HTC Thunderbolt: Accidentally Deleted Photos From Gallery

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to recover photos accidentally deleted from the gallery? The photos that I'm particularly interested in are "Contact's" pictures, and they still show when I look at my Contacts. Is there a way to copy the Contact's photos back into the gallery?

Last edited by a moderator:

cguella

Aug 18, 2010
Visit site
Re: Accidentally Deleted Photos From Gallery

Is there any way to recover photos accidentally deleted from the gallery? The photos that I'm particularly interested in are "Contact's" pictures, and they still show when I look at my Contacts. Is there a way to copy the Contact's photos back into the gallery?

I don't know about that specifically but I am having photos mysteriously delete themselves randomly soon after being shot. I am pretty sure that I am not doing anything to make it happen and am wondering if anyone is having that happen. To prove I am not crazy I have Google+ installed and it automatically uploads pictures that are taken and that had uploaded a picture I recently cared about that I was unable to later find on the device. Crazy.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

If you really deleted them and do not have a backup, they are gone. There is an off-chance (very off) that if you put the SDcard into a PC you might be able to use a data retrieval program to get them back. But success at this point is very unlikely. When you use the phone you are overwriting old deleted data thereby making it irretrievable.

The thumbnail views you see are probably in the SDcard/DCIM/.thumbnails folder. In the DCIM folder is also the 100MEDIA directory. This is where your full camera images are stored. You might want to check there, manually.

Also, make sure you didn't just accidentally change the gallery settings and possibly didn't delete them at all (i.e. Gallery | Menu | Show/Hide Items.

Note: I would recommend "My Backup Pro" from the Market for the future.

-Frank

Last edited:

my3chis

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I don't know about that specifically but I am having photos mysteriously delete themselves randomly soon after being shot. I am pretty sure that I am not doing anything to make it happen and am wondering if anyone is having that happen. To prove I am not crazy I have Google+ installed and it automatically uploads pictures that are taken and that had uploaded a picture I recently cared about that I was unable to later find on the device. Crazy.

I wonder if Google+ is the issue. I had 2 pictures automatically download to it and they are not in my gallery.

bjboucher

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site

Have you hooked the SD card up to your computer to see if they are still on the card and the phone is just not seeing them?

LessThanAnAndroidNovice

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site

If you really deleted them and do not have a backup, they are gone. There is an off-chance (very off) that if you put the SDcard into a PC you might be able to use a data retrieval program to get them back. But success at this point is very unlikely. When you use the phone you are overwriting old deleted data thereby making it irretrievable.

The thumbnail views you see are probably in the SDcard/DCIM/.thumbnails folder. In the DCIM folder is also the 100MEDIA directory. This is where your full camera images are stored. You might want to check there, manually.

Also, make sure you didn't just accidentally change the gallery settings and possibly didn't delete them at all (i.e. Gallery | Menu | Show/Hide Items.

Note: I would recommend "My Backup Pro" from the Market for the future.

-Frank
Downloaded SDrescan per kissmeimirish's suggestion, and was able to recover 2 photos.

No I didn't have a backup, and I now have My Backup Pro so that it doesn't happen again.

Found the thumbnails in the .thumbnails folder, and the 2 recovered photos in the 100MEDIA folder.

Thanks for your help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome