streaming radio that gets disconnected every 5 min. forcing me to listen to a minute of commercials when i do get connected again.
I'm from rochester to small world. When you lose 4g do u drop down to 3g u can also try downloading the lte switch and then force it into 4g.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
If you're in an area with "spotty" 4G coverage, I'd recommend just locking into 3G to prevent constant switchovers. Not only will it prevent loss of data signal, but save on battery life again.

Reactions: JayoxD

JayoxD

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm from rochester to small world. When you lose 4g do u drop down to 3g u can also try downloading the lte switch and then force it into 4g.

i have lte on/off and i put it on LTE mode and hit enable data connection 100x and it still loses the connection constantly

If you're in an area with "spotty" 4G coverage, I'd recommend just locking into 3G to prevent constant switchovers. Not only will it prevent loss of data signal, but save on battery life again.

i am right now but i prefer the 4g speed much more. i don't mind the battery drain because i have it plugged in constantly.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
i have lte on/off and i put it on LTE mode and hit enable data connection 100x and it still loses the connection constantly

i am right now but i prefer the 4g speed much more. i don't mind the battery drain because i have it plugged in constantly.
If you have it forced in 4g when you hit a dead spot u will lose the connection. Did u do the last update u could also take it Verizon and see if they 'will give you a new phone

Reactions: JayoxD

JayoxD

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
If you have it forced in 4g when you hit a dead spot u will lose the connection. Did u do the last update u could also take it Verizon and see if they 'will give you a new phone

i didn't get the update yet. i've been trying but it hasn't been showing up.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I think it's painfully obvious that you got a defective phone. If yo've had it less than 14-days, tell them to give you a brand new one. If you've had it longer than that, tell them to send you a CLNR (certified like new replacement). They will want you to do a hard reset first, and probably replace the SIM card, but assuming neither of those things do not fix the issue, just get another phone. Your current phone is unusable in my opinion. Good luck!

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I think it's painfully obvious that you got a defective phone. If yo've had it less than 14-days, tell them to give you a brand new one. If you've had it longer than that, tell them to send you a CLNR (certified like new replacement). They will want you to do a hard reset first, and probably replace the SIM card, but assuming neither of those things do not fix the issue, just get another phone. Your current phone is unusable in my opinion. Good luck!

Also when u call tell them you already did the hard reset and sin pull. Saves u time and gets you your new phone faster.

JayoxD

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

it is pretty unusable. i had it since may. i just assumed my phone had awful reception at my dorm, but it does the same in NYC for god sakes. i just never noticed because i don't stream much. are you positive that this can't be fixed by the update? or by flashing?

it would suck to go through the process of getting another phone. i already have skin on it that i paid for. do they ship me the phone first? this blowsssssss.

gmm6797

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I know I am a little late to this conversation, but I am in Rochester as well, and been fighting with Verizon for close to a month now over this same issue.
Bought my TB the day it came out, and it has been harder and harder to get a 4G lock.
I am on my 2nd TB and both the original (old SW) and new (current SW as of last Friday) both have the same issue.
My 2 cents, we all need to keep calling and complaining, because this has to be a local network issue.

I live 1 mile from my closest tower in Greece and can see the red light at night, and still face this same issue whether in the house or outside.

Feel free to PM me if you want to know more

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I know I am a little late to this conversation, but I am in Rochester as well, and been fighting with Verizon for close to a month now over this same issue.
Bought my TB the day it came out, and it has been harder and harder to get a 4G lock.
I am on my 2nd TB and both the original (old SW) and new (current SW as of last Friday) both have the same issue.
My 2 cents, we all need to keep calling and complaining, because this has to be a local network issue.

I live 1 mile from my closest tower in Greece and can see the red light at night, and still face this same issue whether in the house or outside.

I'm in victor and have 4G but I'm sure when I get home ill lose 4G

JayoxD

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site

i go to school at the university of rochester. i'm currently back home in nyc and i still get the same problem. i'm honestly not sure if it's the phone or the thunderbolt is just really bad at switching between 4g and 3g.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
My tb was on 4G all the time when at home b4 the last update. I noticed now it often switches down to 3G. My 4G Sig at home used to be 5 bars. Now it's 2. Again, no idea why.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site

I'm also in the Rochester area, but on the east side. Fairport to be exact. Virtually nothing has changed since the MR2 update. Solid 4G LTE at my house and roughly 2 to 3 bars most times.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm also in the Rochester area, but on the east side. Fairport to be exact. Virtually nothing has changed since the MR2 update. Solid 4G LTE at my house and roughly 2 to 3 bars most times.

ok thats not right im also in fairport but my 4g is not very strong.

Sentrix

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
ok thats not right im also in fairport but my 4g is not very strong.

Depends on the area I suppose. Most roads and what not around the Fairport/Perinton area have solid 4G but I have lost it and dropped to 3G on a few occasions. There are some specific roads and neighborhoods were I tend to drop to 3G, just not mine. In fact, when I go to my local Chinese restaurant I drop to 1X. lol

gmm6797

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I was in Southern FL in June for 4 days, and same problems that I have here in ROC.

And since the upgrade, the only changes I have seen, is the new 3G icon and my battery life is marginally better.

The phone, IMHO, has some sort of a flaw (as most do), but at least with my 6800, TouchPro and TouchPro2 I had no problems keeping the 3G signal...

By far the biggest issues with this phone is its radio and is lack of an ability to lock on and stay in data service. Thankfully, my only voice issues were for a day or two months ago and seem to have been a fluke