4th Thunderbolt.. seriously?

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure you could call. Just explain, if that is faster for you than going into a store. The benefit of a store is that you'd know right away.

This is definitely starting to sound like a battery issue.

-Frank

From my experience, the stores don't carry any replacement phones or batteries anymore so it'll probably need to be sent anyway so its saving gas!! haha

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
what does it mean when you say battery spin, sorry i am new to this
It means the battery has at one time overheated and swelled in the middle. That's why it would not lay flat on a table. And why it would keep spinning when you twirled it.

This often happens when batteries near the end of their life. But, with proper care, that should be at least 6 months and probably 1-2 years.

-Frank

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
If you can, put your phone on airplane mode to see if that stops the current drain. I had the same issue with my phone at first but now I'm on the mr2 radio everything seems fine. I also keep the phone on 4 g only when I need fast download speeds. 3g all other time. I get really sweet battery life now.

Mortiel

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
Fresh reset, I didn't install anything but battery monitor widget. I did setup mail sync from my google account, but disabled contact and calendar sync. Nothing else syncing, no other apps. I haven't tried a different app but it is painfully obvious that something is wrong because the battery is ridiculous. Same battery from my original device, which was fine battery wise for a few weeks before the screen issue.

I don't use active sync, I'll check the blockbuster thing, I think I have it disabled though though. I use just a few apps, Facebook (sync 4 hrs), twitter (sync whatever the highest time is), google voice, battery monitor widget, spottily, speed test and zedge backgrounds.

I do not have another battery, during my tests the device was plugged in, and I waited 1 hour after reset to look at the data. Same charger, I do not have another other than just USB through my computer. Infact, the USB can not support the phone, it still drains while charging via USB. :/

Thanks for your help frank!

So you have the mAh (milli-amp-hours) and temperature, but what voltage is it putting out when charging versus not charging?

I have nothing auto-syncing except my work email (which is an unfortunate necessity) and weather. I actually removed my Flikr account from the phone entirely because it kept turning its auto-sync back on, forcing me to check every day to turn it back off.

Keep in mind no battery monitoring is infallible, so these measurements should be considered relative. Also remember that any always-on monitor such as a battery monitor uses a decent amount of resources, and thus battery power, to monitor. Not only that, but you have to turn the screen on to check it, which means the mAh instantly shoot up as well. I never use any system monitors.

Also, it is ALWAYS recommended to charge the device via A/C wall adapter, and not a computer USB port. A computer USB port puts out a fraction of the power.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
So you have the mAh (milli-amp-hours) and temperature, but what voltage is it putting out when charging versus not charging?

I have nothing auto-syncing except my work email (which is an unfortunate necessity) and weather. I actually removed my Flikr account from the phone entirely because it kept turning its auto-sync back on, forcing me to check every day to turn it back off.

Keep in mind no battery monitoring is infallible, so these measurements should be considered relative. Also remember that any always-on monitor such as a battery monitor uses a decent amount of resources, and thus battery power, to monitor. Not only that, but you have to turn the screen on to check it, which means the mAh instantly shoot up as well. I never use any system monitors.

Also, it is ALWAYS recommended to charge the device via A/C wall adapter, and not a computer USB port. A computer USB port puts out a fraction of the power.

I'll check the voltage.

Well the measurements come direct from the phone software via the developer API, and I trust this app considering I have been using it for years on all my android devices, family devices and even suggested it to friends.

I've got the monitor every 5 minutes, and haven't noticed any battery changes between using the app and not using it. Turning the screen on, for 5-10 seconds on the lowest level uses little power. And, the app doesn't give live readings, so if I leave it sit for an hour, I can see the 5 minute interval readings from the past hour with the screen off.

I always charge via A/C when available, but in the past, USB has provided enough power to charge at aprox 160mAh, where as the wall provides ~800mAh. Right now the phone drains 250mAh charging via USB.

Lurch81#AC

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
I always recommend calling they are more willing to help from my experience, gotten several replacements over phone where they wouldn't help in store

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Mr.Miagi

Nov 9, 2009
Visit site
I dont think the battery is going to be a permanent fix. I have having similar problems, my Thunderbolt gets 7 hours of VERY light use before its in the red and my battery does not spin on a glossy desk. I have checked my syncs and whats on numerous times and 4G is NEVER on. So I think I am driving to my local Verizon store to see what they say. I really dont think just wanting a phone to last a day is unreasonable.

Keep us posted I am interested in your results.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Hey again guys! Although this last night, my battery problems mysteriously disappeared, and I no longer have any issues, I am going to submit a request for replacement based on the fact that the bulging battery seems dangerous.

Giving them a call now, wish me luck!

NavasC

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I dont think the battery is going to be a permanent fix. I have having similar problems, my Thunderbolt gets 7 hours of VERY light use before its in the red and my battery does not spin on a glossy desk. I have checked my syncs and whats on numerous times and 4G is NEVER on. So I think I am driving to my local Verizon store to see what they say. I really dont think just wanting a phone to last a day is unreasonable.

Keep us posted I am interested in your results.
7 Hours doesn't sound that awful, and if you own a Thunderbolt, wanting it to last the whole day on stock battery is a little unreasonable :/

I get about 10 or so hours of battery life with minimal to light use of my phone, closer to 7 with medium use.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey again guys! Although this last night, my battery problems mysteriously disappeared, and I no longer have any issues, I am going to submit a request for replacement based on the fact that the bulging battery seems dangerous.

Giving them a call now, wish me luck!

It seems dangerous because it is dangerous.

Good call on getting a replacement either way.

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
7 Hours doesn't sound that awful, and if you own a Thunderbolt, wanting it to last the whole day on stock battery is a little unreasonable :/

I get about 10 or so hours of battery life with minimal to light use of my phone, closer to 7 with medium use.

Did you read my post? I think that it sitting idle on my nightstand with the screen off and not lasting 7 hours is ridiculous. I'm not in a 4G area, but I usually can last a day to a day and a half on one stock charge with medium-high use. (I send around 500-750 texts a day)

Definitely not unreasonable.

That's what these forums are for. To help fix problems via mysterious means. I know I myself was humming... hum... hum... hum... hum... the whole time!

-Frank

Heh, well get this.

Not only are they not sending me a stock battery (they're sending me the extended battery), they also tried to sell me two new phones for other lines on the plan. Erm.. seriously? :'( So, this means I can't use my $40 case I bought because I'll be using an extended battery.

Additionally, I enquired about the $30/unlimited mobile hot spot pro-rated thing (i.e.. use it for 7 days, pay $7)... NOPE. It's actually $20/?? GB data, not unlimited, and if I use it for just 1 day, I pay the whole $20. sweet.

I can't stand this bullcrap.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Heh, well get this.

Not only are they not sending me a stock battery (they're sending me the extended battery), they also tried to sell me two new phones for other lines on the plan. Erm.. seriously? :'( So, this means I can't use my $40 case I bought because I'll be using an extended battery.

Additionally, I enquired about the $30/unlimited mobile hot spot pro-rated thing (i.e.. use it for 7 days, pay $7)... NOPE. It's actually $20/?? GB data, not unlimited, and if I use it for just 1 day, I pay the whole $20. sweet.

I can't stand this bullcrap.
Not surprised about being offered the Extended battery. You'll like it. I've got four. Yes, four!

Anyway, about the MHS, (BTW, the normal minimum full monthly rate for tiered data is $30/mo, not $20/mo - since you said "the whole $20) probably if you used it for 23 days is would be $23. It sounds like maybe they have a "minimum" charge to turn it on/off. VZW has never before officially said it was literally prorated at $1.00/day. That was mostly conjecture on our part (my part too) because we were told it would be prorated and that it would be for days used.

-Frank

zachnelson

Apr 2, 2011
Visit site
Not surprised about being offered the Extended battery. You'll like it. I've got four. Yes, four!

Anyway, about the MHS, (BTW, the normal minimum full monthly rate for tiered data is $30/mo, not $20/mo - since you said "the whole $20) probably if you used it for 23 days is would be $23. It sounds like maybe they have a "minimum" charge to turn it on/off. VZW has never before officially said it was literally prorated at $1.00/day. That was mostly conjecture on our part (my part too) because we were told it would be prorated and that it would be for days used.

-Frank

Well, I have to use no case for now, so if I drop my phone I'm screwed.

Hmm well, it would be nice if the rep knew more about MHS, considering the fact that she said it was $20 lol.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Well, I have to use no case for now, so if I drop my phone I'm screwed.

Hmm well, it would be nice if the rep knew more about MHS, considering the fact that she said it was $20 lol.
Sounds like she was talking about the $20/2GB MHS plan for iPhones. EDIT: Sorry, I think I'm wrong there. $50/4GB is the lowest tiered data plan that includes MHS. So, that would be $20 over the $30/mo data plan. So that's prolly what the rep meant.

Don't know how much protection you want in a case, but I really like the one I use. Very unobtrusive and works for both standard and extended batteries. You don't really need much protection for the battery-back itself since they are cheap if you ever have to replace one. This case doesn't cover the battery-back. The hard rubber is very high-gloss shiny black, like patent leather.

http://shop.htcpedia.com/thunderbolt-hard-rubber-cases-extended-battery.html

-Frank

Last edited: