Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Doobles
  • 1 Post By Hotweelz
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    Doobles's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Hello Android central Thunderbolt Sub-Forums
    (what a mouthful)
    Anyways I've got a birthday coming up and would like to upgrade my enV touch, now i remember being angry 2 years ago when i got the enV, thinking it was so cool and all, and to have, a month later, the droid and all these other fancy phones come out that made my enV touch hide in shame.

    Now I'm due for an upgrade and want to make sure the same won't happen again.
    So the latest and greatest for me seems to be the thunderbolt, it has everything i want, android OS, a nice camera, its made by HTC and it has 4G.

    So the question is, should I get the thunderbolt now? or is there some new exciting phone coming around the corner that will make my phone VERY obsolete.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    There will always be new phones coming but you are on the edge of a new cycle of phones coming out. SG2, HTC Vigor, Moto Bionic. I'd wait for 1 of those 3.
  3. #3  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Yes. What he said. I would wait for a dual core 4g phone. They should start coming out next month.
  4. #4  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    I'd still consider the thunderbolt, but wait and see the next wave of phones too. Being a first adopter with any technology will have its downsides. I'd wait to see how the new phones are, and take into consideration the T-bolt will probably get a price slash when the other phones are released.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  
    Doobles's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Thanks for the input, guys. Now then, a bit off-hand, but if I were to, ohhhhh say Get the thunderbolt now, is there any kind of policy or loophole that if those fancy new phones come out, I could possibly return my thunderbolt for the HTC vigor, assuming it comes out early-mid september? or maybe if the Tbolt gets a price-slash shortly after I could get some sort of a partial refund?

    Thanks for helping out the noobs!
  6. #6  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Doobles View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Now then, a bit off-hand, but if I were to, ohhhhh say Get the thunderbolt now, is there any kind of policy or loophole that if those fancy new phones come out, I could possibly return my thunderbolt for the HTC vigor, assuming it comes out early-mid september? or maybe if the Tbolt gets a price-slash shortly after I could get some sort of a partial refund?

    Thanks for helping out the noobs!
    You have 14 days to trade it for something different and they don't price match from what I understand. If you bought it through Best Buy, they might do a 30-day price guarantee though, not positive if they do that on cellphones or not.
  7. #7  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Doobles View Post
    Thanks for the input, guys. Now then, a bit off-hand, but if I were to, ohhhhh say Get the thunderbolt now, is there any kind of policy or loophole that if those fancy new phones come out, I could possibly return my thunderbolt for the HTC vigor, assuming it comes out early-mid september? or maybe if the Tbolt gets a price-slash shortly after I could get some sort of a partial refund?

    Thanks for helping out the noobs!

    VZW cut the time from 30 days to 14 and added a stocking fee (read rip-off fee) to discourage just that. One member here was promised a swap then upper management rescinded it. Others have been able to but of course got refurbished (read broken) phones in return.

    That's why I would bide my time if I were you. I leaped for fear of losing unlimited data and will be kicking myself for 2 years because of it.
  8. #8  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    The Thunderbolt will be a HUGE upgrade from the enV.

    Sure, the Bionic is set to drop in September (is it still September?) and of course there are other new phones on the horizon with dual-core processors and such...but of course by the time they come out, there will be rumors about new 5G devices with quad-core processors running Android 4.3 coming out in the near future.

    Am I exaggerating? Yup. But the point is, there will ALWAYS be a better device right around the corner. How long you're willing to wait is up to you, but to me, it's silly to keep waiting and waiting for each new device to come out.

    Having said that, assuming the Bionic/Vigor/SG2 does drop as scheduled, it may actually be advantageous to wait at this point.

    I will say this though...if you were to get a Thunderbolt today, the difference between one of the newer phones coming out would be MUCH less of a step up than an enV touch would have been to the Droid back when you got it a couple of years ago. (In other words, much less a chance for that degree of "buyers remorse").
    Thanked by:
  9. #9  
    BattleSwine's Avatar

    Posts
    356 Posts
    ROM
    unrooted 2.11.605.19

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Quote Originally Posted by paintdrinkingpete View Post
    The Thunderbolt will be a HUGE upgrade from the enV.

    Sure, the Bionic is set to drop in September (is it still September?) and of course there are other new phones on the horizon with dual-core processors and such...but of course by the time they come out, there will be rumors about new 5G devices with quad-core processors running Android 4.3 coming out in the near future.

    Am I exaggerating? Yup. But the point is, there will ALWAYS be a better device right around the corner. How long you're willing to wait is up to you, but to me, it's silly to keep waiting and waiting for each new device to come out.

    Having said that, assuming the Bionic/Vigor/SG2 does drop as scheduled, it may actually be advantageous to wait at this point.

    I will say this though...if you were to get a Thunderbolt today, the difference between one of the newer phones coming out would be MUCH less of a step up than an enV touch would have been to the Droid back when you got it a couple of years ago. (In other words, much less a chance for that degree of "buyers remorse").
    Well said. HTC Thunderbolt is the only phone on VZW that can do voice and 3G data at the same time. While the specs for the HTC Vigor sound great it may not have that.... I haven't seen any leaks about its radio setup. I'm a little afraid it won't... if it did I think it would be Thunderbolt HD or Thunderbolt x2, or something to that effect. I'm looking at Droid to Droid2 to Droid3 / DX to DX2 / DInc to DInc2..... all were refinements mostly SoC (CPU/GPU and sometime dual-core) and screens (res or size some both)..... So it may not be a refinement, but a new design.... could be good or bad.... if it loses simultaneous voice and 3G data it will be bad IMO. My Girl Friend has the enV Touch and while it works for her.... its like stepping back in time for me... my old BB were better, but they don't hold a candle to the Thunderbolt... who knows what will be out by my next upgrade, but I'm very happy with my Thunderbolt. Waiting out for two years is going to be easy.
    LG EnV => BB Storm => BB Bold 9650 => HTC Thunderbolt
    all with extended batteries......
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  
    Doobles's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Thank you all so much for the input, I can already tell I'm going to like this community.
    mclarryjr likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Also keep in mind that the Thunderbolt is almost 6 months old.
  12. #12  
    dogg's Avatar

    Posts
    8 Posts

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    I say you just purchase the thunderbolt. At the rate that mobile technology is moving, there would be no point in waiting. By the time the SG2, HTC Vigor, Motorola Bionic come out, better quad core and HD screen phones will be around the corner. So I guess you could wait, but there will always be a better phone that is waiting to be released.
  13. #13  
    Hotweelz's Avatar

    Posts
    138 Posts
    ROM
    GS3&Razr(stck)Rznd(CR4.5)

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    I was pretty much in the same boat as you are........deciding on wether or not to get Tbolt or wait for something else. I did alot of research on what could be possibly coming out soon. It seems sept may be the earliest that anything new would be coming out, if that even happens. We all know how device launch dates get delayed. So after checking out what was currently available I decided the thunderbolt was the best choice for me. Yes, I know the device has been out for awhile. But it meets my needs. Plus, It seems that there are quite a few talented developers, themers and such for the Thunderbolt. So I think I will be more than happy with my purchase. I think the biggest thing about making your decision would be to ask yourself "Is this the right phone for me?" "Does it have what I need/want?" . Don't worry if its the latest or greatest cause there's always going to be a latest and greatest out there. I wish you well on whatever purchase you make.

    OH, btw I get mine tomorrow and I'm really excited about it!
    Thanked by:
    Cyber Warrior likes this.
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  
    Doobles's Avatar

    Posts
    7 Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hotweelz View Post
    I was pretty much in the same boat as you are........deciding on wether or not to get Tbolt or wait for something else. I did alot of research on what could be possibly coming out soon. It seems sept may be the earliest that anything new would be coming out, if that even happens. We all know how device launch dates get delayed. So after checking out what was currently available I decided the thunderbolt was the best choice for me. Yes, I know the device has been out for awhile. But it meets my needs. Plus, It seems that there are quite a few talented developers, themers and such for the Thunderbolt. So I think I will be more than happy with my purchase. I think the biggest thing about making your decision would be to ask yourself "Is this the right phone for me?" "Does it have what I need/want?" . Don't worry if its the latest or greatest cause there's always going to be a latest and greatest out there. I wish you well on whatever purchase you make.

    OH, btw I get mine tomorrow and I'm really excited about it!
    This is the one that sold me, I'm going with the Tbolt
    Thank you so very much my B-day's on the 16th so I'll get it then
  15. #15  

    Default Re: Should I get the Thunderbolt or...

    You will love the phone as I do. The next Q will be if you wish to root. Doing so will allow you to do even more. Good luck.

Posting Permissions

B