Battery charge up time?

DaRkL3AD3R

Jul 17, 2010
Visit site
I'm on the 2750mah extended and it takes roughly 4 hours flat from absolute dead shut-down on its own, to 100%.

It's odd though how at 99% it literally takes a half hour to get that final %. I know it slows down, but damn that much? Should really take like 3.5 hours to full charge my extended by that last damn % just won't budge :p

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
This is normal, it goes maximum charge of about 840ma until about 80 to 85%, then it slowly tapers to 50ma when it is full. Btw, the stock charger cable lists 4 hours standard, 5 hours extended. They probably gave a safe number, including some usage during charging.

I'm on the 2750mah extended and it takes roughly 4 hours flat from absolute dead shut-down on its own, to 100%.

It's odd though how at 99% it literally takes a half hour to get that final %. I know it slows down, but damn that much? Should really take like 3.5 hours to full charge my extended by that last damn % just won't budge :p

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

That is fairly normal, but you may want to look at trying a heavier gauge wire USB cable. You may have a lot of voltage drop making it really slow as the battery voltage goes up close to the charger voltage.

CrotchBat

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
1%/minute for first 90% or so then it slows down and takes 45-60 minutes for the last 10%. I bet on average I charge for 90 minutes a day and that's always enough to get me through my day and then some.

rcpa

Aug 16, 2010
Visit site
Ok... I'm averaging around 4-4.5 hours... I thought that was kind of abnormal...

Make sure you are using a 1 amp charger or it will take longer. The Thunderbolt came with a 1 Amp charger. My original droid, and I think my wife's DINC2, only came with a 850 mA charger. My bluetooth headset charger is only 500 mA. The bluetooth headset charger will charge the phone just fine, but it takes longer than the charger that came with the phone.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Make sure you are using a 1 amp charger or it will take longer. The Thunderbolt came with a 1 Amp charger. My original droid, and I think my wife's DINC2, only came with a 850 mA charger. My bluetooth headset charger is only 500 mA. The bluetooth headset charger will charge the phone just fine, but it takes longer than the charger that came with the phone.

I intentionally use a slow charger at night.
It is fast enough to reach 100% overnight, and the battery/phone will stay cooler. The battery will last a lot longer that way.

I need over 5 hours of beauty rest anyway. :D

jstewart0131

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I tested charging this morning. My phone died overnight and I plugged it in at 8:20am. I just checked a little bit ago and I show 100% charge as of 10:50am. That's 2.5 hours from dead as a door nail to 100% charge. Not too shabby if you ask me. This is with a 1amp wall charger. As others have stated, the charger really slows down at 90%+ charge, which is just the design of the battery and circuitry behind it to protect the battery.

Jodiuh

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Ok, something is very very wrong on my bolt then cause I just watched it go from dead to 88 in just over an hour. I'm using CM7 1.6.1 and KangBang's BFS 1.0 Kernel.

Ideas? Now that I think about it, it's always charged about as fast on CM7. And my battery's always been garbage on CM7 too...hmmm.

defcon999

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
It's odd though how at 99% it literally takes a half hour to get that final %. I know it slows down, but damn that much?

I had the same issue, I had a Battery monitor that puts the % on the top. It sometimes hangs at 99% for over and hour. So, I just power off the phone and when it comes back on, it is at 100%. I don't know if it ithe monitoring app or a software issue.

Also, if you didn't know this, go to MENU --> Power --> Fast Boot. It will boot your phone from off (POWER OFF) to home screen in less than a min. (more like about 20 seconds.

worwig

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Would there be any benefit or detrement to using a 1.5 or 2A wall charger?

No change. The charge rate is limited by the phone. If it thinks it is on a PC USB port, it will slow charge at up to around 350ma. If it thinks it is on a high rate charger, it will charge at up to around 850ma.
If the cables are thin or the connectors are in poor shape, it may be much less.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleezzyy21