1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Unhappy SMS App VS. Stock messaging -HELP!

I have had my TB since around March. From the beginning I have not used the stock messaging on it. But rather, I originally began with Handcent, and went to GO. Originally when I had Handcent, I had a problem where I did not receive texts one day, and had to factory reset my phone. BUT still, I went back to Handcent. A month or so later, same thing. Not receiving texts, factory reset yada yada. Finally I switched to GO (which is much better than Handcent imho), but today, the same thing! Not receiving texts, factory reset, and here come my incoming texts that I missed all day. Any opinion what I am doing wrong, or what I should be doing? Or why this is happening? Is the SMS app eating up too much memory on the device? PLEASE, someone help lol. I can't stand just using the stock messaging on it!

Default Re: SMS App VS. Stock messaging -HELP!

I use ChompSMS and it seems to work fairly well for me.
    Robots Will Kill

Global Posts
    11,964 Global Posts

Well, its not the 3rd party apps if you're having the same problem. What happens when you use the stock messaging app? Do you receive the texts?

I would try out the stock message app for a few days and see if you get the same results.... If you do, then at least you know theres something that's wrong with the phone and see if its something Verizon may be able to fix on their end.

Global Posts
    432 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

I've been using Handcent from day 1 and I have not had any problem receiving texts. It can't be the 3rd party apps if you have had the same issue with 2 different ones. I agree with Cyber, try using stock for a while and see what happens. I would also uninstall the 3rd party messaging app while you try out stock. Then reinstall after testing it out a while.

I had the latest problem with Handcent after the latest software update. I could send texts, but not receive them. I did a battery pull and still nothing. Then I did a battery and SIM card pull and finally I started receiving all the texts that people had been sending me and I never got.

So my recommendation is to pull the battery and SIM card and leave them out for several minutes before powering the phone back up.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I've been using the stock now for about 24 hours. The issue seems to happen when I use the SMS apps for a while (a VZW tech told me they were taking up too much memory since it was double the texts coming through, not sure how true that is). I am going to try out the stock for a few weeks I guess and see if I get a problem again with it.

Quote Originally Posted by lauryn316 View Post
    I've been using the stock now for about 24 hours. The issue seems to happen when I use the SMS apps for a while (a VZW tech told me they were taking up too much memory since it was double the texts coming through, not sure how true that is). I am going to try out the stock for a few weeks I guess and see if I get a problem again with it.
    The queue getting full does sound like a pretty good possibility. Next time it happens, don't do a reset, try erasing a bunch of the messages. Do you save a lot of your texts?

Quote Originally Posted by bjboucher View Post
    The queue getting full does sound like a pretty good possibility. Next time it happens, don't do a reset, try erasing a bunch of the messages. Do you save a lot of your texts?
    Wouldn't the already sent messages that are saved/stored just count towards your current "cache" amount and not your outgoing/incoming queue volume? Seems to me that the answer the Verizon rep gave the OP is a cop out....

I meant to answer earlier, but I had all of the problems you described...and I had approximately 8,000 messages saved - every one since launch day, I think. Any way, I deleted most of them and all my text issues were solved.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

The other day when it happened, the day before the app (and stock) kept freezing (I probably had over 6000 texts) so I deleted them all, uninstalled the app and then reinstalled it, and changed the settings to automatically delete the messages when it got to 200. Then the next day is when I had the problem of not receiving them.