Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By zero neck
  • 1 Post By Mortiel
  • 2 Post By SpaceHippie
  • 2 Post By FrankXS
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default What's the easiest way to take off battery door?

Soo....I've had this thing since the very first day it was released and I STILL haven't found a reliable way to take the back off, Because of this, that little space at the top looks terrible because I struggle to take it off.

Yes, it's a good thing because that means it's durable, but jeez! I feel like I'm going to break a finger taking this thing off.
    My Devices:

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
    Apple iPad 3 (soon to be Nexus 7)
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Default Re: What's the easiest way to take off battery door?

Man up
    Haha jk
    Mike_is_Mike likes this.

I read that using a coin and twisting works. I tried. And it helps.

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Place your thumb on the "4G LTE" logo at the bottom of the battery cover, then dig your index finger into the small tab at the top and pull with your index finger while pushing with your thumb.

When replacing the cover, be sure that it is securely in place with no gaps along the edge, as it is part of the antenna.
    Last edited by Mortiel; 08-03-2011 at 01:39 AM.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant
    Mike_is_Mike likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiel View Post
    Place your thumb on the "4G LTE" logo at the bottom of the battery cover, then dig your index finger into the small tab at the top and pull with your index finger while pushing with your thumb.

When replacing the cover, be sure that it is securely in place with no gaps along the edge, as it is part of the antenna.
    I've always used the pry and pray method. Thankfully I don't have to remove it often.
    Journeyman

ROM
    A

Use the simple finger pain and curse method.

Sent from my ThunderBolt using Tapatalk
    Follow me on Twitter: @SpaceHippieSays
    Pretty good member

Global Posts
    917 Global Posts

Insert your thumbnail into the slot at the top and slide it over to the upper left corner of the phone. As you go around the corner, it should start to pop off.

Thanks, Robrecht

Quote Originally Posted by Mortiel View Post

That's the way I do it and it seems to work pretty well. You get better and faster at it the more you practice......I swap out batteries once a day, everyday, so I've gotten pretty good at it.
    Sent from my iMac using my fingers and bluetooth keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by robrecht View Post
    Insert your thumbnail into the slot at the top and slide it over to the upper left corner of the phone. As you go around the corner, it should start to pop off.

Thanks, Robrecht
    OUCH!!!!
    Sent from my iMac using my fingers and bluetooth keyboard.

That way actually works. I've only taken off the cover a handful of times, but I found this way to be the easiest. Doesn't hurt...

Being female & always having a nail file with me, I carefully use the point to insert & twist.

I like using the edge of a credit card.
    Android Guru

Global Posts
    851 Global Posts
    ROM
    Android 4.1.1 Jelly Belly

They should've made it a little more practical

Global Posts
    3,645 Global Posts
    ROM
    Latest OTA Official ROM

Here's how I do it...

-Frank
    [HTC Thunderbolt 4G/LTE!]
    It's not your dream phone. It's the one after that!
    Look here for a [VZW Coverage Map] to check your area. Select 4G before hitting [Refresh]
    zero neck and Mortiel like this.

Global Posts
    1,381 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock/CM

I found myself frustrated for some time with this problem. The trick is to make sure you're not holding the door down while trying to pry it off.

The battery door is the one design aspect I hate about the hardware.

I've never had a problem getting the cover off with just a fingernail, which are always kept very short, even when the phone was new. It comes off a little easier now since I usually swap batteries once a day, less when using the extended battery. I just lay the phone face down on a hard surface with a paper towel underneath to protect the screen from getting scratched. Then use my fingernail at the top with my palm near the 4G LTE symbol and pull the cover up. It snaps right up. Doesn’t hurt my nail at all or put any abnormal wear anywhere on the battery cover.
    Last edited by Synycalwon; 08-03-2011 at 10:33 AM.

Drop it. Works every time for me...j/k. But back flys off every time i drop it...biut fights me every inch of the way when try 2 rmv it.
    Themer

ROM
    dasBAMF

Easiest way to do it is to put your nail in the top left corner then just push a little. Thats my 2 cents
    The Ever-Living

Global Posts
    5,097 Global Posts
    ROM
    KANG

Quote Originally Posted by FrankXS View Post
    Here's how I do it...

-Frank
    nice haha

Global Posts
    612 Global Posts
    ROM
    N/A

Quote Originally Posted by Synycalwon View Post
    I've never had a problem getting the cover off with just a fingernail, which are always kept very short, even when the phone was new. It comes off a little easier now since I usually swap batteries once a day, less when using the extended battery. I just lay the phone face down on a hard surface with a paper towel underneath to protect the screen from getting scratched. Then use my fingernail at the top with my palm near the 4G LTE symbol and pull the cover up. It snaps right up. Doesnt hurt my nail at all or put any abnormal wear anywhere on the battery cover.
    Pretty much my method I posted earlier, but one positive note is that after doing it a few times (in my case is was demonstrations for technical support agents), you get good as doing it without having to set it down.
    Former Verizon Wireless Technical Consultant
  21. Thread Author  Thread Author    #21  

Quote Originally Posted by the one and only M View Post
    I found myself frustrated for some time with this problem. The trick is to make sure you're not holding the door down while trying to pry it off.

The battery door is the one design aspect I hate about the hardware.
    That's the thing. I don't really hate it because it feels sturdy and not cheap.
    But so far, it has just been a pain to get it off without a fight.
    My Devices:

Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX
    Apple iPad 3 (soon to be Nexus 7)

Like many things of mechanical nature, it's really about technique. Once you get that down, it's rather simple to pull the battery cover off with just your fingernail. Besides, I'd rather have this "problem" than have no option at all to replace/remove your own battery!!