Anyone Get The TBolt PowerSkin Yet?

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday, haven't had enough time to determine how the battery life is, but the thing is pretty massive. Don't know if or by how much it's thicker than the extended battery with a case, though.

I go back and forth between keeping it and sending it back, and instead getting an extended battery and a case. At the end of the day I think I'll be keeping the PowerSkin because 1) it's an overall cheaper solution (pre-order was $49.99 with free shipping, and another 10% off with a coupon code) and when I don't need the extra battery power I can just take off the Skin and use my old case, car dock, etc. without having to turn off the phone, take out the extended battery and put in the normal battery. So the price plus compatibility may make me keep it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I got mine yesterday, haven't had enough time to determine how the battery life is, but the thing is pretty massive. Don't know if or by how much it's thicker than the extended battery with a case, though.

I go back and forth between keeping it and sending it back, and instead getting an extended battery and a case. At the end of the day I think I'll be keeping the PowerSkin because 1) it's an overall cheaper solution (pre-order was $49.99 with free shipping, and another 10% off with a coupon code) and when I don't need the extra battery power I can just take off the Skin and use my old case, car dock, etc. without having to turn off the phone, take out the extended battery and put in the normal battery. So the price plus compatibility may make me keep it.

Anyone else have any thoughts?
i pre order one and used it for a couple of days and then sent it back.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... Anyone else have any thoughts?
I decided to pass because of the size and it just seemed too expensive for an additional 1500 mAh. Since it is recharging the stock battery there will be losses as well. Other battery recharging batteries I have tried seemed to function around 60% efficiency. Maybe PowerSkin anticipated that and made the battery larger??? An interesting test would be to drain your stock battery as far as your comfortable, note the battery level, turn off your phone, add the PowerSkin charging case, recharge until its battery is depleted, remove, restart the phone and tell us how far the phone's battery was recharged. Ideally, the PowerSkin would not be depleted before the ThunderBolt is fully recharged. If so, that might explain the bulk.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
i pre order one and used it for a couple of days and then sent it back.

Disregarding the fact that they just starting shipping the TBolt one on Friday, which means there simply wasn't enough time for you to use it for a "couple of days" and then send it back, why did you send it back?

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
I decided to pass because of the size and it just seemed too expensive for an additional 1500 mAh. Since it is recharging the stock battery there will be losses as well. Other battery recharging batteries I have tried seemed to function around 60% efficiency. Maybe PowerSkin anticipated that and made the battery larger??? An interesting test would be to drain your stock battery as far as your comfortable, note the battery level, turn off your phone, add the PowerSkin charging case, recharge until its battery is depleted, remove, restart the phone and tell us how far the phone's battery was recharged. Ideally, the PowerSkin would not be depleted before the ThunderBolt is fully recharged. If so, that might explain the bulk.

I'll try this out. The losses might explain why they put in a 1500 mAh battery when the stock battery is 1350.

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Disregarding the fact that they just starting shipping the TBolt one on Friday, which means there simply wasn't enough time for you to use it for a "couple of days" and then send it back, why did you send it back?
I saw where one guy received his TB PowerSkin on Thursday. They had a pre-order program, which I assume was first-come, first-served.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I saw where one guy received his TB PowerSkin on Thursday. They had a pre-order program, which I assume was first-come, first-served.
i also got mine on thursday and boxed it up and will go in the mail tommrow. i sent it back because i missed being able to use my otterbox and was not willing to lose the protection for the ussabilty

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site

Did a modified version of this and got quite impressive results. Depleted the phone's battery entirely. Hooked up the powerskin, let it charge for a couple of minutes, powered the phone on and let it recharge. Gave out at about 85%, and when it was recharging the Battery Monitor Widget was saying it was charging at almost 700 mAh. Seems like it's a useful tool to hold on to.