Question about Amazon Market

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
If you uninstall a normally paid app that you downloaded and installed as one of Amazon's daily free app promotions, can you go to Amazon later and install it for free again?

-Frank (sorry, had to ask :) )

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Yes

It is like you bought the app
Thanks. That's great. I didn't think you could. I gotta say, that is real nice of them.

Think I'm gonna ditch Swiftkey until it lets you type initials like:

i.e.
e.g.
A.K.A.
U.S.
U.S.S.R.
U.K.
Ph.D.
M.D.
B.A.
M.A.
D.D.S

It forces a space after every period. Can't stop it.

I put in a bug report on the developers' forum support site. They have a "voting" system. I'm not getting even one vote. I guess I'm the only one in the universe that cares (i.e. they don't care :) ) Note the "i.e." :D

-Frank

dms76

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Thanks. That's great. I didn't think you could. I gotta say, that is real nice of them.

i.e.
e.g.
A.K.A.
U.S.
U.S.S.R.
U.K.
Ph.D.
M.D.
B.A.
M.A.
D.D.S

I put in a bug report on the developers' forum support site. They have a "voting" system. I'm not getting even one vote. I guess I'm the only one in the universe that cares (i.e. they don't care :) ) Note the "i.e." :D

-Frank

I've had other weird problems with Swiftkey like it randomly will back space 1 letter or the input box disappears behind the predictive text. This could be me somehow hitting the back arrow. It doesn't happen with any other keyboard.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

i.e.
e.g.
A.K.A.
U.S.
U.S.S.R.
U.K.
Ph.D.
M.D.
B.A.
M.A.
D.D.S

-Frank

U.S.S.R.! Long live the Soviet Union! haha

Eclipse2K

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You just have to click the menu button and select My Apps within the Amazon App Store. But you probably knew that already, lol.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
You just have to click the menu button and select My Apps within the Amazon App Store. But you probably knew that already, lol.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk.
Actually, you don't. On my phone, I just went to Menu | Settings | Manage Applications and selected Swiftkey and chose Uninstall. Then I went to the Amazon Store and Switfkey is now listed with an [INSTALL] icon rather than an [OPEN] icon. So, all is well. I can reinstall it anytime.

I'm gonna give Swiftkey some time to mature and see what happens. I do like the native HTC keyboard a lot though. Especially the way it allows a lot of direct user control over the dictionary. Swiftkey likes to do the dictionary on its own without direct user manipulation.

-Frank

MikeGeer

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
on the topic of keyboards, i like the default htc sense keyboard EXCEPT one thing: if have caps lock on, and then the keyboard closes (im done texting, filling in the field on a webpage, adding contact info, really anything that uses the keyboard) when the keyboard re-opens (another text message, or text field, email, etc) caps lock is still on and I END UP TEXTING MY FRIEND BACK AND HE THINKS IM YELLING AT HIM, lol. its really annoying because i could be hours between using the kyboard and i forget its on CAPS lock and i dont realize until the text is almost done. can this be fixed? (altho i seriously doubt it)

TIA

-mike

MikeGeer

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
oh, one more thing, the autocorrect - predict - dictionary whatever you call it, is pretty poorly programmed thought out. ive realized if you get the first letter wrong, your screwed. even with a long word like hippopotamus. if u forget the h at the begining or make it a g, it still cant figure it out, thats pretty dumb IMO. typos where u mix up 'i' and 'o' confuse the hell out of it too. i type 'dig' instead of 'dog' but 'dog' isnt one of the autocorrect options. i also found a REALLY weird thing, my friend has a thunderbolt too, but his autocorrect suggestions are different than mine (and im not talking custom words we've added to our dictonaries like wassup etc.) we both open in a text and start typing a word, like 'apple' for instance, but after we both have 'ap' typed so far the autocorrect suggestions are different. i find this baffling EXCEPT is there is some incredibly uber-intellegant program that notices that he talks about medical things a lot and so it suggests 'appendix' and it knows i like food and fruit a lot and it suggests 'applesauce' on my phone. haha, that would be insane tho. just another 2 cents from me. :)

-mike

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
oh, one more thing, the autocorrect - predict - dictionary whatever you call it, is pretty poorly programmed thought out. ive realized if you get the first letter wrong, your screwed. even with a long word like hippopotamus. if u forget the h at the begining or make it a g, it still cant figure it out, thats pretty dumb IMO. typos where u mix up 'i' and 'o' confuse the hell out of it too. i type 'dig' instead of 'dog' but 'dog' isnt one of the autocorrect options. i also found a REALLY weird thing, my friend has a thunderbolt too, but his autocorrect suggestions are different than mine (and im not talking custom words we've added to our dictonaries like wassup etc.) we both open in a text and start typing a word, like 'apple' for instance, but after we both have 'ap' typed so far the autocorrect suggestions are different. i find this baffling EXCEPT is there is some incredibly uber-intellegant program that notices that he talks about medical things a lot and so it suggests 'appendix' and it knows i like food and fruit a lot and it suggests 'applesauce' on my phone. haha, that would be insane tho. just another 2 cents from me. :)

-mike
The HTC keyboard will suggest as auto-corrections, any word you have entered (mistakenly or on purpose) into the dictionary. I.E. (notice, I typed i.e. :) ) Take your "apples example (e.g.); if one person has entered "appstore" into the dictionary and the other person has not, as you start typing "ap", on one persons' phone "appstore" would appear as a suggestion, on the other persons' it would not. Perhaps they would get "appartment", (or "app-store", if they had previously entered this into their personal dictionary using a hyphen). This is by design, and as it should be. This allows you to configure the dictionary to your personal needs. For instance, I have entered "wanna" and "prolly" into mine becuase I like to use those words for kicks in some posts.

As for the caps lock thing you mentioned in the previous post - I like keyboards that stay where you set them. In fact, my pet peeve is when keyboards think they know what you want better than you do (i.e. forcing a space after all periods, as in i. e. ) :)

-Frank

MikeGeer

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
The HTC keyboard will suggest as auto-corrections, any word you have entered (mistakenly or on purpose) into the dictionary. I.E. (notice, I typed i.e. :) ) Take your "apples example (e.g.); if one person has entered "appstore" into the dictionary and the other person has not, as you start typing "ap", on one persons' phone "appstore" would appear as a suggestion, on the other persons' it would not. Perhaps they would get "appartment", (or "app-store", if they had previously entered this into their personal dictionary using a hyphen). This is by design, and as it should be. This allows you to configure the dictionary to your personal needs. For instance, I have entered "wanna" and "prolly" into mine becuase I like to use those words for kicks in some posts.

I know and understand this. But why would his phone suggest a different word than my phone? I'm talking NON-custom dictionary words, like appendix and applesauce. I understand the "wanna" and "prolly" as I have a large custom dictionary (mostly due to my colorful language, haha), which I actually go into often to keep it well 'organized'.

Example: Both 'base' and 'ball' are default words, NOT custom. If we both type 'ba' why would mine suggest 'base' and his suggest 'ball' ??

OH YEAH, and we notice he gets 1 or 2 LESS suggestions than me EVERY time. I just laughed at him and said it was because his phone knows he only has a high school education, but he didn't find it very funny. I'm NOT actually complaining, I'm just saying I find this VERY strange.

As for the caps lock thing you mentioned in the previous post - I like keyboards that stay where you set them. In fact, my pet peeve is when keyboards think they know what you want better than you do (i.e. forcing a space after all periods, as in i. e. )

I agree, and my pet peeve is when ANY technology ASSUMES what you want to do. But heres an example:

I'm texting you: "Frank, come over and have a beer, ITS FOOTBALL TIME!!! WOOOO!!!"
I send, and 30 seconds later my mom texts me: "You wanna come over for dinner?"
I type "NO I DONT WANT TO COME OVER FOR DINNER"...

Now I look and I'm like damnit that isn't supposed to be in all caps, my mom is gonna think I'm being an ass, but i don't want to delete it all and retype it. [PAIN IN THE ASS: HTC -1]

Just a minor problem, I just don't think the keyboard should 'open' in CAPS lock just because I had it on at the end of the previous use.

As you proll noticed in my other post, I have only MINOR complaints- BUT I am super OCD and a perfectionist (except when typing on forums ;)) and small things like that get to me.

Like why is the 'colon' key switch sides when I press '12#' ?? (I understand why, they had to make room for the symbols layout.) I just find it annoying when I want to use a colon I usually long-press the 'period' key, but when I go into 'symbols mode' its out of place on the other side.

Can users use the android SDK to develop keyboard apps?

Btw, thanks for taking the time to read and reply, I'm just kind of complaining about small stuff i know, but I'm just trying to 'perfect' my thunderbolt experience :D

-mike

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm talking NON-custom dictionary words, like appendix and applesauce.
I'm thinking it's the configuration in Menu | Settings | Language and Keyboard | Text Input. Possibly the "include long words" and/or "check spelling before suggesting words", or similar. Also, there's the possibility of the font being larger so fewer words could fit on the screen. Also, have your tried hitting the pull-down arrow next to the up-front suggestions to see all the others?

After trying everything I could think of, including the above, I was unable to duplicate your "Base/Bali" example. I could never get Base or Bali with only two letters ("ba"). But if I pulled down the down-arrow I would see "Base", not "Bali". I had to type "Bal" to finally see "Bali".

-Frank

MikeGeer

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Menu | Settings | Language & Keyboard | Touch Input | Text input

I agree, these settings are probably different on our phones, causing different predictions.
I never noticed the pull down arrow. It's a cool feature!
The words were 'base' and 'ball' (B - A - L - L), and it wasn't those actual words, they were just an example of our phones showing different predictions. I believe the cause is the settings in the above mentioned Menu. Thanks for the help.