If the Droid Bionic is as good as advertised...

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Also, I like my unlimited data... If you switch, you automatically go to tiered. I'll wait, (might end up switching companies if they are still on this data cap nonsense.) I still have a year and a half of unlimited so... My choice is already made for me. I use around 4-6gb/mo, my son uses 6-8gb/mo, my niece uses 2-4gb/mo, and I'm the only one on me plan with 4g...

As long as you have an unlimited data plan now.. you are grandfathered in. If you switch devices, renew your contract, switch from a 3G device to a 4G device... you will keep the unlimited data plan.
Tiered prices only affect new lines being activated/added to your Verizon account after July 7th.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
The better hardware still is not enough to make me ever want MotoBLUR. I chose the Thunderbolt carefully knowing what the Bionic would bring. I will wait for HTC to bring its own dual or quad core LTE phone to Verizon.

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
The Bionic has been set back to many times because of issues and that cant be good and now it may be extended again for a bit for who know what this time... I do not see that device not being a issue device, I went ahead and got the TB and haven't experienced any of the issues that has been reported.

I guess I have been a lucky one because I havent had a problem device since I left WM devices.

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I haven't decided what to switch to, yet. What I do know is that I want the TB to be gone. The constant reboots and other issues has left me chomping at the bit to get rid of it. Problem right now is that I'm not seeing one that I like good enough to pay full price for it. The Charge is a little enticing but its a Samsung (nuff said), the Bionic sounds good and I had a Droid X that was a good phone except for motoblur.

Even more, I'm sick of VZW constantly taking away perks, no more NE2, shorter time to return phones and now tiered data. Yeah, I know, I'm grandfathered, but what if I want a new line?

So right now I'm just kicking back and seeing what is upcoming in the next few months and also figuring out if I really want to stay with Verizon anymore.

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I just like the looks and feel of Motorola better as well as the lack of a need for a hump back battery. I like the multi-color leds, the louder ring, the stronger vibrate, the brighter lights on the bottom keys, etc. All I would want is a 4G Droid with more RAM and a faster processor.

How much $$$ is VZW going to kill me for to return my tb and buy a bionic?

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I just like the looks and feel of Motorola better as well as the lack of a need for a hump back battery. I like the multi-color leds, the louder ring, the stronger vibrate, the brighter lights on the bottom keys, etc. All I would want is a 4G Droid with more RAM and a faster processor.

How much $$$ is VZW going to kill me for to return my tb and buy a bionic?

You can't just return it once you're passed the 14 day trial period. If you don't have an upgrade available, you'll have to pay full retail price for the Bionic. Once you do that, you can just deactivate your Thunderbolt and sell it.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
The Bionic has been set back to many times because of issues and that cant be good and now it may be extended again for a bit for who know what this time... I do not see that device not being a issue device, I went ahead and got the TB and haven't experienced any of the issues that has been reported.

I guess I have been a lucky one because I havent had a problem device since I left WM devices.

That's my thought as well. Seems hard for me to believe that the Bionic won't have issues that rival those that the Thunderbolt has had.

For me, I got my Thunderbolt in March just after the launch date, and I've had a VERY POSITIVE experience with mine, so trading it in for a different device seems kinda crazy to me...but to each his own I guess, I know some people like to have the "latest and greatest"

Here are some things that, off the top of my head, I personally would need to consider first before getting the Bionic...

- What kind of issues is this device gonna have, especially given the uniqueness of the hardware and all of the set backs it has had in production?
- Can it be rooted, bootloader unlocked, developer support?
- How does the battery life compare to that of the Thunderbolt?

Even if I was unhappy with my Thunderbolt, there's almost no way I'd be an early adopter of a device like this...remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Just my 2?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
You can't just return it once you're passed the 14 day trial period. If you don't have an upgrade available, you'll have to pay full retail price for the Bionic. Once you do that, you can just deactivate your Thunderbolt and sell it.

I thought there was an additional penalty on top of paying retail for the new phone? Well, retail for the bionic could be over a grand I suppose and I can't afford that. You know I have a family plan.....maybe it would be cheaper to just add another line?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
That's my thought as well. Seems hard for me to believe that the Bionic won't have issues that rival those that the Thunderbolt has had.

For me, I got my Thunderbolt in March just after the launch date, and I've had a VERY POSITIVE experience with mine, so trading it in for a different device seems kinda crazy to me...but to each his own I guess, I know some people like to have the "latest and greatest"

Here are some things that, off the top of my head, I personally would need to consider first before getting the Bionic...

- What kind of issues is this device gonna have, especially given the uniqueness of the hardware and all of the set backs it has had in production?
- Can it be rooted, bootloader unlocked, developer support?
- How does the battery life compare to that of the Thunderbolt?

Even if I was unhappy with my Thunderbolt, there's almost no way I'd be an early adopter of a device like this...remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Just my 2?

I'd just as soon it can't be rooted so Motorola is harassed by more users if there are issues. Obviously, I dont root. I suspect the time will come in which you won t have a root option on any new phones.

I like little things Motorola gives me like multi-color leds, brighter touch keys on the bottom, stronger vibration, and a ringtone that is loud enough for me to hear in a noisy place.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
I'd just as soon it can't be rooted so Motorola is harassed by more users if there are issues. Obviously, I dont root. I suspect the time will come in which you won t have a root option on any new phones.

I like little things Motorola gives me like multi-color leds, brighter touch keys on the bottom, stronger vibration, and a ringtone that is loud enough for me to hear in a noisy place.

Well, being able to get root and have an unlocked bootloader allow developers (and thus vicariously rooted users) to dianose and fix their own problems, rather than wait for Motorola or Verizon to do it...along with all of the other advantages.

HTC, which had started shipping all phones (inc. the Thunderbolt) with locked bootloaders, has since publically said that due to overwhelming user feedback they will no longer be locking bootloaders...so I wouldn't be to sure about that either.

If you prefer the Motorola hardware, however, that's cool. I personally do not, but I got a chance to play with my sister's new D3 this weekend, and it's a decent phone for sure.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I am just curious how you know with any certainty that the vibration and ringer will be any improvement at this stage? If a test model appears one way (which there has been no actual test models demoed to the public since the OMAP replaced the Tegra 2 processor), there is never a guarantee that is what your experience will be... you have been warned. lol

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site

The fun part of always wanting the latest and greatest ... by the time it gets here, there's already a new Latest and Greatest right around the corner.

I wanted the Bionic ever since they announced it at CES. I was a T-Mobile customer who wasn't about to become part of AT&T, so my plan was to jump to VZW as soon as the Bionic was released ... up until they announced tiered data. So I moved up my plans a bit, got a Thunderbolt and truthfully, I've been much happier with it than I thought I would be.

SoDev

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
I know. I kind of posted it in jest. I have a one year contract. Who knows. I could be a Bionic owner come beginning of next year.

SpeedJunkie69

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
The Bionics specs are impressive. But even though it will probably be more powerful than the TB, I won't switch because of my infatuation with HTC Sense. I love pretty much everything about it and see no reason to switch over to Motoblur.

jhimebau

Dec 16, 2009
Visit site
First let me say that I have had no problems with my TB. But then again the title of this thread is "If the Droid Bionic is a good as advertised...". Well for some people "if the HTC ThunderBold is a good as advertised..." but it isn't for some people. What are the odds of the Bionic being any better?

Slim to none.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz