Proposed Class Action Settlement Concerning America's Choice II

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI.

Proposed Class Action Settlement Concerning America's Choice II Customers.

https://www.cowitsettlement.com//Default.aspx

---------------------

Important Notice from Verizon Wireless

If you subscribed to Verizon Wireless's America's Choice II calling plans, you could receive benefits from a class action settlement.

Para ver este aviso en espa?ol, visita www.cowitsettlement.com

A proposed settlement has been reached with Verizon Wireless ("Verizon Wireless") in a class action, Cowit, et al., v. Cellco Partnership d/b/a Verizon Wireless, No. A0505869 (Ct. of Common Pleas,Hamilton County, Ohio), related to a lawsuit about whether Verizon Wireless failed to provide roaming service without any roaming charges under the America's Choice II Calling Plan. Verizon Wirelessdenies all of the claims.
WHO IS INCLUDED? The Settlement Class includes all current and former customers of Verizon Wireless who, since February 21, 2005, subscribed to its America's Choice II Calling Plan. If you are a member of the Settlement Class, you have certain rights and options, such as submitting a claim for benefits, requesting exclusion from the settlement, or objecting to the settlement.
SETTLEMENT BENEFITS. In summary, current Verizon Wireless customers whose calling plan provides for a specific allowance of minutes as part of their monthly access fee automatically will receive 25 additional wireless calling minutes, which they can use for a period of one year, or, in the alternative, if these class members submit a Claim Form they can receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international long distance calls. Current Verizon Wireless customers whose calling plan provides for an unlimited number of minutes as part of the monthly access fee will automatically, without filing a Claim Form, receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international calls. Former Verizon Wireless customers must submit a Claim Form to receive a transferable PIN for 40 calling units, which will be valid for 24 months, that can be used to make domestic or international calls. You can submit your claim online at www.cowitsettlement.com or by mail. The claim deadline is November 8, 2011.
As part of the settlement, Class Counsel will submit a request for attorneys' fees, expenses, and incentive awards for the Class Representatives as more fully set forth in the Full Notice described below which will be paid by Verizon Wireless and will not affect the benefits to the class under the Settlement.
OTHER OPTIONS. If you do not want to be legally bound by the settlement, you must exclude yourself by September 27, 2011. If you stay in the Settlement Class, you may object to the settlement, the attorneys' fees or the incentive payments by September 27, 2011. The Full Notice includes complete information on how to request exclusion or object to the settlement. The Court will hold a hearing on October 28, 2011, to consider whether to approve the settlement and the request by Class Counsel for attorneys' fees and incentive payments.
THIS IS ONLY A SUMMARY NOTICE. A more complete description of this class action and proposed settlement, including how to exclude yourself from the class, claim benefits, or object to the settlement, is contained in the Full Notice. You may review the Full Notice at www.cowitsettlement.com, or send a written request for a copy to: Verizon Wireless America's Choice II Litigation, c/o Epiq Systems, Claims Administrator, P.O. Box 3967, Portland, Oregon 97208-3967, or call 1-866-408-4551.

? 2011 Verizon Wireless

---------------------

-Frank

Last edited:

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Proposed Class Action Settlement Concerning America's Choice

What exactly qualifies as an American Choice II calling plan? I'm on a 450 Minute plan (with friends and family) and I highly doubt that's included. Not like it matters, just curious.

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site

Don;t you love "Class Action" Lawsuits?

The Lawyers make all the money and we (the little people) get a few free minutes of calls... Sad but Funny

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site

Don;t you love "Class Action" Lawsuits?

The Lawyers make all the money and we (the little people) get a few free minutes of calls... Sad but Funny

The system works!... well... for the rich.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

What exactly qualifies as an American Choice II calling plan? I'm on a 450 Minute plan (with friends and family) and I highly doubt that's included. Not like it matters, just curious.

America's Choice II was a group of price plans previous to the Nationwide plans, which most notably billed data as MOU (minutes of use) instead of by megabytes until shortly before the plans were discontinued. They were discontinued when the Nationwide Basic (talk), Select (talk+text), Connect (talk+text+data), and Premium (talk+text+data+optional subscription services like VZ Nav) plans were introduced like 3 years ago? I think?

The current group of plans are the Nationwide "Talk" or "Talk & Text", denoting whether or not unlimited text messaging is included.

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I've been with VZW since they were Airtouch. They were the first with a "true" no roaming plan, which is why I went with them all those years ago, after (then) BellSouth Mobility wouldn't match their plan. So I happily went from AMPS/TDMA to CDMA. T-Mobile (Voice Stream) was just getting started, and Sprint PCS was "no roaming" as long as you were on Sprint.

So along the way, almost certainly, I have been on the America's Choice plan. While we can all decry what Class Actions have become, at least I'll get something useful out of this one. The last VZW Class action got us 2 cheap wired earbuds, and I needed an adapter to use it with my phone at the time (GZ-1 Type V).

If I hadn't switched, I might now be with AT&T, and not enjoying the LTE experience.

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site

I have to think the wired earbuds had more value than an extra 24 minutes...

Unobtanium

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

No. It was a mono Verizon branded ear bud / Mic. Probably cost less than $1.00 to make. I think the settlement even said the retail value was under $3.00. When we went to smartphones, we cut back our plan voice minutes, because we had been under 500 a month for four months. Now some folks have become chatty and we are bumping the 700.