The Thuderbolt, sadly, is about to replaced....

cElos

Feb 11, 2011
Visit site
HTC Vigor Benchmark Spotted, Headed to Verizon with 1.5GHz Dual-core Processor and 720p HD Display? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The HTC "Vigor" is expected to launch within the next few months, replacing the Thunderbolt as the premiere HTC 4G device on Verizon. No doubt it will launch with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and Sense 3.0 on hand.

A leaked Verizon road map has the device launching in the first week of October.

I only post this because many believe that HTC has "given up" on the Thunderbolt, due to the utter lack of a Gingerbread update. This news only lends credence to that sentiment.

Klobius

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, until all phone system applications get optimized for the dual core, you won't see much of a difference in benchmarks.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
HTC Vigor Benchmark Spotted, Headed to Verizon with 1.5GHz Dual-core Processor and 720p HD Display? - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

The HTC "Vigor" is expected to launch within the next few months, replacing the Thunderbolt as the premiere HTC 4G device on Verizon. No doubt it will launch with Gingerbread 2.3.4 and Sense 3.0 on hand.

A leaked Verizon road map has the device launching in the first week of October.

I only post this because many believe that HTC has "given up" on the Thunderbolt, due to the utter lack of a Gingerbread update. This news only lends credence to that sentiment.

The Gingerbread update is obviously still being worked. It's also obvious that parts of whatever it is they have simply still don't play nice with LTE.

I'd like to see an update as much as everyone else, but how much would Verizon take if they released an update that simply didn't work? (Oh right...MR1).

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I want to know what it means as far as VZW's service and support of the device. Are we going to get an early update option?
1st) I don't believe VZW has ever said anything about any upcoming phone being a "replacement" for the TBolt. So I wouldn't expect any upgrade paths that way. 2nd) Regardless of the TBolt or any other phone, I personally believe that there will be unexpected/unforecast/unorthodox early upgrade offers made. Mainly because of them recently eliminating the NE2 and Annual Upgrade. But we'll have to wait to see how that plays out. Probably nothing like that in the next 6 months, IMHO.

-Frank

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site

racedog

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm one of those who can't wait to get rid of the TB. In any case, anymore its only about three months before the newest, latest, most powerful, is replacing the last big thing. That's just technology. Sometimes I'm happy where I am and take my time moving on and sometimes its all I can do to hang on to the old thing (keep from smashing it against the sidewalk) until the new latest thing is available.

That's what happens sometimes when you always want to be on the bleeding edge, sometimes it works out well and sometimes you damn near bleed to death.

neutronjeff

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Re: skeptical about rumored specs

Given our issues with battery, I find it very hard to believe all that power hungry hardware, on top of LTE. Who needs a 720p screen anyway? (On a 4" phone screen)

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
That's what happens sometimes when you always want to be on the bleeding edge, sometimes it works out well and sometimes you damn near bleed to death.
I understand. Assuming the release date actually comes true, that does give us TBolt owners approx. 8 months of a top-o-the-line phone though. Not bad by today's standards. And the Vigor (as well as the others) can't even do Voice/Data over 3G! :) (sorry, had to say that!)

The best thing for "bleeding edge" people is to have a family plan with members who give a rodent's behind about phones, as long as it talks. You can just keep using their upgrades and they don't care. Like me. LOL :D

I am pretty happy with my TBolt though. I know it had/has issues. But no more than I've seen other phones have. And HTC/VZW has been working on the issues well enough to satisfy me. The TB is performing pretty damned good now. And the next GB update should be the icing on the cake. Not a sandwich, but icing :)

Personally, I'm good to go

-Frank

Last edited:

The_Engine

Super Genius
Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
Dual core and/or Gingerbread or even Ice Cream Sandwich won't mean much. When you start seeing 2nd generation LTE modems then these 4g devices will be in for a real update. Otherwise it's very incremental. The next gen modems will be faster, more efficient, and smaller.

Not saying this device isn't a nice upgrade but you'll still have serious battery issues.

Besides there is always something just over the hill with Android.

Forgetful

Energy hoarder
Jan 30, 2011
Visit site
Meh, if the vigor doesn't have a 4.3 in screen they can keep. I can't go any smaller than 4.3. Also I love the kickstand too much, does the vigor have one?

When this phone comes out the owners are going to be mad again when quad core 2nd Gen LTE phones are announced at CES in January.

Mike_is_Mike

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site

Sadly? You won't be forced to get rid of your TB, besides, new and better phones is what this business is all about.....right?

recDNA

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
It would be nice if they got the thunderbolts problems solved before moving on....or offer us a replacement lte alternative that works properly - preferably a motorola.