I restarted my TB today to avoid the firmware update!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
At some point during the day, I turned on my Thunderbolt, and was surprised to see that it was in the middle of doing a firmware update. Without my knowledge and consent! So what did I do? A soft reset in the middle of the update! I checked my Mobile Hotspot afterwards, and guess what? It still works for free! Haha! I know I'm only prolonging the inevitable.

Edwill86

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
well just be on the look out for extra charge on your bill. VZW is not in the habit of letting ppl cheat them out of more money,
(no matter how wrong I think paying extra to share data you already pay for with another device is, but thats another story.) :p

good luck.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Prepare to be flamed brother. I encourage you to read my post entitled "VZW force pushing firmware update". A very vocal opposition is out there against folks like me and you.

yodatom10

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
At some point during the day, I turned on my Thunderbolt, and was surprised to see that it was in the middle of doing a firmware update. Without my knowledge and consent! So what did I do? A soft reset in the middle of the update! I checked my Mobile Hotspot afterwards, and guess what? It still works for free! Haha! I know I'm only prolonging the inevitable.

As I said earlier in another thread the only way to win this up hill battle is by rooting it. And if you contine to stop the phone from updating and use the hot spot Verizon will get the last laugh when they bill u for all the data used and more then likely a fine to go with it. But if you want to test your luck more power to u but u have been warned

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Be careful, the Phone Police will come and arrest you.:)

I was envisioning Verizon teaming up with the Smurfs. Verizon markets their upcoming movie through bloatware and the smurfs upgrade your firmware at night while you are sleeping to apply smurf bloatware and eliminate my free hotspots.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I know any day now my Mobile Hotspot will end its free trial. So be it, I already know it will happen. The truth is, I've only used the Hotspot feature a grand total of maybe 6 to 8 times the entire time I've had it. The majority of the time was just for fun to test the hotspot feature. I actually don't really need this function the majority of the time, because I have the internet at work and home. I read in another post that Verizon is offering $30 unlimited monthly Mobile Hotspot for users prior to July 7, so if that's true, I may be tempted to sign up. The reason I may sign up for this is because I may buy a new Android tablet soon, and want my Thunderbolt to be used for the tablet to access the internet while on the road.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Verizon xoom owners are still waiting for a 4G upgrade, meanwhile my wifi xoom has been running 4G since early April, thanks to the hotspot. Plus, my data is unlimited.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Verizon xoom owners are still waiting for a 4G upgrade, meanwhile my wifi xoom has been running 4G since early April, thanks to the hotspot. Plus, my data is unlimited.

The Verizon Motorola Xoom with its alleged 4G ability is a disappointment. If the 4G actually works right now, that would be great, but when will it arrive? Actually I was at Best Buy today and looking closely at the new Samsung 10" tablet (wifi only) plus the Toshiba Thrive tablet (wifi only). I like the Samsung for its very thin and lightweight design, but alas, it has zero outlet ports (eg: USB, memory card slot, HDMI, etc). But the Toshiba Thrive with its extra thickness and weight has all types of built in outlets. So I'm imagining that my Thunderbolt with its Mobile Hotspot will one day provide 4G internet access to whichever tablet I finally decide to get.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Two batteries drinking with hotspot providing data to the XOOM. I like the 3G on my XOOM just fine. Hotspot isn't a big deal to me.

I have 3 batteries for this phone. 2 standard HTC batteries and a seidio 1600. I also have the desktop battery charger at work, so the battery draining from using the hotspot has not impacted me at all. Sad that I can get through all three batteries in a day, but its been a great solution for me.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have 3 batteries for this phone. 2 standard HTC batteries and a seidio 1600. I also have the desktop battery charger at work, so the battery draining from using the hotspot has not impacted me at all. Sad that I can get through all three batteries in a day, but its been a great solution for me.

Seems like we all have the same battery disease! :) I just bought my 2nd HTC 2750 Mah extended battery, in addition to having 3 stock HTC batteries, plus multiple AC charges and car adapters. Sick I know!! I almost bought the wireless charging pad too, but unfortunately, they don't make a special back that fits the extended battery with the case to work with the charging pad.

weave majjik

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Seems like we all have the same battery disease! :) I just bought my 2nd HTC 2750 Mah extended battery, in addition to having 3 stock HTC batteries, plus multiple AC charges and car adapters. Sick I know!! I almost bought the wireless charging pad too, but unfortunately, they don't make a special back that fits the extended battery with the case to work with the charging pad.
I personally despise extended batteries. I realize its function over form, but I don't like my ladies or my phones fat :D

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Okay everyone, here's an update:

Today this morning, I noticed my TB was in the middle of another firmware update attempt. This time I thought to myself, oh h@ll, just let it go through, so I did. Actually, the update didn't seem to work the first time, as I got an error message. So I manually went ahead and did the firmware update on my own, and even still it took 3 attempts until the update finally went through. Sure enough, I went to my Mobile Hotspot app, which changed to a different color of red, and got an error message that I need to call 800-256-4646 to subscribe to add this service.

So I called that number, and got a rep on the phone. I told the rep that I had read a posting on AndroidCentral.com that it would cost me $30 for UN-limited Hotspot Mobile tethering, as opposed to $30 for only 2GB. The rep was like, really? Hmm, you read that on what blog site?!? I haven't heard of such a thing. After a minute of searching his notes, he came back on the line and said, what do you know, you're right! Based on a Verizon internal memo dated 7/13/2011, the pricing is $30 monthly for unlimited tethering. Since I got my Thunderbolt phone the first day it came on the market, I was entitled to this. I don't about new customers, I'm guessing maybe not. So after I gave the rep the green light to add Mobile Hotspot tethering to my account, literally within seconds my Mobile Hotspot was activated and working! Woohoo! Now that I have this service, I plan to use this for whatever Android tablet I end up buying. This also means I don't need to get a separate internet plan for the tablet, since I will use my Thunderbolt for tethering to the tablet for internet access while on the road. Or if I'm at home, I would use my Comcast wireless router.

By the way, has anyone else noticed that this firmware update is pretty much useless without any difference, other than turning off the Mobile Hotspot free feature? I notice some minor cosmetic changes, such as a larger bolder "3G" symbol when in 3G mode. Plus I now have a useless new Verizon widget that tells me how much data I've used. Other than these items mentioned, I haven't noticed any improvement or any new cool features whatsoever. But then again, my Thunderbolt was working pretty well without issues prior to this latest firmware update. Oh well, whaaaaaatever!!

Okay, that's my update for everyone! -Casey

robrecht

Pretty good member
Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
... By the way, has anyone else noticed that this firmware update is pretty much useless without any difference, other than turning off the Mobile Hotspot free feature? I notice some minor cosmetic changes, such as a larger bolder "3G" symbol when in 3G mode. Plus I now have a useless new Verizon widget that tells me how much data I've used. Other than these items mentioned, I haven't noticed any improvement or any new cool features whatsoever. But then again, my Thunderbolt was working pretty well without issues prior to this latest firmware update. Oh well, whaaaaaatever!!

Okay, that's my update for everyone! -Casey
The update has pretty well fixed the reboots for most of the people who did have this problem. For some, it was a pretty serious problem. A couple of other fixes for very minor issues, not even worth mentioning here. But the reboots was the main issue. Most people did not have this problem.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kemberley1