Voice Data Simultaneously over 3g

JeterMeyer

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I need to have 3G voice and data simultaneously. I currently have a Verizon BB Bold and I use tether with unlimited data as my internet connection. I use it almost exclusively for email and searching the web so the data usage is pretty minimal and so I stay under the radar from Verizon. But I need to be able to be on the phone and find something at the same time. Right now I need to hang up the call, go find something and get back on the call. TB is the only phone I see that can do this and no one seems to know if any future phones will do this. I can't wait for 4G everywhere.

If I bought a TB from VZW today would it come with the latest updates? If so, without rooting my phone, I would like to buy a tethering app and do exactly what I have today except for simultaneous voice and data without having to pay verizon for tethering.

Will I be able to do that? If not does someone have other suggestions?

Thanks, JeterMeyer

Mordecaidrake

Dec 24, 2009
Visit site
You can use voice and data at the same time on the TB on both 3g and 4g. As for tethering you can try PDA net, but without rooting your options are extremely limited in that regard.

Jux

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
As far as I am aware, without rooting and installing a custom ROM, you will not be able to use tethering without subscribing to a Mobile Hotspot plan with Verizon. Someone here may be able to correct me, however.

The phone you buy today MIGHT come with the latest updates - I bought mine before the MR2 update but once I booted it up it still ran several updates, so it was clearly not up to date. Even if the one you have isn't completely up to date, it will quickly update itself once it connects to the VZW network.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
As far as I am aware, without rooting and installing a custom ROM, you will not be able to use tethering without subscribing to a Mobile Hotspot plan with Verizon. Someone here may be able to correct me, however.

The phone you buy today MIGHT come with the latest updates - I bought mine before the MR2 update but once I booted it up it still ran several updates, so it was clearly not up to date. Even if the one you have isn't completely up to date, it will quickly update itself once it connects to the VZW network.

You would be correct by normal standards of obtaining free wireless tethering. You would need to be at least rooted and if you device requires it would also need to be running a custom ROM also to get free wireless tethering which can be obtained from the Market.

As far as the updates go, it will do as the other posts here have said. Either come fully updated or as soon as you connect to the VZW network for the first time and log in it will update your phone to all the latest firmware/OS, etc. updates.

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
I know the simultaneous Voice/Data is available on the phone itself. And I know simultaneous Voice/Data is available via the VZW feature of Mobile Hotspot/Mobile Broadband Connect. I use it all the time. What I'm not sure of is if you can use one of the available tethering programs to bypass the VZW fee and still get simultaneous Voice/Data while tethered. Possibly not.

PDANet is one tethering program that can be used with the TBolt without rooting to do what you are doing now with your BB. USB or Bluetooth - not Wifi Hotspot.

As far as the phone coming with the latest OTA updates - it might. But that is no big deal. It only takes about a half hour to complete the whole thing. Probably the sales rep will do it for you if you buy in a store.

-Frank

Last edited:

JeterMeyer

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
You would be correct by normal standards of obtaining free wireless tethering. You would need to be at least rooted and if you device requires it would also need to be running a custom ROM also to get free wireless tethering which can be obtained from the Market.

As far as the updates go, it will do as the other posts here have said. Either come fully updated or as soon as you connect to the VZW network for the first time and log in it will update your phone to all the latest firmware/OS, etc. updates.
Thanks for all the quick answers. Frank do you know if I can use PDANet without rooting and not pay VZW for tethering? I don't care about the wifi hot spot, just USB and bluetooth are fine. And we know this works with the latest updates? I'm afraid it works and then get the latest update and VZW has found a way to shut it off. Does anyone else know of a future VZW phone coming that will do Voice and Data on 3G? Will the HTC Vigor have the same feature or is TB the only one going to provide this feature on 3G?

Thanks

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the quick answers. Frank do you know if I can use PDANet without rooting and not pay VZW for tethering? I don't care about the wifi hot spot, just USB and bluetooth are fine. And we know this works with the latest updates? I'm afraid it works and then get the latest update and VZW has found a way to shut it off. Does anyone else know of a future VZW phone coming that will do Voice and Data on 3G? Will the HTC Vigor have the same feature or is TB the only one going to provide this feature on 3G?

Thanks
Yeah, PDANet can be used without issues. To my knowledge, there won't be any more VZW phones with Voice/Data capability any time soon, or until the world adopts LTE. As for VZW finding a way to shut off free tethering, that is always a concern. Has been for the last 8+? years (since whenever EVDO came out and I first started using free tethering on flip phones). Now I pay for the MHS. Because I can afford it, and it is a business expense to me. Very nice feature.

PDANet: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.pn.helper&feature=search_result

-Frank

wildman

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I got the unlimited Hotspots plan when I bought my device because I use mine for work and I do not want to guess when I can and can not use it because it gets blocked... The 30.00 isn't a bad price in my opinion for what I can do with my device now.... I have used Hotspots, browse web on phone and made call on device without missing a beat. I also download files from work server for up coming jobs and even with me being on 3g I haven't had one issue..

My thought on this is you get what you pay for....

anon(5316299)

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
My thought on this is you get what you pay for....

I agree. I am rooted, running CM7, and have wired and wireless tether built into the ROM that works just dandy. I still pay $30 for unlimited tethering, because I don't want to run the risk of getting shut off, or getting moved off my $30 unlimited data plan. $60 for unlimited everything is pretty darn good these days.

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a fully stock TBolt with the most current updates. Pdanet works perfectly. But you must get the install exe from the pdanet website. Don't look for it in the android market.

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I have a fully stock TBolt with the most current updates. Pdanet works perfectly. But you must get the install exe from the pdanet website. Don't look for it in the android market.

Or you can turn on airplane mode, connect to wifi, and still get it off the marketplace ;) At least you used to be able to do that, I think you still can though.

JeterMeyer

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
With Verizon cracking down according to BGR on people who tether, is there anyway to avoid them finding out? I don't use a lot of data. I use it mostly for email and web, but no video streaming or gaming. How do they detect it? Since I can go to the same website from my phone vs connecting to my laptop, how do they know which device it is coming from? The browser?

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
With Verizon cracking down according to BGR on people who tether, is there anyway to avoid them finding out? I don't use a lot of data. I use it mostly for email and web, but no video streaming or gaming. How do they detect it? Since I can go to the same website from my phone vs connecting to my laptop, how do they know which device it is coming from? The browser?
This would probably be the perfect Forum for this question... Verizon Forum:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/verizon/

I just found this Verizon Forum yesterday. Wish I had noticed it before. It is listed, but you have to scroll almost to the very bottom of the Forum list, under "US Carriers".

-Frank

Last edited:

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
You do not need to root. I'm using EasyTether, purchased online, not from the Market, and am getting 4G tethered speed and I love it. I can stream Netflix or whatever and no worries, no rooting. And I can talk on the phone while tethered, too. Love it!

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

traumahawk

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
Just root and leave it stock and use barnacle tether. It's free. I use it to stream for netflix on my tablet running CM7 from my rooted (and custom ROM) tbolt. I can broadcast WiFi. Talk on phone, and use internet on phone at same time. Just make the plunge. I didnt want to root at first.. back when i had Sprint still, but god I'm glad I did. I'll never buy a phone without a rooting community behind it again.

sent from my Thunderbolt using Tapatalk

dhendriksen

Android Addict
Feb 25, 2011
Visit site
You do not need to root. I'm using EasyTether, purchased online, not from the Market, and am getting 4G tethered speed and I love it. I can stream Netflix or whatever and no worries, no rooting. And I can talk on the phone while tethered, too. Love it!

Does Easy Tether require a USB connection between the phone and "tethered device"? Is it Bluetooth? Is it WiFi? Just thinking of what devices could take advantage of such a connection.

o2bnclemson

Nov 30, 2009
Visit site
Does Easy Tether require a USB connection between the phone and "tethered device"? Is it Bluetooth? Is it WiFi? Just thinking of what devices could take advantage of such a connection.

I think it has a bluetooth option, but I just use the USB cable to tether. It is not, to my knowledge, WiFi, though that connection can be achieved if you're rooted