Great app to use while Driving! - Dial Pad in Landscape Mode! :)

SMD

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Every once in a while I come across an app that makes me happy. I'm not rooted and I don't use a different launcher so I'm excited when I find things that make my stock TB shine. So I felt I should share...

Since I live in LA and drive around in traffic a lot while using my phone I always hated not having the numbers I dial, etc. in landscape mode. Since I use a basic vent/phone holder (Bracketron Grip-it) I decided to look for a car dock app and came across an old post mentioning the CarHome Ultra app so I gave it a try....

I LOVE IT!!!

I find it to be MUCH better than the built in car dock (Car Panel) that comes with the TB (its activated by using the HTC car dock). Why? Carhome Ultra is fully customizable! And its FREE! Well, okay, free for 30 days but then its like $1.99 after that which is worth it for me since I drive around so much.

Here are a few features that I like:

1) It allows the number dialer and phone history, etc. to work in landscape mode! PRICELESS!

2) The big icons are all customizable, meaning you can put whatever apps/speed dial/shortcuts, etc you want in there and they are BIG and easy to tap when driving! You get 3 pages of 6 icons! (I suggest having the "Phone" app as one of the front 6 buttons since that brings up the dialer...its listed as an app. I also recommend selecting the "Home Launcher" as one of the front 6 for easy access back to your home screen if necessary)

3) In addition to the front 6 big buttons that you get to choose, you have 2 more pages of 6 buttons for an easy access to other apps/speed dial/shortcuts.

4) At first I thought it was lame, but then I started driving and found to love that the speed of your car is accurately displayed on the home screen as well as your direction and current city with weather. Don't see the point in the fact that you can touch it and it speaks your speed/weather but hey, why not.

5) You can set it so that when you turn on your bluetooth device, this app is started and when you turn off your bluetooth device (which I do when I leave my car) this app is closed out.

6) You can set it so that it turns off wifi when the app starts and turns it back on when the app closes out (if you keep your wifi on). I like that!

7) I emailed the developer about something and he responded. I always like that.

No doubt some of you may have heard of this app, but for people like me who spend hours in their car, an old post made my life just a little bit easier and so I figured I'd reach out and spread the word again. Enjoy! :)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member